It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Received news last night....the doctor called me

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-10-2005, 09:01 AM   #1
    parrothead5000
    (female)

parrothead5000 HB User
    Received news last night....the doctor called me

at 7:45 last night sounding very concerned. I've always been somewhat Anemic, in fact when I had my son, I became very, very anemic and they didnt let me leave the hospital till I got my numbers up. I was taking prescription iron and stopped a few years ago. That was 4 years ago and honestly havent given Anemia much thought.

Last night the doctor calls and said that in February my Hemoglobin was 12.4, last week we did a routine blood workup and my Hemoglobin is 10.7. He sounded very concerned, which frankly got me pretty scared. He said he wants to get me in immediately for a colonoscopy, have I been having bloody stools (no), does anyone in my family have colon cancer (no), etc. I asked him if I should be concerned and he said, "Well, this is concerning to me". He said he's concerned that it's gone down so much within the last six months.

The last year or so, I've been having shortness of breath and heart palpitations (which I see here can be symtoms of Anemia).

I read this board quite a bit last night and 10.7 doesnt seem so bad, any idea why he's sounding so gloom and doom? Frankly, he has me pretty scared.

Thanks!

Dawn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2005, 08:53 PM   #2
    Baby#4
    (female)

Baby#4 HB User
    Re: Received news last night....the doctor called me

It's low, It's been 4 yrs since my son had this but i think the #'s should be above 13 i could be rong. I would just go back on you're iron if that is what you were takeing, as long as no blood in you're poop, just take the iron. Are you getting enough meat? that is a must, Just cause you don't see blood when you poop doesn't mean it's not there.

Last edited by Baby#4; 08-16-2005 at 09:00 PM.

Old 09-01-2005, 02:57 PM   #3
    WhiteLight
    Inactive
    (female)

WhiteLight HB User

Try pulses, beans etc and things like that. Anything and everything that is high in iron, eat it. I remember my dad was told to eat all of this stuff when his iron level was down to 4.0.

Good luck x

Old 09-02-2005, 04:08 PM   #4
    flintrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

My aunt is having same problem...every 2 weeks she has to go in for blood...the next week they check her level and it's a 9...even a 7....she has colon cancer and won't go in for surgery or treatment...she's in denial...her doctors are not happy with her. They say if she doesn't go in and correct the problem....which is a mass that is sucking all her blood and she's not making any new....then they will stop giving her blood..........do get it checked out...cause you never know.............things caught soon enough are fixable........

Old 09-02-2005, 04:32 PM   #5
    kerry1
    Inactive

kerry1 HB User

A sudden dive from 12 to 10 should concern your doctor. 12-13 is normal for a woman; below that is anemic; and 10 is definitely anemic. You are either losing blood or not producing enough. Either way, it needs to be checked, and FAST.

Did you get a CBC (complete blood count)? I got one earlier this spring that showed I had anemia and kidney failure both - the kidney failure was causing the anemia. Shortness of breath and heart palpitations are common symptoms of anemia. Now that I'm on my way to recovery I don't have those symptoms anymore.

Don't let the doc's doom & gloom get in your way. Get the colonoscopy and get a CBC if you haven't already. The quicker the treatment, the more likely you'll beat this, whatever it is. I was two minutes away from dialysis. But they treated me aggressively and I don't have to do dialysis! Thank goodness......

Last edited by kerry1; 09-02-2005 at 04:41 PM.

Old 09-02-2005, 04:35 PM   #6
    kerry1
    Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhiteLight
    Try pulses, beans etc and things like that. Anything and everything that is high in iron, eat it. I remember my dad was told to eat all of this stuff when his iron level was down to 4.0.

Good luck x
    If your Dad was down to 4.0 he should have been in the hospital getting blood transfusions. Was he?? Eating iron-rich foods is helpful only if you're somewhat anemic - when it gets dangerously low there's probably something else going on besides diet.

Old 09-11-2005, 03:03 PM   #7
    WhiteLight
    Inactive
    (female)

WhiteLight HB User

Yes he was. The doctor called a ambulance from the surgery. After several blood transfusions he was ok again for another month. My dads levels kept going low all the time.

Well, I'm only saying what the doctor told my dad to eat (pulses etc).

Last edited by WhiteLight; 09-11-2005 at 03:05 PM.

Closed Thread