It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Need Help Re: Bloodwork Results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-10-2005, 10:08 AM   #1
    hapunch
    (female)

hapunch HB User
    Need Help Re: Bloodwork Results

Hello... Yep, I'm new here. I've learned sooo much from so many of you over the last couple of days. Thanks you!

I'd appreciate any advise re:my recent bloodwork results. My GP recently sent me to do some bloodwork just to check my gen. health. The nurse called me last week to inform me that my results were fine except for my iron levels/CBC were low etc. and that the Dr. was concerned and wanted to do some add'l testing. Fine... but, I also wanted to share the results with my GYN. with whom I just so happened to have an appt w the following week. My GYN. (who I kinda trust more) told me that my results were not that bad. He suggested that I just incr. my iron rich foods and take Feosol 3Xs a day for a daily total of 1,000 mgs. and get it rechecked in 6 mos.

iron 28(low);iron bind. cap. 398(ok);sat. 7%(low);ferritin 5(low);hemog. 11.3(not terrib.);hemcrit. 34(not terrib.);a few more readings - dont have them here...

So... What do you think of my results? Should I be more concerned than my GYN??? I'll work with both of them, but would appreciate some guidance. I do suffer from depression, tired all the time and for the record, my menses are heavier and more clotty these days, but they are still very regular.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2005, 01:15 PM   #2
    KritterKeeper

KritterKeeper HB User
    Re: Need Help Re: Bloodwork Results

Your GYN sounds very practical. Chances are taking iron tablets will boost up your blood supply. I would mention that your periods are heavier--that's the main cause of low iron and anemia in women. Also low iron levels actually can cause your periods to be a bit heavier. Doesn't make sense does it? My hematologist explained that to me. After several weeks to a few months of taking the iron your blood counts should improve. If not your dr will address this again.

Old 09-11-2005, 12:59 PM   #3
    hapunch
    (female)

hapunch HB User

KritterKeeper:

Thank you for your prompt reply. It was helpful!

BTW, what do you think of my iron/ferritin levels etc.? I've read many postings on this exact subject, but opinions have been all over the place. Perhaps, your insight as a Sen. Member (along w my Drs.) would be helpful to me and others as well that are new to this site .

Take care,
    hapunch
    aka hawaiian punch

Old 09-11-2005, 04:07 PM   #4
    KritterKeeper

KritterKeeper HB User

Sure they're low. My ferritin has been as low as 3 and even with iron therapy doesn't rise much. If you keep taking the iron your levels will rise slowly. Low iron is realy only a health issue if/when it causes anemia. Many folks confuse low iron with being anemic-not so. Anemia is determined by your blood counts (Hgl, Hct) I'm ALWAYS iron deficient (Ferritin below 10) but I'm not always anemic. With good eating habits and being diligent about taking your iron tablets you should see marked improvement in your blood counts. Be warned it can take weeks to months. If not your dr will address other treatment tactics. It is most important that your dr discover why you are anemic and your iron counts are low. If it is your periods that usually easily addressed and remedied.

Old 09-13-2005, 04:55 AM   #5
    hapunch
    (female)

hapunch HB User

Kritterkeeper...Thanks

For others reading this post, it didn't take long to realize that KritterKeeper really knows her stuff! Not only did I feel her thoughts on my questions were valuable, she's also been a true-blue source for others on this forum as well. I would encourage you if you have a concern you wish to address (in addition to your Dr.), KritterKeeper comes highly recommended! (But, don't "swamp" her just the same!).

Old 09-13-2005, 11:10 AM   #6
    KritterKeeper

KritterKeeper HB User
    Talking Re: Need Help Re: Bloodwork Results

You're most welcome--I'm just a fellow anemic from way back! I've gotten a lot of practical info and advise from various physicians. Most of the time anemia can be easily addressed and should not become a serious health hazzard--PROVIDING the medical professionals we consult LISTEN! Most of us are sooooo concerned with caring for others we forget ourselves. To be "blown off" by a doctor or nurse when we're finally bringing forth our own problems is just so callous and downright infuriating! Don't you all agree???

Closed Thread