It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• slightly anemic during pregnancy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-20-2005, 03:22 PM   #1
    waiting4baby05
    (female)

waiting4baby05 HB User
    slightly anemic during pregnancy

I was told that I was slightly anemic about 2 weeks ago. I am not 31 weeks pregnant. They told me to take iron pills but I have been neglectful in taking them. Tmi..sorry. But they make me constipated and I hate taking them. Does anyone know what side effects to having anemia and not taking anything for it will have? I don't even know what the symptoms and side effects of anemia are. Someone please educate me a little.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2005, 06:29 AM   #2
    KritterKeeper

KritterKeeper HB User
    Red face Re: slightly anemic during pregnancy

Read thru the other posts. It is foolish not to take the supplements given to you by your dr. You want the absolute best for your baby. There are iron supplements that are less likely to cause you discomfort. Ask about these. You can also try and eat more iron rich foods (again check other posts.) Why risk your health or that of your baby over something so simple???

Old 10-21-2005, 07:43 AM   #3
    lindsalou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lindsalou HB User
    Re: slightly anemic during pregnancy

When i was expecting, my midwife recommended a product called spatone water. Its an iron enriched water thats completly natural. I took ( and still do) 2 sachets mixed with orange juice (vit c helps the boby absorb iron) daily. It doesnt cause any stomach issues.
    Kritter keeper is quite right that it would be foolish not to take anything. Better to do something now than wait until you really are anemic (not very pleasant i can assure you).
    In my case i couldnt tolerate iron tablets, and have since had to have a course of iron infusions - again not very pleasant.
    I think you would be wise to address this problem now rather than let it get anyworse.
    Good Luck with the baby

Old 10-22-2005, 06:16 AM   #4
    Tauri79
    (female)

Tauri79 HB User
    Re: slightly anemic during pregnancy

The others are right. You really should take supplements if you've been advised too. However, I know how horrible straight forward Iron tablets are, I can't take them either.

I spoke to a pharmacist and she recommended some iron tablets that are slow release (which is gentler on your stomach) and have vitamin C with them. Vitamin C helps you to absorb the Iron easier.

Obviously you should talk it through with your doctor. As you are pregnant you need to know that anything you take if safe. But if you're having problems with the Iron tablets definitely tell them. They may well be able to recommend something else.

Closed Thread