It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Mild Anemia - Fatigue?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-15-2006, 10:31 AM   #1
    Pixie928
    (female)

Pixie928 HB User
    Mild Anemia - Fatigue?

Hello everyone. I have been having some problems with mild anemia due to heavy - long periods. I'm actually scheduled to have surgery tomorrow to deal with these problems. For a while now, I have had mild anemia that has basically gone untreated. My hemoglobin has been as high as 9.8 and as low as 8.2. I am currently at 9.1. My question is, can mild anemia cause intense fatigue? I have been soooooo tired all the time, dizzy and at times not able to think clearly. I feel that my numbers aren't low enough to be causing this type of fatigue. I have just been prescribed Repliva 21/7 to help build up my iron and am hoping that will help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2006, 10:44 AM   #2
    Merimac
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User
    Re: Mild Anemia - Fatigue?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pixie928
    Hello everyone. I have been having some problems with mild anemia due to heavy - long periods. I'm actually scheduled to have surgery tomorrow to deal with these problems. For a while now, I have had mild anemia that has basically gone untreated. My hemoglobin has been as high as 9.8 and as low as 8.2. I am currently at 9.1. My question is, can mild anemia cause intense fatigue? I have been soooooo tired all the time, dizzy and at times not able to think clearly. I feel that my numbers aren't low enough to be causing this type of fatigue. I have just been prescribed Repliva 21/7 to help build up my iron and am hoping that will help.
    Yes. Iron that is lost quickly through a monthly period or from a sudden gastro bleed, can cause more fatique than a chronic low blood hemaglobin. It has to do with the body's coping mechanisms to slow down activity so the oxygen that is available can be spread out to the important places such as heart and brain. If you have a slow persistant seepage, the body adjusts by increasing blood volume and heart rate for a while.

Old 02-15-2006, 01:06 PM   #3
    lindsalou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lindsalou HB User

Hi Pixie,
    My hb always seems to hold out pretty well, but my ferritin levels are low (<3). Like yourself mine is caused by heavy periods.
    I was undiagnoised for a lot of years, as they only ever tested my hb levels and not my ferritin (your bodies actual iron stores), so i gradually worsened to the point of needing iron infusions.
    Could I be nosy and ask what proceedure your having done?
    I do believe that my low ferritin levels have caused me a lot of symptoms ie, fatigue, anxiety, breathlessness etc, so maybe you should enquire as to what your levels are.
    Good Luck
    Linds

Old 02-15-2006, 02:10 PM   #4
    Pixie928
    (female)

Pixie928 HB User

Hi.

My ferritin is at 0. So I suppose that's not so great.

I am going in to have a hysteroscopy, D&C and endometrial ablation. They found some polyps that they are going to remove. Hopefully this will help. For the past year and a half, my periods have been 2+ months long with usually only 14 days in between. Reading these boards, its amazing to see how many women suffer with the same issues.

Old 02-15-2006, 05:15 PM   #5
    Merimac
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User

I am speculating personally, that this issue with women is now coming to light, because your average teenaged girl starts in to puberty earlier than she used to. I am also speculating that they will eventually find out scientifically, that the female body in general seeks an iron level that is not necessarily the same level as a chart on the wall. Although people have illness and disease, I believe that some of the medical adjustments and tinkering with the human body to prolong life, go in the wrong directions sometimes. I have refused iron therapy since 2002, and I have had some lower counts, but it did not overall hurt me nor keep me from having a quality life. I do not recommend this for anyone except myself. I heard the other day at a local place of business that a woman had a heart attack caused by the iron shot going to the heart vessel creating a blockage, rather than to the liver, where it was intended to be stored. That has me wondering.....

Last edited by Merimac; 02-15-2006 at 05:17 PM.

Old 02-15-2006, 05:30 PM   #6
    MommaBee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MommaBee HB User

One more thing that you should have checked when you are anemic is your level of B12. Both iron and B12 work to keep oxygen in your blood. Without either you are starving. I was anemic and have been on iron- ferrous sulfate 325mg and a sublingual tab(under the tongue lozegen) of B12, 1000mcg for it and now I am recovered.
    At my worst, I couldn't even lift my arms, the fatigue was so bad. My legs ached. I could hardly move with out feeling totally exhausted. I hope that everything works out for you. Keep us posted!

Old 02-16-2006, 04:04 PM   #7
    KritterKeeper

KritterKeeper HB User
    Talking Re: Mild Anemia - Fatigue?

Ditto with the last couple of posts. I also believe dr.s "tinker" all too often. Although I needed the iron infusions to bring my blood counts into normal range the last one darn near killed me. Yes, I continue to be severely iron deficient but can usually keep the anemia at bay. The body is remarkably tolerant. If you are having health issues it is important to pursue all avenues AND options but treatment is not always necessary. Symptoms associated with anemia are also associated with too many other conditions to count! It is also possible to function quite well when one is anemic. As long as you are under the care of a competant physician and TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF your quality of life need not be impaired. Do you know anyone who is in "perfect" health??

Closed Thread