It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• worried about becoming anemic (again)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-21-2006, 05:56 PM   #1
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User
    worried about becoming anemic (again)

About a year and a half ago I had really low iron, due to giving blood. Since then, my numbers have been up.

I had surgery a few weeks ago, and he did pre-op labs a month prior and my numbers were 40 and 13 at a dehydrated time (I didn't realize they were going to take blood).

I'm worried about becoming anemic because I lost a lot of blood after it (well a lot to me.. it was septoplasty and a lot of nose bleeding.. now it's mostly clots though) now I have my period.. and I get a very heavy period.. changing full super plus every 3 hours (sorry if TMI).... so I'm worried about anemia because of my history with it and I haven't really been eating all that great because I haven't felt well after the surgery... have a sinus infection, had to go on steriods and half of face is numb.

I know I could take vitamins, but they don't release that quickly. Is it something I should talk to my dr about?

For more info.. I'm 24/female

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2006, 07:40 PM   #2
    Siena
    Inactive
    (female)

Siena HB User
    Re: worried about becoming anemic (again)

Of course, it's something you should talk to your doctor about! You should discuss ANY health concern you have with your doctor, even if the concern isn't that doctor's specialty area. For one thing, the doc needs to know all that's not right with you in order to better treat you. For another thing, all doctors have a general medical education and can answer basic medical questions.

Regarding taking iron, it won't kill you to take a standard iron supplement each day for a few weeks. or a multivitamin with folic acid and other things. Your symptoms may be something other than anemia, so adding the vitamin could help. And don't be discouraged thinking it takes a lot of time to work. I've noticed some effects from taking iron after only about 20 minutes. It won't cure your anemia in 20 minutes, but it will boost your blood iron levels.

About the heavy periods, you ought to talk to your gynecologist. They have ways to treat menstrual bleeding when it gets so heavy that it causes anemia. I can't evaluate how heavy your bleeding is, but it doesn't seem so bad to me. When I'm bleeding badly, I may need a new tampon every 45 minutes. OTOH, that's only for a day, not for the entire duration of my period. I'd definitely see the gynecologist.

Closed Thread