It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• How often do you get tested once diagnosed?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-14-2006, 11:47 AM   #1
    vtgrl
    (female)

vtgrl HB User
    How often do you get tested once diagnosed?

I was diagnosed with IDA last May. My hemoglobin was 9, and I was trying to exercise and not having a very good time. I was also getting migraines, having palpitations all the time, and was generally pretty tired. Taking Niferex resolved the problem according to the last blood test I took in September. My doc seemed to think the case was closed, even though no cause was ever found for the deficiency (I have basically NO period, and eat a very healthy, iron-rich diet). I am starting to get symptoms again, especially the migraine and high HR on exercise, so I think I might be getting anemic again. But my doc seems to think I'm a nuisance to keep asking to get tested.
    So I'm wondering how often those of you who were diagnosed with IDA get retested, especially if no cause was found. It seems like regular monitoring would make sense, because I'm a bit scared I will get an iron overload if I just keep taking the supplements. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm really not sure if I'm just worn out or if something else is going on...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2006, 01:33 PM   #2
    BlueBelle2

BlueBelle2 HB User
    Re: How often do you get tested once diagnosed?

I'm not sure what IDA stands for. But, I would try to get in to see a hemotologist, especially if you feel anemic again. I don't like your docs attitude...he works for you. At our clinic, if at any time, between appointments you feel anemic you can go in yourself and request an H&H level check. At this point I am getting my blood checked at least every two weeks to once a month. When my blood is stable I can go longer, but for the last 2 years it hasn't been more than 3 months.

Good Luck.

Old 04-14-2006, 01:50 PM   #3
    ANNETTE73
    (female)

ANNETTE73 HB User

I am on medications where I have to get a blood test every 2 months and my doctor aways includes a CBC. Last time my anemia was realy bad. But because I have anemia of chronic disease mine might be different from yours. My hemaglobin is always around 9 to 10. I get the tiredness, shortness of breath, and the chest pains. The iron suplements would not work for me. Once my RA gets under control then the anemia should get better. My doctor told me the only thing that I can do for the anemia is to take my meds. for my rheumatoid arthritis. So I am tired from the RA itself, the meds and the anemia. I nap now almost every afternoon. Before all of this I couldn't nap during the day at all. I think that if you are feel upset over something that the doctor sould examine or do tests. For percaution and atleast to ease your mind that every thing is ok. Good Luck

Old 04-14-2006, 02:02 PM   #4
    vtgrl
    (female)

vtgrl HB User

IDA=Iron Deficiency Anemia

Old 04-21-2006, 04:09 PM   #5
    vtgrl
    (female)

vtgrl HB User

I got my doctor to test me again, and apaprently my iron is "very low" again. The nurse didn't give me a number, but my hemoglobin is 10.7. That doesn't seem so low to me given the way I've been feeling. I really haven't been able to exercise at all. I'm curious what you all think - is 10.7 low enough to cause significant symptoms during exercise? Should I wait until it gets higher to exercise again? Thanks, as always, for the input!

Old 04-22-2006, 02:43 PM   #6
    ANNETTE73
    (female)

ANNETTE73 HB User

My last blood test my hemaglobin was 9.8 and I also have some problems when I exercise. I get tired realy quickly, shortness of breath and chest pains. My doctor tells me that is from the low hemaglobin. I exercise as much as I can because I also have other health problems. I listen to my body. If I get tired I take a break and do some more exercise later. I read that doing 3X 10 minutes of exercise is just as good as doing 30 minutes contuniously. So for me every bit counts.

Closed Thread