It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Ferritin dropping fast!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-27-2006, 06:02 AM   #1
    Ritah
    (female)

Ritah HB User
    Unhappy Ferritin dropping fast!

I had an iron infusion seven months ago. I am having all the same symptoms again.
    This are results two months ago:

HGB 13.6
    Ferritin 123.5
    Iron serum 65
    TIBC 285
    % Saturation 23

Current Numbers, it dropped a lot!

HGB 13.6
    Ferritin 40.1
    Iron serum 58 Lo
    TIBC 311
    % Saturation 19 Lo

I am experiencing dizziness, hair loss and I am tired all the time. Last year, my doctor ignored my symptoms and suggested that I may be stressed or depressed. I finally demanded a referral to Hemetology. (HMO)
    They didn't even see me, they immediately sent me for the infusion. My ferritin had dropped to seven. It helped a lot and I began feeling better.
    I am taking three ferrous gluconate a day. (324mgs each) We tried several different irons , and this is the only one that bumped my numbers. It's not working now.
    I would appreciate any help. I know these numbers are not so drastic, but they are changing fast. Thanks!
    Rita

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2006, 06:37 AM   #2
    KritterKeeper

KritterKeeper HB User
    Re: Ferritin dropping fast!

No those number are not drastic. My ferritin falls much faster but I can usually manage to keep my blood counts in range for a longer period of time. It is the results of your CBC that are important. Ferritin is simply a measure of iron storage. You are not anemic according to the numbers you posted. Iron is simply an ingredient needed to manufacture red blood cells. It is only when you body becomes severely depleted of iron and you cannot absorb what you need on a daily basis that it can then lead to anemia. It is not an immediate result. I'm ALWAYS severely iron deficient (ferritin usually a 3 but has been as high as a 7 even AFTER several infusions of IV iron) but I am NOT always anemic. If your body does not absorb or store iron well have your dr.s addressed the cause? For women it is often heavy periods. GI issues are also known to cause iron problems. Most casues of anemia are easily addressed. There is rarely cause for alarm. The fact that your Hgb is solidly in range is a very good sign.

Old 04-29-2006, 09:57 PM   #3
    Pika
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pika HB User

Could I ask, would you get constipation after the iron infusion? I get very constipated after taking the iron pills. Could you take iron pill and laxative together? Would it affect the absorption?

Thanks

Pika.

Old 05-01-2006, 09:06 AM   #4
    KritterKeeper

KritterKeeper HB User

IV iron enters your bloodstream directly bypassing the GI system altogether therefor it should not affect you in that manner. It is possible to have unpleasant side effects but these are rare and your dr or nurse will probably go over them before the infusion. You will be monitored carefully during the infusion for the possibility of an allergic reaction. These are quite rare but can happen. Did to me and it wasn't fun but staff was right there to counter bad effects.

Old 05-08-2006, 05:12 AM   #5
    Pika
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pika HB User

Thanks for the reply. I don't like and don't want needles. I wish it can grow by itself by taking huge iron contains food. Well, I stopped some medicine and see how it goes!

Pika

Old 05-08-2006, 09:01 AM   #6
    Merimac
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User

There are foods and beverages that will prevent the storage of iron in some people. That would be caffeine, and fatblockers. A few other weightloss pills will also cause problems. Opiates, anti-depressants, and inhalers or other antiasthma medications. Steroids will also cause iron problems. All these medications cause side affects of fatigue as well.

Last edited by Merimac; 05-08-2006 at 09:02 AM.

Old 06-10-2006, 01:46 PM   #7
    MeadowOfLight
    (female)

MeadowOfLight HB User

When do they consider you are in need of an iron infusion- how far below? I've been experiencing dizziness and fatigue which I have battled with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in the past as a result of abusive dieting. I just did my labs today at work. They are extremely low:

HGB 11.8
    FE 19 (50-160)
    Ferritin 4.2 ng/ml (23.9-336.2)

I've never had an infusion and iron tabs make me sick.

Thanks- Meadow

Old 06-10-2006, 02:48 PM   #8
    jandk7195
    (female)

jandk7195 HB User

My numbers were
    Ferritin 1.2
    Iron 16
    Hgb 9
    Hematocrit - 29.4
    B12 - 115

I have been going for weekly iron infusion for the last 5 weeks and need to have about 11 more. I also have to take 2000 mcg of B12 a day. I will need the B12 forever. After my iron treatments they will try me on oral iron to see if I can absorb it at all or if I will need to continue with IV iron when needed.

Closed Thread