It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Iron Anemia question...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-23-2006, 11:18 PM   #1
    thephil
    (male)

thephil HB User
    Iron Anemia question...

I have been feeling very tired for months now. I went to a doctor and she suggested I had a blood test done. I did that and I found that the Iron was quite low in my blood (that is all the information that I received). The doctor said I was Iron Defiecient and she put me on Iron Supplements. I am also eating a iron rich diet. I had a stool sample done to assure that I wasn't loosing any blood in the digestive track (is that right), so now I'm quite confused and have some questions.

How much longer will the fatigue last?
    Are there any more issues I should be concerned with?
    Have you had iron defieciency and felt extreme fatigue to the point where going out and having a normal social life becomes very difficult?

I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

Last edited by thephil; 05-23-2006 at 11:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2006, 04:17 AM   #2
    Merimac
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User
    Re: Iron Anemia question...

Anemia can be rough because it can feel like depression and it feels like you can not go on sometimes. However, if your doctor did not do this, you need to have a kidney examination to find out if your kidney function is adequate and complete liver study done. I am assuming from your post that this was not done. It can be dangerous to prescribe iron to adults without first finding out the cause for the iron deficiency. Sometimes in these modern times young adults will use illegal and dangerous drugs which effect the way the bone marrow works. As we age,even if we don't use alcohol or drugs, we can sometimes develop the inability to utilize b-12 vitamins properly and that can lead to iron deficiency but if the vitamin supplement is not provided the iron deficiency continues, but the iron itself starts to collect around the heart, lungs, or liver, and is stored there. This can cause other complications such as lung, heart or liver failure down the road. So, if your doctor did not give you a complete check up to determine why you are iron deficient, make sure you ask for a complete check up. Intestinal and stomach bleeding are the most common reasons for iron deficiency, but not the only reason.

Last edited by Merimac; 05-24-2006 at 04:19 AM.

Closed Thread