It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Low Ferritin and Headache!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-09-2006, 08:50 AM   #1
    azgirl43
    (female)

azgirl43 HB User
    Low Ferritin and Headache!!!

I found out a month ago I have a ferritin of 6, I'm up to 33 right now. I have had this terrible headache since February. I was reading with iron deficiency that you can have a frontal headache. Has anyone else experienced a headache that they can't get rid of? Also if you did, did the headache go away once you raised your ferritin? Thx.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2006, 02:29 PM   #2
    Merimac
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User
    Re: Low Ferritin and Headache!!!

Iron supplements can cause headaches in some people. The ferritin level itself does not cause symptoms.

Old 07-09-2006, 06:28 PM   #3
    azgirl43
    (female)

azgirl43 HB User

I thought it was because of being iron deficient that I had these headaches. I had these headaches before I started the supplements. Also when I look up symptoms of iron deficiency, it says headaches is one of the symptoms. I never thought that the supplements might be doing it. I'm going to try to cut back, and see if it helps. Thanks for the idea.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:38 AM   #4
    au_girl
    (female)

au_girl HB User

Hi just new to this whole thing.

A couple of years ago (i was 20) i had horrible headaches so often i was sure i had a brain tumour. Finally went to the Drs, had blood tests done and a CT Scan of my brain - clear. My blood tests showed i had a Hb of 94 a drop from 124 a week b4 when i gave blood. (120-135 is normal for adult female is Australia). My Ferritin was about 5 i think, cant remember and i had NO iron stores. My Doc thought the headaches were related to the lack of iron and thought i did not absorb iron very well so i was started on a 13 week course of IM Iron injection in my bum (Painful and still have the bruises to this day).

Anyway long story short the headaches went away when my levels evened out but still have problems with tiredness, shortness of breath, heart palpitations and dizziness and the occassional headache but i just make sure i have a big juicy piece of steak usually takes care of it. Oh and i was told to never give blood again.

Hope this helps

Old 01-05-2007, 05:13 AM   #5
    meimei
    (female)

meimei HB User

Azgirl, if you have had a continuous headache for that long, you need to seek advice from your doctor - both in terms of treatment and to rule out anything serious. This kind of headache may not be related to your iron deficiency - I have had continuous headaches since October 2005 and I have normal iron levels. There are a range of medications and alternative therapies that might be able to relieve your headache - in terms of alt therapies I have tried acupuncture, chiropractor, remedial massage and dietary modification with varying degrees of success. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.
    ~meimei

Closed Thread