It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Pernicious Aneamia & Keeping up with B12

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-10-2006, 10:16 PM   #1
    sharond
    (female)

sharond HB User
    Pernicious Aneamia & Keeping up with B12

I was diagnosed with pernicious aneamia 9 months ago being depleted of Vitamin B12. At the time of diagnosis I had contracted a virus but had more happening to me that alerted the doctor to take some blood tests. I had numbness and tingling in my left hand and forearm which also later on deveoped in my left foot. I had several occasions where my whole arm went dead on me which frightened the life out of me. The biggest problem was fatigue where I could not function without having a 2-3 hour sleep sometime during the day. After initial weekly B12 shots I now have around one per month. I did let it slip for nearly 2 months because I had been through a total hysterectomy but found my symptoms coming back again and was told by my doctor that I would need these once a month for the rest of my life. What I want to know is from what I have read pernicious anaemia can effect the autoimmune system therefore if one does not keep up with their B12 shots is it true that you could develop MS, Lupus, Parkinsons? Just curious.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2006, 02:07 PM   #2
    Merimac
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User
    Re: Pernicious Aneamia & Keeping up with B12

A B-12 deficiency will give you similar symptoms that can be mistaken for those diseases. The long term effects of low b-12 are lowered immune system. The white cell counts can drop and cause you to be susceptible to opportunistic disease. The autoimmune disorders tend to cause the body to over react to normal body functions as though it were sick, producing more antibodies than needed. Complete B-12 deficiency can cause symptoms of mental illness such as depression, acute anxiety, some delusions, and possible paranoia and hallucinations. But this is caused by no stores of b-12 and inability to get b-12 from food sources or injections. A lot of people will experience peripheral neuropathy symptoms early before there is a great deficiency. Since it can be painful, it usually sends people to the doctor before it is too late.

Old 07-11-2006, 04:55 PM   #3
    sharond
    (female)

sharond HB User

Many thanks Merimac. You have given me a little more insight. We should be greatful that we have B12 shots available these days.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:02 PM   #4
    booemmy
    (female)

booemmy HB User

Hi Sharond, I'm booemmy and I was diagnosed with Pernicious Anemia a year ago this month.Not many people know about PA. Basically I was told my blood test for B12 was very low(170) and that I needed to get a shot a week for 4 weeks, then once a month for life. After all this time I don't really see much of an improvment.My last test,2months ago,was 319.I still have pain constantly,mostly on the top of my left foot.Are you in pain? I think you said your left foot hurt too.What are you taking? I'm on 150 mgs of Nortryptaline at night,it does'nt help.I was told to also take at least 1000 mcgs of Methylcobalamin, which is B12,in a sublingual form.Because I'm still so low,it was recommended that I take 5000mcgs,I've done it for a month.I usually log on at least once a day,drop me a line and we can comfort each other. boo

Old 07-17-2006, 07:36 PM   #5
    sharond
    (female)

sharond HB User

Hi Boo

Thanks for your reply. It's nice to talk to others in my situation as I have said I do not know of anyone else with PA. I don't have pain, just chronic tiredness when I am low on B12. My initial symptoms were pins and needles in my left hand, forearm and then progression to my left foot. Sometimes they would feel numb also. There were a couple of times that my whole arm just died on me and I could not lift or move it, it was pretty frightening. I also had bleeding gums and notice that this reappears also when I am due for my next shot. The tiredness is the biggest issue though sometimes so bad that I can't function. I work part time with my husband in our own business and sometimes wonder how I would function out in the real world with a real job which I am looking at doing soon. I don't know anything about the other stuff you are taking. I was told that because I am missing the intrinsic factor (sometimes think I am missing a lot of factors but anyhow) -(which absorbs B12 into my system) that anything like food, tablets etc would not help. A Biochemstry test I had done last year said the range was 130-780 and mine was 62 and that my B12 was deficient. I find these results difficult to read so hope I'm not steering you up the garden path. Sorry, Aussie expression, hope you know where I am coming from. What part of the world are you from? I gather a lot of people on this forum are from the States. O'h 4 months ago I had to have a total hysterectomy and during the recovery period I totally forgot my monthly B12 cause I was tired all the time anyway and my pins and needles came back. So, gather if left unattended for a period of time could lead to other things. Nice to chat. Take care of yourself. Sharond.

Old 07-27-2006, 02:39 PM   #6
    booemmy
    (female)

booemmy HB User

Hi sharond,sorry it took me so long to get back to you.I'm missing the intrinsic factor also,but I was told by a very well informed person,that when you take Methylcobalamin under the tongue it helps a lot. I take 5000mcgs a day.You might try it. It's going to take us a long time to build up our stores.Boo

Closed Thread