It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Need help interpreting blood draw results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-11-2006, 07:22 PM   #1
    sonshnes
    (female)

sonshnes HB User
    Need help interpreting blood draw results

Can anyone help??

My mom had blood drawn Friday, and we need help interpreting the results before seeing the doctor (it could be a while). A little background...she was diagnosed with angiodysplasia years ago and has had problems with anemia for probably 12 years as a result (or so we've been told). Her hemoglobin has been as low as 5 but as of Friday is 12.8. Her ferritin is 14 but has been as high as 45 (other than immediately following a series of 5 iron infusions). She typically gets the iron infusions when her ferritin is as low as it is right now, but this time, they told her that her iron count is 169 (she was told that is high). Her saturation is 56 and her binding is low. Her white and red blood counts are low. Can someone help us to understand these terms (ferritin vs. iron; saturation, and binding)? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2006, 04:48 PM   #2
    Merimac
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User
    Re: Need help interpreting blood draw results

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sonshnes
    Can anyone help??

My mom had blood drawn Friday, and we need help interpreting the results before seeing the doctor (it could be a while). A little background...she was diagnosed with angiodysplasia years ago and has had problems with anemia for Can someone help us to understand these terms (ferritin vs. iron; saturation, and binding)? Thanks!
    Ferritin is a protein that is utilized by the blood cells to contribute to the ability of the cell to carry oxygen to the body It is stored in the liver until needed. Iron is a mineral that is taken in by the body usually in food on a daily basis. It can be utilzed by the blood cells to bind oxygen molecules to the blood cells. The saturation number is a number relative to a range of normal that describes how many oxygen particles are able to bind to a red blood cell. A good range means good oxygen content in the blood cell. Poor range means that something in the cycle of cell making is impaired. This is generally a lack of a nutrient or some type of disease process. Binding refers to how well the oxygen molecules bind to the blood cell. A high number out of range means that the cell is creating a stickier surface to grab as much oxygen as possible(difficult). A normal reading means that there is sufficient amounts of needed molecules of oxygen available. Warning* All of this is happening at a level that is not visible to the naked eye, and there are no symptoms unless you hemorrhage suddenly, or over time the levels become so low that other body systems start to dysfunction. There are plenty of diseases and medications that can contribute to low red blood and white cell levels. One of the things that never usually gets mentioned in public forums, is that all the blood work ranges are done on a percentage of people and in reality there are people who go outside the normal ranges high and low who are not sick, it is just the way their body is. That is why a series of blood tests should be done to compare a person's
    normal or abnormal results to their own previous results.

The following user gives a hug of support to Merimac:
    mansura (08-25-2011)
    Closed Thread