It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Symptoms after yardwork, anemia related?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-17-2006, 10:09 AM   #1
    TheMamaLisa
    (female)

TheMamaLisa HB User
    Symptoms after yardwork, anemia related?

I have been anemic for over 1 year now. I have taken multi vitamins and iron pills but still remain anemic. I am supposed to take iron 3 times daily but I have a terrible time remembering. 2 days ago I worked out in my yard just weeding. I noticed toward the end of the day the muscles in my legs were trembling and I was having a hard time standing because I felt so weak.(I drank plenty of water during this time so I know it wasnt due to dehydration) I came inside to rest and have been extremly sore (muscular) ever since. I have also noticed I have bruises popping up everywhere. Even places you wouldnt normally see bruising like under my breasts and on the inside of my legs. They are small brusies but everywhere. Is this somthing I should talk to my provider about right away or should I just attribute it to my anemia and make sure I am taking my iron and it will go away. Or maybe it doesnt have anything to do with it at all? Anyone have advice for me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2006, 10:31 AM   #2
    Merimac
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User
    Re: Symptoms after yardwork, anemia related?

The bruising can be related to the weak blood vessel walls that can be caused by whatever is causing your anemia in the first place. If you over stress any muscle it will be sore. I love yardwork too and will get distracted and end up doing much much more than I thought I did. However, if you find your ability to work as long as you usually do is impaired then you might want to have this checked out. Usually the side effects of anemia prevent some one from exercising to their normal potential but does not effect how sore they are at the end of strenuous work because that has to do with the balance of chemicals in the muscles such as potassium and sodium and oxygen exchange.

Old 08-21-2006, 10:44 AM   #3
    japlopper
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

japlopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB User

Bruising could be from a bunch of different things, but if I were you, I'd ask the doctor to run a CBC with platelets.

When platelets are low, bruising occurs, and if platelets get too low, you need to be treated. I have ITP, it's a condition where my body sometimes attacks my platelets, leaving me with fewer platelets. When that happens, I'm covered in bruises and petichae, which are tiny red dots where things touch my skin. It's not life-threatening, but it's important to investigate bruising.

Take care,
    Jill

Old 08-24-2006, 05:11 PM   #4
    Shamrock
    (female)

Shamrock HB User

I have had the same thing happen to me while I do yard work. I ahve been anemic for a year and taking iron supplements doesn't seem to help. I went to my rheumatologist today(I have lupus) and he drew every blood test imaginable. He told me I may need to get iron infusions if my body isn't absorbing the iron quickly enough but he'll leave it up to my PCP. When I mow the lawn or pull up weeds I get very dizzy and I also have palpitations. I may have to see a hematologist. I've had an endoscopy and colonoscopy which were OK (they removed 2 polyps). They seem to think it could be from my periods. I'm 46 but I only have an occasionally heavy period. I can't take BCP's because of the lupus. These iron infusions sound terrible but I guess in order to feel better you have to do what you have to do. Best of luck!

Closed Thread