It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• B-12 Injections every other day for 2 years.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-17-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
    tcr1016

tcr1016 HB User
    B-12 Injections every other day for 2 years.

I had stomach surgery to rid me of my acid reflux. Well about 3 years after that I started getting headaches and tingling in my hands and feet and depression. I found a few sites on the net about B-12 deficiency and so I went to my doc and he ran a test. I rated soo low on B-12 I had to start injections immediately. That was 2 years ago. I was prescribed Cyanocobalamin. After about a month of everyday injections I tried once a week. My symptoms came back. So I went to every other day. Tried every three days (mainly because I got busy an forgot) and the headaches come back and the tingling gets worse. My doctor checked my folic acid and the whole thing and said I am healthy, but my red blood cells are large. So he kept me on it every other day since it kept away the headaches. well I have done that for about a year and a half. I also take Methylcobalamin tablets under the tongue 2X a day.

I asked in a forum about six months ago why after so long I am taking such a high dosage (doc did not know, like they ever do). A couple people said switch over to the Hydroxocobalamin inj. They will absorb better. Also Cyanocobalamin was found to damage the liver in high doses. It seems (my docs opinion and others) that my body is not wanting to convert it to B-12 efficiently.

So for the past 6 months I have been on Hydroxocobalamin inj push every other day. Sometimes daily if I have a hard workout or stressed. I lovered my dosage from 3ML to 2ML when I switched since doc said it would absorb better.

Well at this moment I have all my symptoms back since I was told to lower to 2ML, headaches, paranoia, depression, tingling feet and hands, loss of taste, confusion, etc. I havs shot 3ML of the Hydroxocobalamin inj everyday for the past 2 days and feel better, but I will need quite a few more to get the levels back up. My doc took a blood test and the B-12 level was high, but do not let that fool you. The blood test does not show what gets absorbed and used.

My question is there anyone else in this situation that can offer help? My thought is why do Docs not prescribe , Methylcobalamin and Adenosylcobalamin that are the naturally active forms and need no conversion since it seems my body does not want to convert it the others.

Any help, suggestions, comments will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2006, 09:27 PM   #2
    anah
    (female)

anah HB User
    Re: B-12 Injections every other day for 2 years.

Hi, I don't have answers to your questions, wish I did. I am curious about your doctor giving you the go ahead to take the b12 everyday, or every other day, etc. When I first started b12 injections, my doc told me everyday for a week, then once a week, then once a month. I felt alot better after the first week of everyday injections, did o.k. on once a week injections, but at once a month, I feel like I'm not getting any injections at all........I started feeling the same, and my skin was very dry before the injections once a day, the skin on my heels would crack and bleed................that improved remarkably and I was thrilled, but on once a month injections, my heels are cracking and painful again.

I asked the doc just several months into the monthly injections if I could have them once a week again, that I felt better and my skin was better on once a week b12 inj...........he said NO, that my body didn't need more, it was stored and anymore than once a month would simply be eliminated through urination................that was a year and a half ago. I really want them once a week.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:38 PM   #3
    rake
    Inactive
    (male)

rake HB User
    Re: B-12 Injections every other day for 2 years.

My question is there anyone else in this situation that can offer help? My thought is why do Docs not prescribe , Methylcobalamin and Adenosylcobalamin that are the naturally active forms and need no conversion since it seems my body does not want to convert it the others

Ive been reading about how methylcobalamin can make any elemental mercury in your body into the more toxic methyl mercury. Do you have any mercury amalgam fillings? Good luck.

Closed Thread