It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

Ice and Anemia

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-26-2006, 12:05 AM   #1
coralkisses
(female)

coralkisses HB User
Ice and Anemia

I have heard before that if a person eats a lot of ice that could be a sign on anemia. I have noticed that within the past few months that I have been eating a lot more ice than normal plus I'm always really tired in the mornings(I always use the excuse that I'm not a morning person) and throughout the day.
I have had anemia before. I think I was either in Jr. High or High School when I had it(I'm now 26) and I had to take iron medication.
I was just wondering if I could have anemia and if maybe I should take some iron suppliments. Also, could any of this affect anyone who is TTC?

Thanks!
Coral

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2006, 03:42 AM   #2
emmy108
(female)

emmy108 HB User
Re: Ice and Anemia

Hey Coral,

I think maybe this is a sign that you need to get some bloodwork done. The ice thing I have and had for 2 years.. I had never this before and just thought I was addicted to ice crunching.. I wish I had known..anyway I would see the Doc..so you know..and see what they say...I wouldn't wait..until your iron gets too low ..like mine..check it out.

Good Luck!

Old 09-26-2006, 06:10 AM   #3
mbbasketball
(female)

mbbasketball HB User

Hi, I use to have a cup of ice all the time. The only time I stopped chewing ice was a few weeks afer getting the IV iron. My hubby just thought I was nuts. My dentist just said that it would do damage to the teeth. I had been chewing ice for almost two years. I told my family doctor about it, but did not seemed concerned. It was not until I finally had to go to a hematologist that I found out that ice chewing called pica is very common with people with anemia. I can almost tell when my ferritin is low and heading to the point of anemia, I start empyting out the ice machine.

You should get your ferritin checked. Just getting your Hgb level is not enough. Ferritin levels will indicate if you are depleting our iron store which untreat could lead to anemia. Good luck

Old 09-27-2006, 07:02 PM   #4
dh2
(female)

dh2 HB User

I was amazed when I started reading about people with anemia eating ice. I have been eating crushed ice for about a year. I would sit with my grandson and we would polish off a cup or two of ice in the afternoon. I just thought I was addicted to it. I would be in the kitchen several times a day crushing ice. I just recently found out that I have iron deficiency anemia. Now I know why I love ice so much! Weird though!

Coral, it would be a good idea to have your iron levels checked before taking iron supplements. Too much iron is not good either and your body doesn't have a way of getting rid of the excess. Hope all turns out well and that you just like to eat ice!!

Old 10-06-2006, 11:50 PM   #5
Shamrock
(female)

Shamrock HB User

Coral,definitely call your doctor and asked to have a CBC checked to see if you're anemic. This is important if you're TTC. If you were to become pregnant it's really important that you don't become anemic for not only your sake but for the baby's sake as well. You need twice the iron that you normally do when you're pregnant and that is why Obstetricians prescribe prenatal vitamins for pregnant women...As far as the ice goes,yes you can crave it. I was eating crushed ice and craving popsicles for months before my anemia was diagnosed. I am currently seeing a hematologist and getting IV iron treatments every week. Since I've had about 4 IV's of the iron the craving for the ice and popsicles is much less. best of luck!

Closed Thread