It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• pernicious anemia sufferers, HELP!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-11-2006, 03:08 PM   #1
    olderlady2
    (female)

olderlady2 HB User
    pernicious anemia sufferers, HELP!

I have had pernicious anemia for eleven years and have now developed what my doctor calls a typical pernicious anemia stomach. I have GERD, hiatial hernia, severe gastritis, and barretts( fortunately biopsied negative). I am taking Protonics which does help,but does not eliminate my stomach problems. What I need help with is to know if anyone else has the same problems I do. Sometimes I feel pretty good and other times I just feel tired and just yucky all over, and I feel a lot of anxiety. What anxiety has to do with stomach problems I can't imagine, but I am taking Klonopin for it. I just so want to know if anyone out there feels at all the same . It would help to know that I'm not alone. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2006, 07:15 PM   #2
    gingertea
    Veteran
    (female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User
    Re: pernicious anemia sufferers, HELP!

Olderlady2,

You and I seem to have many of the same problems, the timing is just reversed.....I have more posts on this board asking some of your same questions. I have chronic anemia (not diagnosed as pernicious though).
    Almost 2 years ago I had an endoscopy because of stomach problems, acid reflux, etc. and a biopsy discovered I was infected with h. pylori. I started the therapy for that -- it included Protonix. At the same time I started having heart palps and extreme anxiety and it has continued to this day. It is so annoying! My stomach is acting up again, but I'm holding off seeing the gastroenterologist because I have a recall appointment for another endoscopy
    in December to check the Barretts. I've been checked for heart problems, pancreas, thryoid, etc. and yesterday my DR suggested I start having B-12 injections to see if they would help. (My B-12 is low normal, 200's) I am hoping B-12 is the miracle cure........

Old 10-18-2006, 07:59 AM   #3
    olderlady2
    (female)

olderlady2 HB User

gingertea
    Sorry I took so long getting back to you . My b12 level was 211 and to say that I felt awful is a vast understatement. I was also told that mine was low normal and that it wasn't even the cause of my many problems. I was so far gone in addition to my many physical problems I was confused, full of anxiety, and at least my family told me my personality was changing. The b12 shots began to help slowly and as time went on I became my normal self. Doctors stubbornly stick to the so- called facts in their medical books and pretty much ignore what patients are saying.

Old 10-21-2006, 06:17 AM   #4
    suevit
    (female)

suevit HB User

Just got a chance to visit the site and would like to let you know that before the neurologist figured out I had pernious anemia my count was also low normal 190. When he say that he knew right away! My hemotologist started me on b12 shots every two weeks for about 6 months than down to once a month. Depending on stress levels I usually feel the need for more around 3 weeks.
    It took 2 years for me to honestly say the symptoms were under control but one of the nurses at the hospital AMC has it and let me know it would get better.
    Don't let the Doctors put you off get the test for the intrensic (spelling?) factor in your stomach. Then you'll know for sure. They are very busy and sometimes don't think how sick we really feel! After all you're 'just tired'!!!

SueVit

Old 10-21-2006, 06:17 AM   #5
    suevit
    (female)

suevit HB User

Just got a chance to visit the site and would like to let you know that before the neurologist figured out I had pernious anemia my count was also low normal 190. When he saw that he knew right away! My hemotologist started me on b12 shots every two weeks for about 6 months than down to once a month. Depending on stress levels I usually feel the need for more around 3 weeks.
    It took 2 years for me to honestly say the symptoms were under control but one of the nurses at the hospital AMC has it and let me know it would get better.
    Don't let the Doctors put you off get the test for the intrensic (spelling?) factor in your stomach. Then you'll know for sure. They are very busy and sometimes don't think how sick we really feel! After all you're 'just tired'!!!

SueVit

Last edited by suevit; 10-21-2006 at 06:19 AM. Reason: wrong word

Old 10-21-2006, 07:38 PM   #6
    gingertea
    Veteran
    (female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

My doctor agreed to give me B-12 shots.....once a week for a month and then once a month for 6 months. I just had injection #2. How long until you start feeling a bit more normal? I am so looking forward to that day! The heart palps and anxiety are getting to me.

Old 11-10-2006, 07:26 PM   #7
    missy919
    (female)

missy919 HB User

are you anemic?

Closed Thread