It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• High reticycle count

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-21-2006, 06:26 PM   #1
    outlaw79

outlaw79 HB User
    High reticycle count

I got anemia out of no where on a blood test that was being checked for liver function,my hemoglobin was 9.1,than a week later I got another Cbc along with iron,reticycle count,ferritin etc...On this test it came back with low WBC,because of leukopenia..Hemoglobin 9.5,and rdw was again up..i also had a high reticyle count which I hear can be good and bad??

Than on the 4th I had another cbc,and 20 other tests for autoimmune ana you name it all negative..Hemoglobin 10.5..WBC still low at 2.8

So what I dont get is why my reticycle count is up,I do have ersosive bleeding gastritis,which could have caused the anemia..What does a high reticycle count mean..Also with leukopenia,im worred about cancer etc..

I took Medrol 6 weeks prior,and was on a steroid cream for over a month also,but I quit taking those around 3 weeks ago??

Anybody have any ideas??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2007, 02:55 PM   #2
    Maryilee
    (female)

Maryilee HB User
    Re: High reticycle count

Quote:
    Originally Posted by outlaw79 View Post
    I got anemia out of no where on a blood test that was being checked for liver function,my hemoglobin was 9.1,than a week later I got another Cbc along with iron,reticycle count,ferritin etc...On this test it came back with low WBC,because of leukopenia..Hemoglobin 9.5,and rdw was again up..i also had a high reticyle count which I hear can be good and bad??

Than on the 4th I had another cbc,and 20 other tests for autoimmune ana you name it all negative..Hemoglobin 10.5..WBC still low at 2.8

So what I dont get is why my reticycle count is up,I do have ersosive bleeding gastritis,which could have caused the anemia..What does a high reticycle count mean..Also with leukopenia,im worred about cancer etc..

I took Medrol 6 weeks prior,and was on a steroid cream for over a month also,but I quit taking those around 3 weeks ago??

Anybody have any ideas??
    A high reticulocyte count means that your body is simply creating lots of red blood cells to replace the ones you are losing. It is a way to compensate.

Closed Thread