It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• First Iron Infusion today

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-29-2007, 11:45 AM   #1
    KatiesMomma
    (female)

KatiesMomma HB User
    First Iron Infusion today

Hi, I just joined today. I am having my first iron infusion today and I am worried. I wasn't until I read through some posts here.

Two weeks ago I went in complaining of numbness, dizziness, blackspots, migranes. They did a run up of tests. They came back and I had a repeat 4 days later. First time my hemogloben was 7.7 and by Friday it was 7.1. My doc said not to worry. I was fine and he gave me two weeks off work and a referral to a hematologist. I called the HEM with my blood results and they told me to get to the ER. I called my friend who was a doc and she too said to go to ER. I got there and they did tons more blood work and admitted me. I had two blood transfusions and an iron something or other. They didn't use a term. I was released the next day. I got an 8 inch blood clot in the spot they did the transfusions and iron shot. I went into the hospital again last wednesday to get my arm checked out because it had gotten to the point I couldn't move it and it was turning red and hot. Like I said, it was a blood clot. I had to give myself Lovenox shots until tomorrow.

I go in, in about an hour, to get my first iron infusion. From what I am reading, it can hurt? I am wondering if this is rare? I have to have one infusion a week for the next 9 weeks. Anyways, just nervous now. I guess I will let you know how it goes tomorrow. They said it would take 2 hours for the first one. The "shot" I had when I was in the hospital only took 10 minutes to give. It felt a little odd, but it went by so quickly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
    Shamrock
    (female)

Shamrock HB User
    Re: First Iron Infusion today

I get IV iron every week and have been since September. My Hemoglobin was down to 7.0. I have never had any problems with the IV iron. it depends on which one they give you. My hematologist gives me Venofer because he says the incidence of side effects are ALOT less. It also only takes about a half hour to infuse which is nice too. Ask your doctor about this one. Best of luck!

Old 02-17-2007, 08:43 AM   #3
    papagigo
    (male)

papagigo HB User
    Re: First Iron Infusion today

I have had numerous iron infusions over the past 6 months due to a bleed they can't seem to locate. I even had a "capsule endoscopy" (you swallow a small camera and it takes 55,000 pictures as it goes through), but they still can't find it.
    Anyway, the only thing I experienced after the infusion was flu like symptoms and tiredness for a day or two. Mine took about 90 minutes and I didn't have the tylenol added. Don't expect to feel better right away because it kicks in as new red blood cells are made, this could take 4 to 5 weeks..
    How did you make out with yours?

Closed Thread