It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Low Ferritin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-01-2007, 08:11 AM   #16
    jandk7195
    (female)

jandk7195 HB User
    Re: Low Ferritin

My ferritin was at 1.2. I had become extremely tired. I began having a hard time driving to work. I also started losing my hair. I finally saw a hematologist and started on weekly iron infusions and taking B12. I will have to contiue this therapy for the rest of my life as they have discovered I am unable to absorb enough iron orally. I know go for IV iron every 2 months. I feel superb now. My ferritin is at 93 and my other levels are in the normal range. My hair is no longer falling out other than what would be considered normal.
    Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2007, 01:07 AM   #17
    momtoaaj
    (female)

momtoaaj HB User

My last ferritin was a 6 and my dr recommended that I take an iron supplement. I have never been able to tolerate an iron supplement except for Repliva which is not covered by Kaiser. My dr hadn't even heard of it. Has anyone had success with a good iron supplement? My TIBC was high, but I'd have to look up the number. My Hgb was 11.5. I go in tomorrow for my extreme fatigue and I hope that he'll run this test again. The last one was October. What I don't understand is that he also ran a bunch of calcium, sodium, glucose, TSH, T4 lab tests and none of them were for anemia? So, I guess I'll learn more tomorrow about what he thinks? Just bouncing off some thoughts. This is the first time that I've looked up low ferritin on the web and didn't realize that quite a few people deal with it. It was a few years ago that my ferritin was 7 and my dr didn't even care. It just proved to him why I was craving dirt!

Old 03-16-2007, 07:04 PM   #18
    steph4477
    (female)

steph4477 HB User

My level is 2 and I work 11 hours a day. I am extremely productive during the day but at night and on weekends I am pooped!

Old 03-17-2007, 06:16 AM   #19
    elphers
    (female)

elphers HB User

I'm just curious-- why didn't my gastro Dr. order a ferritin blood test when he tested me for anemia? Am I missing it on my lab sheet? What should I be looking for?

Old 03-17-2007, 08:58 AM   #20
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elphers View Post
    I'm just curious-- why didn't my gastro Dr. order a ferritin blood test when he tested me for anemia? Am I missing it on my lab sheet? What should I be looking for?
    It will just say "Ferritin" and then there will be a value.

It is a separate test to order. Many doctors, when checking anemia, will just order the CBC (complete blood count). Iron tests are separate.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:35 PM   #21
    jules01
    (female)

jules01 HB User

I've had a low ferritin level for 3 years and it has gone from 6 to 9 and back to 8. The iron tablets make me feel absolutely terrible and I was wondering about asking for an iron infusion. Has anyone had one? How long does it take to raise the level and are there any side effects?

Old 03-17-2007, 09:10 PM   #22
    mbbasketball
    (female)

mbbasketball HB User

With level that low, you need to have iv iron. It may take several before your level goes up. I have had about 5 or 6 in the past two years. There really is no side effects. I did have spine and knee joint pain the day after. If your level have not gone up, first you should find out why, and also get the infusion.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:54 PM   #23
    Pika
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pika HB User

I think all chemicals came into our body will have side effect. Either is weak or strong. I just have one on Friday and it was the first one. I think it'll be my last one too. My Ferritin was 5 since 1999. All doctors reakoned and let me live with it.

I'm still having many acky here and there. The headache is lasting longest in my life! Apart from nausea, headache, stomach ache, SOB and dizziness (side effect), I'm still like living in the space ship!

Take care

Old 03-18-2007, 06:15 AM   #24
    AmieSue
    (female)

AmieSue HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by momtoaaj View Post
    What I don't understand is that he also ran a bunch of calcium, sodium, glucose, TSH, T4 lab tests and none of them were for anemia?
    Just as a note - they are testing TSH and T4 to check your thyroid as it can also cause many of the same symtpoms (extreme fatigue, feeling cold, loss of hair, extremely heavy / long periods, etc which can actually contribute to or be the root cause of anemia, as it is in my case), calcium is likely for parathyroid verification and glucose to check in on other endocrine functions (look for diabetes). It is worth it to double check those results as well because many of the reference ranges by the labs are still a bit high and you can be very symptomatic before getting out of the normal range. These may not be a factor, but it is a positive that the doctor is looking for other root causes, IMO - I really had to move doctors a lot until they started looking for the root cause after the most common causes weren't apparent.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:23 AM   #25
    AmieSue
    (female)

AmieSue HB User

I got my latest labs back and was hoping some of you could explain some of the items to me, as the only things I was really looking at in the past were the Iron and the HGB, and I am a bit confused by a few that are high / normal.

WBC - 9.3 (4.0 - 10.0)
    RBC - 4.44 (4.0 - 5.2)
    HGB - 8.6 (12 - 16)
    HCT - 30.8 (37-45%)
    MCV - 69.3 (79-99)
    MCH - 22.3 (27-33)
    MCHC - 32.1 (32-36)
    RDW - 15.9 (11.5-14.5%)
    PLT - 441 (140-400)
    Transferrin Saturation - 4.9 (15-50%)
    Ferritin 4 (10-154)

I am feeling absolutely horrid - and I know it is also that I am hypothyroid, and have just started meds for that but I still can't stomach the oral iron (even the repliva) and they are starting me on IV Iron next week.

My question is what do the RDW / PLT readings mean and why are they high when everything else is low?

Thanks much for your input!

Old 03-18-2007, 05:41 PM   #26
    mbbasketball
    (female)

mbbasketball HB User

AmieSue,
    Your levels indicate that you are anemic. Your labs could be a mirrow image of mine two years ago. I felt horrible too. No energy, brain fog and dizzy all the time. Do a ****** search for low ferritin, low hgb, low, mcv,mch and high platlets, and high rdw and it will come up with anemia.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:02 PM   #27
    Tony1960
    (male)

Tony1960 HB User
    Cool Re: Low Ferritin

I am a male , and the doctors checked my ferritin and found it was 4 . they did not even phone me , then when I asked my GP said you should eat more meat its nothing . Well it took approx 1year and after many test one of them being a blood test called ttg they found that I have celiac and found out now that this is very common. I am doing fine now . check out the web. site [url]www.celiac.ca[/url] my 75 yr old father also has it now (they checked his blood) I just wish some one had told me. take care tony

Old 03-19-2007, 06:04 AM   #28
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

Tony,

That was good of your doctor to check for celiac. For a man to a have a low ferritin is VERY unusual so something would definitely be going on.

My doctor also did a celiac test for me but it was negative. I had almost *wished* that I had it as it would have explained a lot of things.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:18 AM   #29
    AmieSue
    (female)

AmieSue HB User

Christine - I can completely sympathize with that! I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease (causing hypothyroid) and it is almost certainly also the root cause of my chronic iron deficient anemia - and as odd as it sounds to most people I was happy to hear this because it was an answer and at least gave me hope that treating the root cause might help some of the other issues as well.

At my next bloodwork though, I will ask for this screening as well, doesn't hurt to just rule it out - thanks much to you both for the input!

Old 03-19-2007, 03:43 PM   #30
    danagrace
    (female)

danagrace HB User

Thanks Tony. Like your doc, my doc does not think low iron is a big deal. Now after taking over the counter iron for two years the iron levels have gone down from 21 to 14. I checked out the celiac website, and that could be the cause of the low iron, infertility, foggy head, and fatigue. I eat lots of red meat, green leafy veggies, and I am taking iron supplements, so something is not right. I wish I knew for sure what is wrong.

Last edited by danagrace; 03-19-2007 at 03:44 PM.

Closed Thread