It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Low Ferritin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-19-2007, 05:25 PM   #31
    AmieSue
    (female)

AmieSue HB User
    Re: Low Ferritin

Danagrace - it seems there are so many potentials out there. I know from just my own experience that Hashimoto's Disease has impacted my thyroid and that has been isolated as the cause of my anemia which has been ongoing and mostly not aided by iron supplements (when I could even stomach them). This is due to inadequate stimulation of red blood cell development in the bone marrow according to the literature they gave me. If they haven't tested your thyroid, they should just to rule it out. For me they just kept pushing iron supplements that didn't help and just made me sick to my stomach until I switched doctors and got a fresh set of eyes on the situation. Now with the thyroid meds I will then start IV Iron to push my iron stores back up and am hopeful it will be the final answer.

As mentioned above, Celiac is a potential cause, and there does still seem to be some debate about PPI drugs (Nexium, Protonix, etc) and the absorption of iron (I personally think there is a connection there but only time will tell I guess). Finding a good doc who will work with you to really look for the root cause and not just give up after the basics are eliminated is the very best hope though...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2007, 05:44 PM   #32
    Tony1960
    (male)

Tony1960 HB User

If if you have Celiac it prevents the absorption of essential nutrients. So it would not matter what good food you eat it will not matter. that is why my iron level was so low. the blood test is called (ttg)

Old 03-19-2007, 08:59 PM   #33
    kathyam5
    (female)

kathyam5 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by steph4477 View Post
    My level is 2 and I work 11 hours a day. I am extremely productive during the day but at night and on weekends I am pooped!
    My ferritin level was 3. My doctor began me on Venofer once a week for 8 weeks. If it doesn't improve by then, I'm scheduled for a bone marrow. I'm already scheduled for a gastric scope and colonoscopy to check for hidden bleeding. I do fine all day, however when I get home I sit and sit until bedtime. My get up and go has got up and gone by 5 pm.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:18 PM   #34
    steph4477
    (female)

steph4477 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kathyam5 View Post
    My ferritin level was 3. My doctor began me on Venofer once a week for 8 weeks. If it doesn't improve by then, I'm scheduled for a bone marrow. I'm already scheduled for a gastric scope and colonoscopy to check for hidden bleeding. I do fine all day, however when I get home I sit and sit until bedtime. My get up and go has got up and gone by 5 pm.
    Kathy5am, Hope that the bone marrow test goes well. Why didn't your doctor do a iron dextran infusion? Have you ever done that? Did it not work? I just had my first one last week and just now have started to feel OK. It really knocks you for a loop! Do you have heavy cycles? How did your levels get so low. Stephanie

Old 03-24-2007, 08:15 AM   #35
    Jess03
    (female)

Jess03 HB User

Wow,

It's awesome to hear that I am not alone. I just got my blood results back and have a ferritin level of 3. I have been trying to lose weight...since at least last January, but have been unsuccessful. Low energy...I blamed it on my job...or being unfit...I just found it agonizing to try and get a workout in after work. And felt so guilty for not going. The mental anguish has been tough. I thought I was just depressed.

I'm not sure where this could have come from...My periods are light. Maybe some of you could share your insight on possible causes. Other than this I am healthy. I think...

Old 03-27-2007, 07:30 PM   #36
    kathyam5
    (female)

kathyam5 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by steph4477 View Post
    Kathy5am, Hope that the bone marrow test goes well. Why didn't your doctor do a iron dextran infusion? Have you ever done that? Did it not work? I just had my first one last week and just now have started to feel OK. It really knocks you for a loop! Do you have heavy cycles? How did your levels get so low. Stephanie

I was having heavy cycles. They thought that might be the problem. I had a pelvic ultrasound which showed endometrial problems and fibroids so I had a hysterectomy. That was three months ago. My level has dropped even more and I'm not have periods anymore. What is the iron dextran infusion. The venofer was given by IV. The doctor's are looking for hidden bleeding now. Colonoscopy Thursday.

Last edited by kathyam5; 03-27-2007 at 07:32 PM.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:57 PM   #37
    momtoaaj
    (female)

momtoaaj HB User

So, my doctor put me on an antidepressant for my fatigue LOL, I'm so not depressed. I got diagnosed with ADHD this past week and started Strattera. It's okay. The side effects suck a little bit for now. I stopped the Wellbutrin, all it offered was anxiety, insomnia and it didn't improve anything. The psych MD said I'm not depressed, big surprise. He also said that the ADHD was NOT responsible for my severe fatigue. I brought up my low ferritin and he looked it up, it was a 6. He typed ferritin into a MD database and it came up with an article re: ADHD and low ferritin in children.

WOW, could low ferritin be responsible for ALL that I feel is wrong with me? If that is the answer, hallelujah!

I went online and ordered Ferritin (bioavailable iron). Go to a search engine and search: "ferritin (bioavailable iron) the way up" It's a start! I just want to feel better. It has a list of what ferritin deficiency can cause. I can almost wipe out the list.

So, I also emailed my MD and had him order a standing order for iron and ferritin levels and told him that I'd be starting this supplement. Check it out! I will try to remember to keep you posted if it works at all!!

I wish you all success in this journey to health!

Last edited by momtoaaj; 04-27-2007 at 04:36 PM.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:04 AM   #38
    ChainedAngel
    (female)

ChainedAngel HB User

I've had low ferritin (2-4) for about 4 years now. Tried everything I (and my doctor) could think of.

Often feel tired and stressed and have heard from my doctor for years he doesn't know how I function on a day to day basis, nevermind work 2 full time jobs, be a mom and have 2 active dogs. However, I push through it and sleep when I can.

Strength of mind will help recover strength of body. Best wishes for all those having issues with this.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:51 AM   #39
    momtoaaj
    (female)

momtoaaj HB User

I wish that just having a great attitude would increase my energy level, but it just isn't the case. It does get frustrating when I try to play soccer or basketball with my ADHD kids who have SO much energy and I can only give them about 5-10 minutes before I have to sit down. I'll be 33 this week. I'm not old, I have nothing majorly wrong with me. I'm just tired and hurt all over.

I saw the MD for my cholesterol today. Oops. I knew it was high, but my MD said that it's gone too far for dietary control. She said it's familial, so she's going to start me on Vytorin today. My TC=327, HDL=40, TRG=405 and my LDL which I guess comes from a formula wasn't measureable. She said that isn't good.

I also had Hgb=11.3 and my Ferritin=7 (yaay, up 1 point!) My TIBC=403 (Good, it was over 500 in August).

Thanks for letting me vent.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:51 AM   #40
    kfont
    (female)

kfont HB User

I think it is interesting how low ferritin and anemia effect people in such different ways. In the fall of 2005 I had a transfusion of 4 units of blood because my hemoglobin was 4.3 (12-16), hematocrit 14.7 (37-47) and my ferretin was 4. At that time I was dragging through life but was still working. I had a some tests to see if I had a bleed but they couldn't find anything. My menstrual cycle has never been heavy so I doubted it was from that. I then started taking iron pills but felt better so gradually took fewer and fewer of them. In the fall of 2006 my hemoglobin was 13.1 and my ferritin was 12 (11-307). In the beginning of April 2007 my hmgl was 10.7, hematocrit 30.7 and my ferritin was at 3. I went back on my iron again and within a few wks my hmgl is 11.7, hema. 34.1. I will get my ferritin checked again in a couple of weeks. Anyways, I really don't feel bad like some with low ferritin seem to be feeling. I am working at a busy,stressful job. I am very active and can play basketball, ride bikes, hike etc. the only thing that is not back to normal is that I can't run like I used to. Once my ferritin rises I think that I will be able
    to run again. I have found that I can hike up the local "ski hill" and have a nice run down that-down hill not requiring so much energy.
    Hope everyone else is feeling better.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:02 PM   #41
    momtoaaj
    (female)

momtoaaj HB User

Well, I'm going in to have my Kaiser MD review everything and check all kinds of things to rule out.

I just wanted to mention a high number of Vitamin D deficient patients that have come through our clinic recently! I will have this checked. I guess that some people are mistakenly diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and the symptoms get better with Vit D therapy. So... I'll be back when I know more, but do search the web for more info on Vitamin D deficiency.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:36 AM   #42
    dhh
    (female)

dhh HB User

This message board is interesting to find. About 6 months ago some lab tests came back with me at a 4.8 ferretin level and normal mcv, and rbc. So I started taking iron supplements, drinking a little apple cider vinegar before eating (to help the stomach acid levels in order to break down the iron) and soaking all my grains and beans before cooking them (helps nutritionally and with the breakdown). My new lab results have come back with my ferritin level down to a .86. No noticable abnormal bleeding. I've been fatigued for as long as I can remember. Out of breath alot now. Anyhow, I'm obviously now on a quest to solve this mystery.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:12 AM   #43
    momtoaaj
    (female)

momtoaaj HB User

So, I have Vitamin D deficiency too. No surprise. But it surprised my MD. So, I'm supposed to start taking 800mg of Vit D a day.

dhh,
    I went online and found a ferritin supplement that hasn't been upsetting my stomach. It did when I took three at a time during the first 2 days on it, but since then, I've been taking up to 2 - 3 times a day and I feel okay, GI wise. I haven't had my level rechecked yet, but I'm excited to see what they could change to. I searched "ferritin, the way up" on a web browser, and it took me to a brand called cardiovascular research with a lot of info of what a ferritin iron deficiency could cause symptom wise. Check it out, it's at the very least, very interesting. Good luck!!

Last edited by momtoaaj; 05-29-2007 at 11:13 AM.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:15 PM   #44
    tracey spencer
    (female)

tracey spencer HB User
    Smile Re: Low Ferritin

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pika View Post
    I think all chemicals came into our body will have side effect. Either is weak or strong. I just have one on Friday and it was the first one. I think it'll be my last one too. My Ferritin was 5 since 1999. All doctors reakoned and let me live with it.

I'm still having many acky here and there. The headache is lasting longest in my life! Apart from nausea, headache, stomach ache, SOB and dizziness (side effect), I'm still like living in the space ship!

Take care
    i have low ferritin levels mine is 2 and my iron and vitamin b12 and calcuim are low aswell i have been like this for couple of years now ...

Last edited by tracey spencer; 11-15-2007 at 02:16 PM.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:42 AM   #45
    Pika
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pika HB User

Finally, my GP found a very compassion GI dr. She gave me a big bag of iron infusion (March 2007). Everythings raised up nicely. Now it fall to 13.........
    I used it so quick?

Closed Thread