It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Low Ferritin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-19-2007, 04:09 PM   #46
    vegemite
    (female)

vegemite HB User
    Re: Low Ferritin

Low ferritin has a lot to answer for.

I had my 3rd baby 6 months ago. When he was 3 months old I started to "not feel myself" ... I was tired, emotional, fatigued, weepy and overwhelmed by life in general.

GP diagnosed Post Partum Depression and prescribed antidepressants (surprise surprise !!). I was EXTREMLY hesitant but I felt so bad I wanted anything to work.

Took them for 8 weeks. No improvement so went back to my doctor and asked for blood test to check hormone levels & thyroid. He 'happened' to request iron works as well.

Ferritin 7.

One month of iron supplements and I started to feel a spark back. 6 weeks later (and switching from tablets to Spatone) and I'M A NEW WOMAN.

My ferritin increased from 7 to 27 in 4 weeks and it's continuing to rise. And I've been off the AD's for a month now and there's no looking back.

I don't know what it's like in the States, but over here they hand out bloody antidepressants like lollies .... such a 'quick fix' society today.

I obviously have no iron absorption problems, mine was purely depeleted from pregnancy/childbirth ... I'm to stay on the supplements for another 2 months, he wants my ferritin to rise up into the 90's .... and I think I'm close because the noticable improvement is diminishing each day ... I just feel "normal" again.

Good luck everyone!

Last edited by vegemite; 11-19-2007 at 04:10 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2007, 02:07 PM   #47
    Pika
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pika HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vegemite View Post

I don't know what it's like in the States, but over here they hand out bloody antidepressants like lollies .... such a 'quick fix' society today.
    I agreed with you. They send me to the Psychiatrist! Sound like Aussie has more problems with the head than the body! But .... I tell you, mine definately is something wrong in my body and not in the head! Take care.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:23 PM   #48
    gracieguru16
    (female)

gracieguru16 HB User

I'm 16 and i recently went to give blood. They said i couldn't because my heamaglobin was too low and because of how low it was they sent away for a ferritin test and it came back as 1.9.. I have to go to the doctor today but I don't get sick, i just feel tired pretty much all the time.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:17 PM   #49
    TiredOTired
    (female)

TiredOTired HB User

I am in the process now of finding out what is wrong with me. I have been in my opinion misdiagnosed with depression for years, when in fact, I have been anemic and low in ferritin. (Amongst other things.)

I felt a kinship with one of the other posters who has a kid or kids with ADHD that have nonstop energy while you feel half dead. I am the same.

My son also makes nonstop messes while I have attempted to follow him around cleaning up after him. He breaks everything-furniture included! I am now so low on ferritin, and have been for years, not to mention anemic, that I just can't keep up.

I work full time thanks to being a single parent, sans child support. Had to quit my career's work and start over due to not having the physical strength to do anything but sit at a desk and answer a phone.

I just had 2 minor surgeries as well, and am just drained. I didn't get to take more than a day off and have no one to help me. Give me strength!!!!

Old 08-29-2008, 05:14 AM   #50
    MissAnemia
    (female)

MissAnemia HB User
    Wink Re: Low Ferritin

This might be of interest to some of you-- here's my own odd case of low ferritin not always resulting in low energy or fatigue:

My ferritin level was <1 a year ago, and my doctor was surprised because I didn't notice any problems in my energy level at all (my anemia was found by accident). I got it up to 30 in about 4 months, and pretty much felt the same as when my ferritin was <1.

This week, I found out my ferritin was back down to 5 But it's interesting because the past few months, I have been keeping myself as active as ever. I have been exercising 3-4x/wk, including running a mile, swimming 30 laps, doing elliptical machine for 45 min to an hour at a time, and lifting weights-- all the while with no clue that my ferritin was low again!

Now... there are other things-- it could be that I tolerate a low ferritin better because I'm relatively young (in my early 30's). But I did notice that once I went hiking in Yosemite, and could not keep up with my friends. I was huffing and puffing, and had to stop. But that's the only time I noticed an exercise limitation.

I guess the other symptoms I have is that my hair falls out too much (I'm afraid I'll become bald), and I have REALLY bad pica-- eating ice all the time, whenever I can get my hands on it.

My doctor mentioned IV iron, but I'm kind of afraid to take it-- would rather try to use pills again to get the ferritin back up. Good luck to all of you-- I guess we're all in this together! I'll be thinking happy iron thoughts for all of you.

Closed Thread