It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• long time since last iron infusion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-03-2007, 05:34 AM   #1
    elphers
    (female)

elphers HB User
    long time since last iron infusion

In Dec. 2005 I was hospitalized for 3 days for high platelets. While in there I saw a hemotologist that recommended IV iron, which I had. I have not had an infusion since.
    I always have taken iron pills, because I have celiac disease and they think that causes me not to absorb iron.
    Since that IV infusion 15 months ago, I have not taken any iron pills and no one mentions another infusion. Can it last that long? My Hemo says that I don't need iron pills anymore.
    My Hemo recently dismissed me and my last blood test was Oct. I see his nurse in May and have lab work then.
    I am SO TIRED! It seems that they should be checking my bloodwork more often.
    Last week I had an appointment with my Gastro Dr. I am having the capsule endoscopy on March 15. Thank goodness he ordered blood tests when I mentioned my fatigue. I just went on Thursday, so I haven't heard any results yet.
    My Hemo has had me getting monthly B-12 injections, which I feel no better at all after getting my shot. I'm not scheduled to get one in April, which I have no clue why.
    For 15 years I have been anemic from my Celiac. Just wondering why I don't have to take iron pills anymore. Again, can this iron infusion from 15 months ago be that great? A girl I work with has to get the infusion every year.
    Thanks!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2007, 06:14 AM   #2
    PBREARD
    (female)

PBREARD HB User
    Re: long time since last iron infusion

I really do not know how long they last. I just started on a six week course and my hematologist told me that was like a years worth of pills. He checks my CBC weekly. I am also doing the capsule endoscopy on Wednesday as we are still trying to find a reason for the anemia. I am glad someone has run some bloodwork on you. Let us know how it comes out. Take care.

Phyllis

Old 03-05-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
    elphers
    (female)

elphers HB User
    Re: long time since last iron infusion

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBREARD View Post
    I really do not know how long they last. I just started on a six week course and my hematologist told me that was like a years worth of pills. He checks my CBC weekly. I am also doing the capsule endoscopy on Wednesday as we are still trying to find a reason for the anemia. I am glad someone has run some bloodwork on you. Let us know how it comes out. Take care.

Phyllis
    Phyllis,
    Thanks for the response. I will be anxious to hear about your capsule endoscopy. We sure don't get to eat much for 2 days! Good luck and keep me posted! I'll let you know when I get my bloodwork results.
    Mary

Closed Thread