HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Anemia (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/anemia/)
-   -   Chewing Gum Instead Of Ice (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/anemia/481265-chewing-gum-instead-ice.html)

PBREARD 03-16-2007 04:56 AM

Chewing Gum Instead Of Ice

I am just curious. I know chewing ice is a sign of anemia, but before when my hgb was 8, I was craving gum and chewing it constantly. If I ran out I would have to go to the store and buy more. I was buying 3 packs a week. I felt like a smoker. It just seems funny that now that my hgb is up to 10 I do have any urge to chew gum. I wonder if there was a connection to the anemia. Just a thought. Have a great weekend everyone.

Phyllis:jester:

alwayshotroddin 03-16-2007 10:20 AM

Re: Chewing Gum Instead Of Ice

Hi Phyllis,

I actually was diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia not too long ago, so our conditions are a little different, but I have the same problem with chewing gum! I've been the same way as you for several years now, and I know iron deficiency anemia can go undiagnosed for some time because some people have no symptoms, so it's probable with my gum chewing habits I could have been iron-deficient since I started this habit.

But at any rate, I still chew gum all the time. I go through probably 4-5 pieces per day. I have no idea if that means anything but it sure is interesting! I've been treated with iron supplements for 2 months now and still chew gum just as much though so maybe it's just an ugly habit we both have! Sure is something interesting to think about!!

Kecia

CoyoteBound 03-16-2007 08:00 PM

I was diagnosed with iron defeciency anemia and I had noticed way before I found out that I was anemic that all wanted to do was chew ice. It was like I couldn't get enough ice! I did read though that chewing ice is a sign, but maybe you two have something in common and you never know that someday it might just come out that chewing gum is a sign of anemia too. Hope you both get to feeling better soon. Since I have been on the B12 shots and started taking the Iron tablets, I do feel better than I did. It's a good thing something kicked in because I felt like I couldn't go much longer.

Jan:)

moommin 03-17-2007 10:02 AM

[QUOTE=PBREARD;2861742]I am just curious. I know chewing ice is a sign of anemia, but before when my hgb was 8, I was craving gum and chewing it constantly. If I ran out I would have to go to the store and buy more. I was buying 3 packs a week. I felt like a smoker. It just seems funny that now that my hgb is up to 10 I do have any urge to chew gum. I wonder if there was a connection to the anemia. Just a thought. Have a great weekend everyone.

Phyllis:jester:[/QUOTE]

moommin 03-17-2007 10:07 AM

hi,i was eating exyra strong mints all day couldnt get enough of them,this went on for a long time,my iron levels must be going up becouse i cant look at them now,strange

PBREARD 03-17-2007 03:03 PM

Thanks for your replies. It just a curious thought that the need to chew was the sign of anemia and not so much what you chewed. I don't know why ice, as there is no real nutritional value to it. It was just an interesting theory. Take care all.

Phyllis