It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• New here have questions about Iron Infusions.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-04-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
    gwilliams40
    (female)

gwilliams40 HB User
    New here have questions about Iron Infusions.

I had an iron infusion back in 2003. It took care of my low iron. Well, now I am back in the same spot. I have again low iron. My doctor has put me on 3 iron tablets a day ( Ferrous Gluconate), Folic Acid once a day and every month a b-12 shot. She also said that if this did not bring up my iron levels in 6 to 8 weeks she was going to recommend that I have another Iron Infusion. I heard you can only have so many Iron Infusions in your life. Is this possible? The first one I had I received 3 grams of Iron and felt like it took all day to get that. I was warned of the side effects with the aching back and joints. What I wasn't aware of was the taste in your mouth when you drink something. Can someone please advised me on the number of Iron Infusions you can receive?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2007, 06:45 AM   #2
    PBREARD
    (female)

PBREARD HB User
    Re: New here have questions about Iron Infusions.

Hi!

I don't know what kind of iron you had, but I finished 2 weeks ago a series of 5 IV Iron infusions callen Venofur (sp). Except for some tiredness and soreness for 2 days after, they were not bad. I just got my blood results back after that series and they were really good, almost too good. Anyway, I will see my hematologist on 4/13 see what we do from there. Do you know why you are anemic? I don't and even though my counts are good, I am concern it could happen again.

Take care.

Phyllis

Old 04-06-2007, 11:59 AM   #3
    gwilliams40
    (female)

gwilliams40 HB User

I have been anemic all my life. My mom seems to think it is due cause she was anemic the entire time she was pregnant with me. I would go to doctors when I was a child and my iron would be right at the normal area. A few years ago is when I found out that I was extremely anemic. When I had my first iron infusion, the dr. said he equipment didn't pick up any iron in my blood. That is when he ordered the iron infusion. Now about 4 years later it's basically the same thing. I think I would rather have the iron infusion now instead of taking the iron pills. I just heard that you can only have so many of the one that I got and I can't remember the name of it. I know it took a long time to get it in me.

Old 04-08-2007, 03:36 AM   #4
    fjones1
    (female)

fjones1 HB User

The iron infusion you got sounds like the one called Infed, I think. It takes longer to get than other types of iron. Did the infusion make you feel better for a while after you got it? The supplements take a long time to work, a lot longer than 6 to 8 weeks. I've found that my levels haven't gone up too much after about a year of iron supplements. And I feel about the same as when I started them.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:26 AM   #5
    Pika
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pika HB User

I got no period for 3 months before the iron infusion. After the infusion, now is 3 weeks and I got 2 periods????? Anyone like that? or is it normal?

I didn't have much dizziness or dizzy spell before the infusion. After the infusion, I've a lot of light headed, dizzyness, SOB and chest tightness. Would the body try to make use of or top up the iron level, those symptoms occured?

Old 04-09-2007, 12:10 PM   #6
    gwilliams40
    (female)

gwilliams40 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fjones1 View Post
    The iron infusion you got sounds like the one called Infed, I think. It takes longer to get than other types of iron. Did the infusion make you feel better for a while after you got it? The supplements take a long time to work, a lot longer than 6 to 8 weeks. I've found that my levels haven't gone up too much after about a year of iron supplements. And I feel about the same as when I started them.

I did feel better after I got the iron infusion. I have felt fine all the way up to about last December. Today however, I went to work and my co worker told me I was turning yellow. I called my dr and rushed to her office she said I wasn't jaundice. She ordered more blood work for my liver and she said if it comes back abnormal that I will be getting an emergency iron infusion. She is also checking my iron levels again to see how things have changed if at all after a week of the supplements. I also got a copy of my iron report that stated the supplements. My total iron is 18 L and my Ferritin is a 5 L. I don't know much about all the numbers really.

Closed Thread