It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Rising MCV and low ferritin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-15-2007, 12:28 PM   #1
    mbbasketball
    (female)

mbbasketball HB User
    Rising MCV and low ferritin

I have been under treatment for several years for IDA and now just iron deficiency, ferritin keeps dropping, last level 21 and month before was 72. My Hgb also continues to rise. How can my hgb levels rise and my ferritin drop? I did ask the nurse why the infusion when my hgb is on the rise, she said since I was very anemic, the doctor would like to keep my ferritin above 50 so I don't get anemic again.

I continue to get iron infusion whenever my ferritin goes below 50. My question is, can I also have Folate and Vitamin B12-Deficiency along with low ferritin. Thus contributing to me feeling still tired and legs muscles aching when I climb the stairs. With all the blood testing, no doctor even suggested me getting my folate or b-12 levels. Should I be asking for that to be done?

My last lab results shows continued rise in MCV levels, this month 104 and month before 100, and before that 89.

Or is my MCV levels high because of my low ferritin?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2007, 01:28 PM   #2
    catscandance
    (female)

catscandance HB User
    Re: Rising MCV and low ferritin

Mean corpuscular volume (MCV) is a measurement of the average size of your RBCs. The MCV is elevated when your RBCs are larger than normal (macrocytic), for example in anemia caused by vitamin B12 deficiency. When the MCV is decreased, your RBCs are smaller than normal (microcytic), such as is seen in iron deficiency anemia or thalassemias. The normal range for MCV is 80 to 100. You should get checked for both B12 deficiency and folate deficiency. IDA, B12 deficiency and folate deficiency can all co-exist. And it doesn't hurt to have your thyroid levels checked as well. Many people who have Pernicious Anaemia, a more progressive form of B12 deficiency, also have IDA and/or folate anaemia and thryoiditis.

Regards,
    Cats

Closed Thread