It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Just finished with iron infusions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-21-2007, 05:27 AM   #1
    alwayshotroddin
    (female)

alwayshotroddin HB User
    Just finished with iron infusions

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to let you all know that I just had 4 iron infusions completed over the last 2 weeks and everything went well. I'm going in this morning to check to see if my iron levels have risen (my ferritin was at 4). On a positive note, I didn't have any side effects really at all except I felt very bloated after each infusion. I'm not exactly sure why? I would eat lunch when I would get home and feel like I drank a gallon of milk or something and my stomach would stick out like I swallowed a bowling ball! But, other than that no side effects except maybe a little tired. Did any of you ever feel bloated?

For those of you wondering how it's completed, my experience consisted of lying down in a hospital bed within one of the rooms in the ER and they just hooked me up to an IV and I got to lay there and watch TV or read the whole time. I recieved 200 mg of Venofer with each dose, and each dose was infused over 90 minutes. It really wasn't bad at all. My veins are a bit bruised but nothing serious. I hope this helps all of you that are worried! My doctor also told me that Venofer is the best IV iron on the market with the least side effects. I don't know how much truth there is to that but that was what I was told. I'll keep you all updated and let you know if my ferritin and iron saturation levels have risen. So far I don't "feel" any different but my doctor told me it could take 2 weeks to start feeling a difference.

Hope this helps all of you that are worried about your infusions.

Kecia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2007, 10:54 AM   #2
    barbw
    (female)

barbw HB User
    Re: Just finished with iron infusions

Hi Kecia,
    I just had my first infusion yesterday, mine was a kind called Infed, I got 500ml and it took about 5 1/2 hours. I wish mine went as fast as yours, next time they said it would only take about 4 hours-haha. I didn't really have any side effects, except for a killer migraine by the time I left. I don't know if that was from the iron though, as I get migraines frequently. I hope I start to feel better with in 2 weeks! My ferritin was so low that it just came out as less than 1. Good luck to you, I wish you the best on your recovery!

Old 04-23-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
    MMR0719
    (female)

MMR0719 HB User
    Re: Just finished with iron infusions

Glad the infusions have gone well for you. I have 5 down and 3 to go (this week)... then I get my bloodwork redone.

Hopefully, my blood levels will be good enough for me to have surgery and remove this stupid mass! (Keep your fingers crossed!)

Have a good day ...

Closed Thread