It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• low iron and floradix

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-04-2007, 08:56 AM   #1
    Susanheb
    (female)

Susanheb HB User
    low iron and floradix

Hi everyone,
    I thought I would write in...
    I had my blood taken again (approx 1 month after last test) and it appears that my ferritin has lowered to a 9 (from 11) but my hemoglobin is up to a whopping 140. I am feeling an increase of certain 'symptoms', most notably is this strange feeling in my throat which I have experienced off and on for the past year or so. It's almost like a difficulty swallowing but not really...it feels better if I drink or eat something. (Makes trying to lose weight a little trying.:-) ) It also increases in intensity if I feel 'anxious' which seems to happen a lot lately too. <sigh>

My previous test had my serum iron and saturation at 47 (11-27) and 98%, so I stopped taking the iron tabs altogether as I was scared of hemochromatosis, and stuck with the floradix (10ml twice daily). Now with this new test, my ferritin has decreased AND my iron is very low at 8, with saturation at 15%. Once again, I need to look at cramming the iron but I took a look at the website of the company which makes the floradix and according to the website, I can take the floradix up to 4 times a day. Actually, it says, "5 to 10 minutes before each meal, and again at bedtime." So, to me, that means four times a day. That's 40mg of ferrous gluconate a day. I've only been doing it for the past two days and I definitely have a way to go but I almost feel like it works as soon as I ingest it with the OJ.

I wonder if it would be harmful to take more? Anybody know? Any thoughts. Do you think we could take the floradix 4 times a day PLUS the spatone?

Oh, I'm just musing but I wonder if the throat thing has anything to do with thyroid? Mine all came back as normal but still at the end of the scale. My TSH was 2.82 (.3-4.70) (new standard seems to be at 3); FT4 was 10.7 (9.1-23.8); FT3 was 4.4.

SusanH

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2007, 09:41 AM   #2
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
    Re: low iron and floradix

Susan,

I think you can take as much Spatone as you want--it is not a binding type of iron and won't cause overdose. Can't speak for the Floradix but it should hurt to add teh Spatone.

As for your throat sensations, that sounds a LOT more like reflux to me, specifically the type of reflux that they call "LPR" which irritates the throat. Or "globus sensation" which is a form of anxiety.

The thyroid issue would only cause pressure if your thyroid gland was inflammed and swollen or if you had a tumor that was pressing. The feeling would be constant, not intermittent, and would most likely progress. Eating/drinking would not clear it up as the pressure would be coming from outside the throat.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
    Susanheb
    (female)

Susanheb HB User

That sounds logical to me Christine. :-) I'll do some research on the LPR. I'm a little skeptical because I don't ever have a problem with eating certain foods and I never use those calcium tabs, tums etc. If there *was* some kind of GERD I would think the dr would have found it through gastroscopy (?). I remember reading something last year about 'pharyngeal' something or other and it fit all my symptoms but I can't find it now. I just really have a feeling that it will resolve (along with certain Reynauld's symptoms) once my ferritin is UP. :-)
    One sure thing about getting sick though...it sure drives us to *learn* doesn't it? You're your own best advocate.
    SusanH

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
    Susan,

As for your throat sensations, that sounds a LOT more like reflux to me, specifically the type of reflux that they call "LPR" which irritates the throat. Or "globus sensation" which is a form of anxiety.

The thyroid issue would only cause pressure if your thyroid gland was inflammed and swollen or if you had a tumor that was pressing. The feeling would be constant, not intermittent, and would most likely progress. Eating/drinking would not clear it up as the pressure would be coming from outside the throat.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
    sparkles916
    Veteran
    (female)

sparkles916 HB User

I was chuckling when I read ChristineVa's 'globus' comment. I felt I had a lump in my throat years ago, that "choking senation" and found the term "globus hystericus" during one of my frenzied medical internet searches. Well, now some ten yrs later after I have been diagnosed as hypothyroid, I see that I was not imagining it, and the sensation was anything but a quaint phrase.

I would seriously pursue the thyroid. I know you are under the magic 3.0 number but, I would have myself tested for the anti thyroid anti bodies, and often if you are diagnosed with autoimmune thyroiditis of Hashimotos disease, then a good dr may start treatment. I suggest you check out the thyroid board, and read a bit or even ask for advice. I am a relative newcomer, but there are some real pros there to help.

From what I know, the experts there say that optimal free T4 must be mid to upper range. You are close to the low end of the range. Also, you need to see the free T3, which I don't think was measured Thyroid problems can cause anxiety, I experienced it, as did many others on the board.

With regard to the hemachromatosis, there are two tests. 1) The serum ferritin must be significantly elevated at 200+ and be accompanied by a fasting transferrin saturation of 45-50%. The other values do not apply here.

When I started supplementing, I was a bit afraid too, 'cause all you ever hear is about hemachromatosis, not so much about anemia and deficiency. Your ferritin is way to low and you are by 99% of standards, iron deficient, presuming your hemoglobin is still above 12 and your MCV is 80+., otherwise you'd be anemic.

I felt weird when I took the floradix, I attributed it to the herbs. I would rather stick with just plain iron. I learned a bit about things from my fear of taking iron, esp that one must understand that the important figure to refer to when taking iron is the amount of elemental iron in the preparation. So, some tabs have 325 mg iron (ferrous sulphate), containing 65 mg elemental iron. I am taking a prep that has 44 mg elemental iron. These are standard daily ranges for deficiency supplemtation. I don't know how much people with iron deficiency anemia take, I am certain a bit more.

If you check your ferritin every now and then, I don't see a problem with supplementing. You really should be doing it under a drs supervision, ideally.

Incidentally, thyroid people can have related iron and b12 deficiencies and anemias.

I would definately pursue the thyroid.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:47 AM   #5
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sparkles916 View Post
    I

I felt weird when I took the floradix, I attributed it to the herbs. I would rather stick with just plain iron.

I, myself, have not purchased the Floradix yet for this very reason. I am fairly suspicious about herbal supplements and stuff like that as some of it is just plain "snake oil" to me. I really don't want the herbs. But I am in desparate need of something gentle on my stomach. Last weekend, I spent $10 for some Feosol tablets and, one week later, still don't have the nerve to take them. I just don't want my stomach to hurt for 3 days after taking one tablet.

Sparkles, I think you were the one that told me about the liquid iron?? Not sure. Anyway, I went to a few pharmacies and could not find anything, so I guess that is out.

I really want to find something I can tolerate. I was going to spend this whole month upping my iron intake (I've only been using Spatone). I have now wasted two weeks of the month and I should be going back to my GP in another 2 weeks to check ferritin. I'm thinking that if there is no improvement, he will send me off to a hematologist. I just don't feel like it, you know?

Old 05-05-2007, 05:21 AM   #6
    sparkles916
    Veteran
    (female)

sparkles916 HB User

Quote:
    Sparkles, I think you were the one that told me about the liquid iron?? Not sure. Anyway, I went to a few pharmacies and could not find anything, so I guess that is out.
    It is an over the counter preparation. You have to ask the pharmacy person if they have any liquid ferrous sulphate, or something similar. Guess they don't want the general public to accidentally take too much iron.

Quote:
    I'm thinking that if there is no improvement, he will send me off to a hematologist. I just don't feel like it, you know?
    The reason I did research was to satisfy myself that the hematologist I saw ( and paid out of pcoket for) said my ferritin was "fine". He never mentioned that it could be connected to the fatigue I described to him. Instead made me feel crazy and suggested I go see a chronic fatigue dr; also alluded to "depression". Same attitude of all drs regarding my thyroid symptoms. Guess what, drs, it was real after all.

The articles I posted in the other thread on ferrtin etc satisfied me. Esp the ones on fatigue in depleted/deficient persons without anemia. I know I only posted one there, but there are others out there...

Old 05-05-2007, 12:55 PM   #7
    lindsalou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lindsalou HB User

Hi all,

The liquid iron may be sodium feredetate oral solution, which is what i have been taking for the last 3 months, its the only form of oral iron i can tolerate. Its generally used as a paediatric (childrens) iron medicine, although its not a high dosage it can slowly help, i take 27.5mg/5ml 3 times daily.
    Hope this helps.
    Linds,

ps , quite a few 'experts' dismiss low ferritin, dont be detered, i was lucky enough that my gp and heamatologist took mine seriously, i dont think they would have put me on iron infusions if it wasnt a problem!

Last edited by lindsalou; 05-05-2007 at 12:58 PM. Reason: additional comment

Old 05-09-2007, 03:02 PM   #8
    ElleDi
    (female)

ElleDi HB User

I've been taking Floradix for only a week and felt better within 2 days. It's very popular in Europe and has been around for 60 years. I love it.
    Years ago I used to take liquid iron, which I remember being for children, but I haven't seen it around. Maybe it's behind the counter?

Old 05-09-2007, 07:48 PM   #9
    sparkles916
    Veteran
    (female)

sparkles916 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElleDi View Post
    Years ago I used to take liquid iron, which I remember being for children, but I haven't seen it around. Maybe it's behind the counter?
    Funnily enough, I went to visit my parents and did not feel like lugging my big bottle of iron. When I got there, I went to the pharmacy and asked for some liquid iron, but all they had was for children - Feo Gen Sol, Iron Supplement Drops for Children. I think each dropperful was equiv to 15mg elemental iron - I took three. yes, it is behind the counter.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:43 PM   #10
    Susanheb
    (female)

Susanheb HB User

My doctor has kicked me out of her practice so I can't get my blood checked anymore! Funnily enough though...she made me an appointment with a hematologist just before doing so and she forgot. I just found out that I will see the Hematologist in July. A silver lining...?
    Geesh....I'm starting to feel tired again lately...
    Been spending a little time over at that website where you get to rate your doctors (md's). I just had to rate mine after she sent me the kiss-off letter. Apparently, she's a *really* horrible doctor.
    sigh...

Closed Thread