It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• please help me!! anaemia is making me crazy!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-08-2007, 11:31 PM   #1
    *pig_tails*
    (female)

*pig_tails* HB User
    Question please help me!! anaemia is making me crazy!

Hi,

My info: 22yrs/ f/ 5"4/ 98lbs

In the past i've had severe mood swings and if i don't eat every 2 hours my body goes into shutdown mode & i become this nasty cow! My lack of concentration and attention deficit has made me see a psychiatrist every month. A year ago he diagnosed me with ADHD (i've been taking stimulants - dexedrine for over a year). But looking back to since i was young, i've always been low in iron..and the past few years its been getting worse and worse, making me feel really depressed. Also 2 years ago i had my period every two weeks, i used to always bleed alot!!..

My blood results came back and my ferritin is 5. & all other ones were low too...I always feel like crap, i'm a very active person by nature but this year if i do some sort of daily routine chore I feel like i'm going to faint. So in a sense i think dexedrine has masked my normal symptoms of should be feeling of anemia. But since its a stimulant i think i've confused my body... does that make any sense? So for the past year i've been working as a dental assistant like 50 hours a week, afterwards had house duties/ taking care of my mum..and sleeping only 4 hrs everyday for over a year. I have now cut down on work & rest alot more. But my body i feel is paying the price....

My moods are alwaysss swinging around from being so happy to being so nasty..depending on my energy level. So usually after food, i'm okay. I've become like highly sensitive to anything..which usually when i was healthier i was fine with. Its driving everyone around me crazy, my family, my boyfriend..so then i feel so guilty after and start getting depressed.

When can someone get an infusion/ intravenous iron from the hospital or whatever? I feel like i'm living on my pills to get me by, but my constant panic attacks/ heartbeats up to 145 when standing still..is driving me crazy!! I feel like i'm suffocating sometimes!! But the doctor made it sound so okayyy..to have extremly low iron. But its making me mentally and physically crazy!!

please help me!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2007, 05:04 AM   #2
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
    Re: please help me!! anaemia is making me crazy!

First of all, I will tell you that the meds you are taking for ADHD can give you ALL of the symptoms you are feeling. Especially the mood swings.

My son was on Adderall (which I think is the same, if not close to dexidrine) and his moods were horrible. We had to switch him to Ritalin (methlyphenidate) in order to get rid of the mood swings.

I think you need to talk to your psychiatrist about these mood swings and how you are feeling.

The low ferritin could certainly be causing the same symptoms but I'm not sure that they would cause them to be as severe as you are describing.

I think it might be wise to do a trial of cutting back your ADHD meds if you can to see if that makes a difference.

I'm sure that you could find someone to give you iron infusions. That doctor would most likely be a hematologist.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:07 AM   #3
    sparkles916
    Veteran
    (female)

sparkles916 HB User

Your ferritin is very low and shows a severe clinical depletion. Without our other labs, I cannot tell if you are anemic. Are your other blood values ok? You said " all other ones were low too" What about your hemoglobin? Are you saying you have been diagnosed with anemia just the low ferritin?

There is no way you stay with the dr. You need to follow the suggestions of ChristineVA and get the ferritin sorted out. It is serious!

I agree with ChristineVa, that all your problems may not be related to ferritin. You are right, I am sure the dexadrine has masked the symptoms you are experiencing from low ferritin.

Your mood swings and need to eat sound like they are connected to some other medical concern(s).

I suggest you look into your thyroid (heavy periods, lack of concentration) and adrenals (adrenal fatigue - blood sugar issues) and also get a general work up.

Could you post your other blood labs here, with ranges? I think people might be able to advise you in terms of your treatment - IV iron, etc. and comment on the severity of your depletion/anemia.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:15 AM   #4
    barbw
    (female)

barbw HB User

Hi,
    I don't mean to pry, but is there a reason that you only weigh 98 Lbs? I am
    5'4" too, and if I only weighed 98, my body would be shutting down too! I see that you say that you have to eat every 2 hours, so I am just wondering what other opinions you have received? Anemia has really drug me down as well, it really can do some damage to your lifestyle. My ferritin was measured to be less than 1, hemoglobin was at 7.6, b12 level was 226, I received the iron infusion, and am already feeling better. I also started b12 injections. Please have a complete blood workup done, along with a full thyroid panel. (If you haven't already!).
    I hope you get to feeling better soon!

Old 05-09-2007, 01:40 PM   #5
    lizzy76
    Veteran
    (female)

lizzy76 HB User

I have to agree with what everyone else has said. I don't know that just a low ferriten would be causing all of this. Everyone's body reacts differently to their lab numbers... for example, you aren't actually considered to be "anemic" unless your hemoglobin is low. And some people would say that you really shouldn't be feeling many symptoms with just a low ferriten as that does not quite qualify as anemia. But, like I said, everyone's body is different so who knows.

And you are very underweight. I am a recovering anorexic and when my weight was at where you're at I was under medical care to monitor things --- your WEIGHT is most likely the cause of your heart symptoms, NOT the low ferriten!!! Do you struggle with an eating disorder? I know you mentioned you eat every 2 hours, but are you eating calorie-dense foods or just some fruit and veggies? If I were you I'd see a doctor about your weight and that could very well solve a lot of your problems. Being that underweight can cause most, if not ALL, of the symptoms you are having, INCLUDING the mood swings.....

To me this sounds more like a weight problem than anything else...

Lizzy

Last edited by lizzy76; 05-09-2007 at 01:44 PM.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:19 PM   #6
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

Just a mention that ADHD meds will make you lose weight easily. Both of my kids use them during the school year and are monitored for weight gain. My son gained 10 lbs over the summer when he was off his meds and then lost them again by November.

If the original poster is small to begin with and then adds the ADHD meds, it could very well be the cause of this.

For what it's worth, when I was her age (22), I was 5'7" tall, ate like a horse, and didn't way more than 105 lbs. I was perfectly healthy just had a high metabolism at that age. I don't even think I looked that bad when I look at old pictures. But, I was eating well and had good nutrition.

Honestly, this poster seems to be severely effected by ADHD meds. The low iron would not cause such extremes.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:06 PM   #7
    lizzy76
    Veteran
    (female)

lizzy76 HB User

I agree that it doesn't necessarily have to be a weight problem. I've just been in and out of treatment for anorexia for so many years and have seen these exact symptoms on people who were very underweight (at her height and weight she would be considered to be at an "anorexic" weight by medical charts, etc), that this was just the first thing that popped into my mind since she posted her height and weight at the very beginning of her post.

It's just that the low ferriten most likely wouldn't cause the symptoms she's experiencing so it's likely something else.... like ADD or a weight issue. And when I say a weight issue, it doesn't mean you have to have an eating disorder to experience the side effects of being at a low weight... Either way, I hope you and your doctor can figure this out so you can start feeling better!

Old 05-09-2007, 06:02 PM   #8
    *pig_tails*
    (female)

*pig_tails* HB User

Hi,

thanks so much for getting back to me!!

I don't know if its measured the same in the world, but i'm from australia & these are my results.

*clinical notes it says: fe deff anaemia

Iron - 3* Should be around--> (11-29)
    Transferrin - 3.77 (2.00 - 3.80)
    Iron B. Cap. - 84* (45 - 75)
    Transfer. S. - 4* (25 - 55)
    Ferritin - 5* (18-200)

Haemoglobin - 97* (115 - 160)
    RCC 4.59 (3.74 - 5.16)
    Haematocrit - 0.320* (0.370 - 0.470)
    MCV - 69.7* (80.0 - 100.0)
    MCH - 21.1* (28.0 - 34.0)
    MCHC - 303* (310 - 360)
    RDW - 17.0* (10.0 - 15.0)

It says: Red cells show slight anisocytosis, moderate microcytosis, moderate hypochromasia, slight polychromasia, slight elliptocytosis, occasional fragmented cells.

Also since i was young, i ate like a pig and still remained really skinny. I always got teased at school for being so thin. All i wanted was to gain weight... & once i went to college... i gained 3 kgs.. and i think the change really freaked me out i developed an eating disorder which went for about a year, bulimia, laxative abuse etc... but that was 3 years ago & 2 years ago i went on roaccutane for my acne, so i ate properly, my blood was always checked.. & results weren't so bad..yet i still did have my attention deficit..having numerous thoughts at once etc.. also i'm an artist but also work as a dental assistant to support it. Once i started taking dexedrine (i've tried ritalin - had bad side effects ---major depression), i lost 5kgs even though i atee soo much.. the dr couldn't understand because it didn't suppress my appetite.. I eat junk all the time...healthy time to time...always on the move...walking etc..

Also over a week ago i started Yasmin Birth Control & it my bf was telling me my moods were similar to when i pms. In a way it's true because i cry so easily, i get angry easily etc.. I cannot contain my anger anymore..my right hand is bruised because i tend to punch the wall or mirror when i'm angry. I'm thin, but i am strong.. couple of days ago my bf and i got into a heavy argument which he told me he was going to suicide (he has psychological problems & says that when he needs quick attention) so i slapped him and punched him. He was bruised for a couple of days. I have never ever been like this before.. my anger is uncontrollable.. his also got anger issues where his now going to a therapist for it. Please note that although his got alot of suppressed anger he has never abused me. He'll normally punch the wall or throw something somewhere else...

In a sense my parents have said maybe because i see him everyday (we're practically married) & its become a habit of mine too???

Anyways i feel i cause it for him sometimes, because i nag and ***** about things i get sensitive on etc... now that's going to make a man crazy haha.. but he loves me nevertheless as do i for him.

Well there's some background info, I hoope you can tell me what my results mean and anything else i should know!!

Thank you so much!!!

Old 05-09-2007, 07:04 PM   #9
    mm9221
    (female)

mm9221 HB User

Sometimes bipolar disorder looks like ADHD. I've had mood swings being bipolar although I finally am balanced out---definitely a good thing. Have your thyroid checked. That could explain trouble gaining weight and your moods. Do you have diarrhea or bulgy eyes? Those can be symptoms of hyperthyroidism. Who knows-----just suggestions.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:12 PM   #10
    sparkles916
    Veteran
    (female)

sparkles916 HB User

I myself am not anemic, but only iron deficient. You absolutely have microcytic anemia, due to your low iron. At this point, you should be receiving active treatment for it. What has your doctor instructed you to do?

Hopefully, some of the anemic persons here on the board will be able to offer suggestions regarding their experiences with IV iron transfusions, and let you know if this is a treatment option you should pursue.

Have you been taking iron supplementation? If so, how much?

Certainly female hormones can exacerbate a situation where you are already physically ill and may have emotional effects from the anemia, in addtion to your ADHD. On top of that, you likely have emotional effects from your ADHA meds.

You need to work on a number of fronts. 1) Get the anemia treatment sorted first. 2) Then, as I mentioned earlier, and MMR9921 said, have your thyroid examined. 3) Talk to your psychiatrist about your ADHD meds, they may be too much for you as you are so slight. 4) have a dr or endocrinologist test your reproductive hormones. You have menstrual difficulties, like frequent and heavy periods (thyroid maybe), and also are having trouble tolerating the Yasmin. You know, I am sure that female hormone imbalances can make us crazy. 5) As other posters said, your low weight may be contributing to your general unwellness (maybe thyroid too)

Old 05-09-2007, 11:14 PM   #11
    *pig_tails*
    (female)

*pig_tails* HB User

also i've been a chronic ice cruncher since i was really young. Everyday i need to crunch on ice like every hour. I have lots of my own ice cube trays at home and at work. i'm lucky my boyfriend's a dentist.. (his my boss at work too).

Is there a reaosn for this?? I just read anamia can cause ice crunching? i'm not just crunching occasionally... i get introuble by my parents because it disrupts them when they're doing something, e.g reading or sleeping. Sometimes i'll come out at night just to grab some ice cubes. I never really thought of it much because its been a habit of mine since i was young.

any thoughts?

Old 05-10-2007, 05:11 AM   #12
    mm9221
    (female)

mm9221 HB User

That's listed as one of the symptoms of iron-deficient anemia.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:41 AM   #13
    barbw
    (female)

barbw HB User

Hi!
    Well from your numbers, I would say that have anemia, which in itself can really drain you, and cause constant fatigue, mood swings, etc. I can all around make you feel like *ell. Compound that with the anger issues, both yours and your BF's, can be a deadly combo. I used to think that my husband would never hit me, he too, "just punched walls" and other inanimate objects. The more I let him get away with that behavior, the more aggressive he became. It took a few years, but he eventually started pushing me. I knew then I had to get out. That was 15 years ago, he is still mad at the world, and still single. I hope your boyfriend and yourself can come to grips with your anger issues. Mentally that has to be draining you as well.

Next try to find out why you are anemic, what is causing it, then get your Iron on!

My ice cravings have almost disappeared, and it has only been 10 days since my last infusion. I was chewing about 10 ice trays a day

Old 05-10-2007, 07:54 AM   #14
    sparkles916
    Veteran
    (female)

sparkles916 HB User

barbwest :

You mentioned you had an iron infusion. Do you think *pig_tails* degree of anemia warrants an infusion? What were your labs like, esp Hgb?

Old 05-10-2007, 09:37 AM   #15
    barbw
    (female)

barbw HB User

Hi Sparkles!
    Well, my situation has a definitive cause of my anemia. My EX husband had belittled me for so many years, convinced me that I was worthless because I was fat and ugly (his words). This really became a outlet for him and anything that was wrong. When I did get out, I still felt badly about myself for years. I met someone wonderful, but still had image issues. I had gastric bypass surgery. I am completly happy with it, I am much healthier for having it. BUT, since I had done so well, never any problems, I did not follow-up with blood tests. Recently I went to the DR finally, I was starting to feel like I couldn't move without my heart beating a million beats per minute, plus I was so pale, even kids in my 3rd grade class would comment. That is when after the tests, it was determined that I could not absorb and oral iron or b12
    Here are my numbers:
    Iron, Total 9 range-37-170
    tot iron binding 480 range-250-460
    iron saturation 2 range-15-40
    Ferritin <1 range-15-40
    folate-serum 16.2 range- (>=5.5)
    Vitamin B12 226 range-211-911--But Dr said that the new guidelines should be 400 or higher to feel better.

My Hcg on the day of my first infusion was 7.6, and on my second it was 8.4, still low.

Now Pig-Tails numbers seem low, my dr. said he worried if any womans hcg gets below a 10, even if they don't feel any different, that their tissues were being deprived of needed oxygen, to operate at optimal levels. He is very respected, he does a lot of work with the elderly as well, and sees anemia quite a bit, he thinks unresolved anemia may cause all sorts of untold problems as we age.

Sorry for the long post everyone, I hope everyone feels better soon, thanks to all the support to everyone on this board, it helps immensely!

Closed Thread