It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• How fast can ferretin drop?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-21-2007, 12:39 PM   #1
    alwayshotroddin
    (female)

alwayshotroddin HB User
    How fast can ferretin drop?

Hi everyone,

About a month ago , I recieved 4 iron infusions. Before the iron infusions my ferretin level was 4 and my iron was 11 I believe. After the infusions my Ferretin was 388.1, Iron was 140, and TIBC was 487. I think the nurse even told me these were above normal, or very close.

My main complaint when I was anemic was having severe vertigo and random dizzy spells. I haven't had dizzy spells at all since I had the iron infusions except I had one yesterday afternoon that last several minutes. I did have this spell about 10 minutes after I jogged on my treadmill a few miles but I jog almost everyday, so that is nothing unusual. I was hesitant to call my doctor in case its nothing since dizziness can be caused by a lot of things, but I was wondering if any of you know how fast ferretin levels can drop? Could I possibly be anemic again in just a month after my infusions? I've had one period since my infusions and I'm getting ready to start my next this Wednesday. My doctor doesn't know why I'm anemic either. She attributed it to my stomach not absorbing iron because I was on iron supplements for 2 months and my levels continued to drop. Just curious what your thoughts are. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks!!!

Kecia

The Following User Says Thank You to alwayshotroddin For This Useful Post:
    vickitam (10-10-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2007, 01:26 PM   #2
    sparkles916
    Veteran
    (female)

sparkles916 HB User
    Re: How fast can ferretin drop?

I am not one of those who has had infusions, but I wanted to offer some related advice anyway.

The only way you can know if your ferritin levels have dropped is to have it tested and see what is going on. I would do this, as it might put your mind at ease...it is always worse wondering what is going on being anxious about symptoms.

Your dr cannot just "suppose" that you are not absorbing iron, the dr needs to run tests. I believe protocol is to supplement orally for a month or two and then if iron levels (usually using ferritin as the standard), have not increased, then other tests are necessary. It is entirely possible that you have a malabsorption issue ( a number of causes). On the other hand, there may be another cause. Tell your dr, anemia is a symptom not a diagnosis, and you want to know the cause of your anemia. If she wants to say that your stomach is the cause, then there must be proof - like testing your gastric acid, there is a test for this...do you take any antacid meds that mediate the acid? Also, H Pylori can inhibit iron absorption, but there is a test for H Pylori. Or if you have celiac disease, you could have absorption problems, but there are tests for this.

I would really try to get some answers from my dr. I learned my lesson from years of being afraid to "bug" my dr about concerns...For example, if I had been more proactive, my thyorid condition would have been detected earlier and I would not have wasted years suffering.

I cannot comment on your high ferritin level as a result of your four infusions. Though I think it is a bit high. Hopefully, some people with infusion experience can enlighten you.

The Following User Says Thank You to sparkles916 For This Useful Post:
    vickitam (10-10-2012)
    Old 05-21-2007, 05:46 PM   #3
    Susanheb
    (female)

Susanheb HB User

Kecia,
    Did they do tests to determine there was no internal bleeding? I had an ulcer and it made me anemic and affected my ferritin levels. I started taking the iron supplements but the pills alone brought my iron saturation up to 98% and my iron was high. If you had infusions, everything would be very high but if there is still internal bleeding somewhere, everything will drop again.
    I hope you find an answer.
    Sue

Old 05-22-2007, 06:29 AM   #4
    alwayshotroddin
    (female)

alwayshotroddin HB User

Hi Sue,

No, she never did any tests for an ulcer or gastro problems like an endoscopy. I did have several tests done to rule out things like celiac disease, lupus, gall bladder problems, etc. etc. which all came back normal. My doctor just figured that since my ferretin and iron levels were up after the iron infusions that my body for whatever reason cannot absorb iron and I may need more iron infusions in the future. I just wasn't sure if within a month after infusions if my ferretin and iron levels could rapidly drop that quickly. I'm going to call my doctor this morning and see what she says. Maybe it's a different problem entirely that we never discovered and the low ferretin was just an accidental discovery. I just hate going through all of this yet AGAIN. I was hoping after those infusions I would be doctor free for at least a few months lol. Thank you for your advice.

Kecia

Old 06-15-2007, 01:58 PM   #5
    steph4477
    (female)

steph4477 HB User

I had two infusions three months ago. My iron was was at 7 and my ferritin was at 2. The infusions got my numbers back into the normal range (ferritin was up to 359.) However, I checked my blood yesterday and the ferritin is now 175. I am no longer anemic but I don't understand what would make the ferritin drop so rapidly. Did you ask you doctor about your symptoms? Did they recheck your levels and find that they had changed drastically?

Closed Thread