It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Symptoms all the time??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-24-2007, 07:40 AM   #1
    Kezzalou
    (female)

Kezzalou HB User
    Symptoms all the time??

Hiya

Can I just ask if anyone has symptoms from B12 or Anemia which occur all the time or are just on and off?

The reason I ask is I get a range of problems such as tingling/numbness, skin crawling or burning feeling, sore tongue, muscle aches, and of course tiredness. I have been making a diary of symptoms and most days there is something wrong but the symptoms vary and I may not get for example the sore tongue every day but maybe a number of times a month.

I have been seeing a neurologist who says there is nothing wrong with me and he feels it is all down to anxiety and hyper-sensitivity. I had a low Ferritin of 12 which was picked up about 10 months ago. It is now about 50. My B12 has been as low as 282 but is now higher most likely as I have been supplementing.

Nobody will test further to see if I have any problem with B12 absorbtion or anything else relating to this. They feel if my levels are better now there is no point. My neurologist did say that if it was down to B12 or something then I would suffer from the symptoms all the time.

I suffer from an under-active thyroid also so did wonder if this was the cause, don't seem to be getting much help from dr's so am trying to work things out for myself !

I would be interested to find out if ayone else gets constant problems or just on and off

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2007, 09:12 AM   #2
    IamUnique
    (female)

IamUnique HB User
    Re: Symptoms all the time??

My suggestion - fight harder on the B12.

10 months ago I was in the upper 200's lower 300's - I had the symptoms you have plus a few more that even an idiot could tell something was seriously wrong. Muscle spasms everywhere - muscle jerks clearly visible - balance issues - memory problems - and I looked like walking death. Several strangers commented to me that I needed to get off the drugs I was taking. Funny because I have never in my life taken drugs.

My suggestion to you would be to get your B12 tested again as confirmation that the supplements are working (easy blood test). In my case I took over 4,000% in supplements plus kept track of what I ate proving I took in over 100% of the daily requirement. When my labs came back the next month 4 days after getting a B12 injection I went from 337 to 373 (clearly obvious that I had some other problem).

If your numbers are going up then keep up the good work and maybe supplement some extra till you are feeling better. Once your numbers are up it does take a long time for the body to recover.

In my case I have pernicious anemia and celiac so I must give myself injections every 2 weeks. It's been 10 months of this and my level is now at 777. I can tell you that I have made slow progress this whole time but progress nonetheless. About 4-5 weeks ago I really made the big jump in feeling better. I now can do the normal daily work activity and then home life afterwards. I still really look forward to sleeping till noon or later on Saturday but its considerably improved. Regarding the symptoms yes, I still get a tingle, numbness, dizzy, spasms and stiffness here and there but absolutely nothing in comparison to before. I also notice an increase in symptoms about 3-4 days prior to my shot.

With my new found energy I have been working out about 30 min a day now for 5 weeks attempting to lose the weight I have gained. And let me tell you the symptoms have increased with intensity just prior to my shot. A discussion I will be having with the Doctor.

I hope that my experience can help you in some way or another. My best advice is be sure to go to the Dr. well armed with information. (Symptoms list, all lab results, a food diary including all supplements taken etc) This lets them know you are serious and that if your are taking this much time an effort on it they, generally will take a closer look.

Good luck.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:59 PM   #3
    IamUnique
    (female)

IamUnique HB User

I was looking at a few of your previous posts and guess what might be linked to the low B12.

For a couple years I have seen off and on bright sparkling lights in my eyes that move from the outside in. Doctors said migraines - NOPE. When I first started having great difficulty with the low B12 the spots got worse then blurred and seemed like I was looking through flames or a waterfall. Apparently the low B12 was damaging my optical nerve causing these strange visual effects.

Along with that PA is also closely linked with thyroid problems.

Good luck.

Old 05-26-2007, 02:24 AM   #4
    Kezzalou
    (female)

Kezzalou HB User

Hi

I remember you being helpful before with all this B12 business !

I think it is interesting that although your B12 is now higher than before you still get the odd symptom which is exactly what I have been told by the neurologist would not happen. He said if I had a defficiency I would be suffering constantly with the same symptoms.

He is one of those people that will not listen to anyone having symptoms unless the figure is really low, he felt 282 was fine. I will keep supplementing just in case but my own doctor was reluctant to do the tests in the first place so now my levels are higher I will not stand a chance ! I guess the only way is to pay for a private consultation.

I heard PA was linked with thyroid, I guess the symptoms are quite similar which is why I am not sure what is the cause..

I have noticed my symptoms are worse at the moment but I have a virus so feel run down anyway.

Glad to hear you are feeling better

Closed Thread