It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• floradix question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-27-2007, 02:09 PM   #1
    lindsalou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lindsalou HB User
    floradix question

Hi all,

I heard mentioned in a few posts a product called floradix, can anybody share any experiances with this product? Good or bad.
    Ive been using spatone for a few years and although it hasnt caused any side effects, i feel the need for something natural but maybe a little stronger.

Im a veteran with infusions and at present im taking a childrens liquid iron prep (i cant tolerate any 'grown up' iron preps), and im trying my best to find an alternative to having infusions every few months.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Linds

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2007, 02:13 PM   #2
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
    Re: floradix question

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lindsalou View Post
    Hi all,

I heard mentioned in a few posts a product called floradix, can anybody share any experiances with this product? Good or bad.
    Ive been using spatone for a few years and although it hasnt caused any side effects, i feel the need for something natural but maybe a little stronger.

Im a veteran with infusions and at present im taking a childrens liquid iron prep (i cant tolerate any 'grown up' iron preps), and im trying my best to find an alternative to having infusions every few months.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Linds
    I have not taken Floradix yet but have only heard good things about it. I may try it myself.

However, what I remember in reading the literature on it is that the iron itself isn't from plants or anything like that. It's a form of iron (can't remember) that is basically, well, iron. What they tout as natural is that it is combined with herbs (which actually is what has kind of turned me off to the product). But since so many people seem to like it, I may give it a try.

Old 05-27-2007, 03:45 PM   #3
    lindsalou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lindsalou HB User

Thanks Christine for your reply. Im a little wary of trying new things,as i have had some pretty bad side effects from iron products in the past, mainly prescription types so im on the look out for something natural although like you say, most supplements are mixed with all kinds of things that arent truly natural.
    I just wish i could find something that gets my levels up without making me ill in the process, i might just give it a try anyway. fingers crossed.
    Regards
    Linds

Old 05-29-2007, 02:32 PM   #4
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

I too am looking for an iron supplement to get my ferritin up . I am taking slow fe and wanted something that won't bother my stomach. The slow fe is ok but the time release aspect is a problem for me because it is interacting with another drug I have to take. I was interested in the floradix and read on a **** that it is extremely icky tasting. That doesn't sound good to me. If someone who has tried the product would comment , that would be great.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:52 PM   #5
    drv
    (female)

drv HB User

i take this daily right before lunch for a month now...does not bother my stomach at all

Old 05-29-2007, 03:42 PM   #6
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

DRV-How is the taste of the product??I have read it is disgusting.Please let us know your opinion?

Did your dr. advise you to take floradix ?

Old 05-29-2007, 04:30 PM   #7
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I just bought some Floradix today and will probably try it tomorrow. I was a little disappointed when I read the ingredients, though, and saw that each dosage only contains 10 mg of ferrous gluconate. For some reason, I thought the product was more potent than that.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:06 AM   #8
    drv
    (female)

drv HB User

i dont mind the taste actually but i can swig back apple cider vinegar and fish oils and have no problems..lol i think its like a fig and herb sweet taste cant really describe it...
    no i just had some tests done not too long ago and was low in iron and think i dont absorb it too well either so i thought a liquid would be better on the stomach...but am done the bottle now and looking for something a little stronger...not sure what to take as i havent seen anything stronger in liquid form at my health store. i follow up with my doctor on the 25th of june so ill see what he says

Old 06-04-2007, 12:04 PM   #9
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Christine- What's your verdict on the floradix taste test?

Old 06-04-2007, 12:05 PM   #10
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

drv-did the floradix cause you any intestinal discomfort?

Old 06-04-2007, 12:09 PM   #11
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by osteoblast View Post
    Christine- What's your verdict on the floradix taste test?

Sorry, I *still* haven't tried it!! I've been trying some other irons and trying to give about 48 hours between each time.

This weekend I tried the kiddy stuff Feo-Gen-Sol. I don't know what to think!! I took it and about 2 hours later I had the worst intestinal gas that I think I've ever had. Lasted about 3 hours. Unfortunately, I had a piano recital to attend. Fortunately, the gas was the "trapped" kind. Mighty uncomfortable though.

I can't help but think the Feo-Gen-Sol caused it. Anyway, it has more iron in the little dropper than Floridix does in 2 tsps. Go figure.

I think I'll try the Floradix tomorrow.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:27 PM   #12
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Christine- Your experience with the Feo Gen Sol sounds terrible. I feel very sorry for any kids who have to go through that !

Did you ever try the slow fe ? I am taking the product made by novartis, it's over the counter for iron deficiency and I have had no side effects over approx 2 months. It's 47.5mg ferrous sulfate=264%daily value of iron. I just hope it raises my ferritin , won't have blood tested for another 3 weeks.

I was thinking if the floradix is ok tasting and easy on the stomach, maybe I would add that if I have to increase the amount I have to take. That is why I was wondering about your experience.

Last edited by osteoblast; 06-04-2007 at 02:29 PM.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:12 PM   #13
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by osteoblast View Post
    Christine- Your experience with the Feo Gen Sol sounds terrible. I feel very sorry for any kids who have to go through that !

Did you ever try the slow fe ? I am taking the product made by novartis, it's over the counter for iron deficiency and I have had no side effects over approx 2 months. It's 47.5mg ferrous sulfate=264%daily value of iron. I just hope it raises my ferritin , won't have blood tested for another 3 weeks.

I was thinking if the floradix is ok tasting and easy on the stomach, maybe I would add that if I have to increase the amount I have to take. That is why I was wondering about your experience.
    I haven't tried the Slow-FE because I take Synthroid. As you probably know, when taking synthetic thyroid hormone you cannot take iron with it. Even if I separate the Slow-FE from the Synthroid, the iron is so slow dissolving that it will still be in my GI tract when I take the Synthroid. I cannot afford to have my TSH values all screwed up. So, I must stay away from slow release.

As for the Feo-Gen-Sol, I don't know what to think. This afternoon I started with intestinal cramping (did not take the Feo, though) and it is getting worse. So I'm either getting a stomach virus or the iron is tearing me up. Stools were black today.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:31 PM   #14
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Christine- I am hypothyroid(hashi's) and it was my endo who told me to take ferrous sulfate based on my ferritin level. And, yes my tsh went up and then she raised my levothyroxine. But, her attitude is the ferritin has to go up.

I don't know how you can raise your ferritin without this happening. Are you thinking it is only the ferrous sulfate that will have this effect on the tsh and not the other forms of iron???

Sounds like it is the iron that is tearing you up . Not a flu - but only time will tell. I think this is why I am somewhat pushed into a corner on the slow fe-because it is gentle. So, at least I can do this , and if I have to up the levothyroxine for the period I am on the slow fe well it seems better to me than having the extreme digestive discomfort. Then when I don't have to supplement any longer, watch the tsh with testing and lower the levothyroxine. What do you think? Please tell me if you see a fallacy in this approach.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:33 AM   #15
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

First off, I hope I wasn't confusing.

I think it is fine to take most forms of iron while taking thyroid hormone. You take your thyroid hormone in the morning, wait several hours, and then start your iron dosing. The iron will be through your stomach quickly and should barely interfere with your Synthroid.

I have been taking Spatone for a long time and my TSH went from 0.5 to 0.7. Not a huge or meaningful difference. I don't think any of the other irons I have been trying will effect it.

BUT....Slow-FE will. That is because it is a slow release iron that releases over a 12 hour period (if not longer). There is bound to be some troubles with the Synthroid. This is why I have shied away from it. Now, how bad will it be? I don't know. I may give it a try myself. I have had thyroid cancer so it is *imperative* that my TSH stay low. If it raises too high, it could stimulate any thyroid cancer cells that I *might* have in my body.

Also, I heard that in some people, Slow-FE just doesn't absorb well at all. If your stool is not turning black with this stuff, then it is not work (so I've read). So, I'm kind of using it as a last resort!

I think you're rationale is fine and I would continue to try the Slow-FE and see how it is. As long as it is not making you totally hypothyroid there will be no risks for you.

Closed Thread