It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Got My Ferritin Results Back Today

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-08-2007, 02:48 PM   #1
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
    Got My Ferritin Results Back Today

I had my ferritin test (yes ONLY ferritin) yesterday. Doc called back this evening. Good news is that my ferritin seems to be on the rise. It has gone from a "5" to a "12". Doctor says that's great but, on average in HIS patient population, most "normal" people are between 50 and 70 (this he says is what most of the women he sees are at). So, I have a long way to go. He told me to just keep up what I'm doing and come back in 6 months.

So, I am doing two Spatone's a day plus one Flintstone's Chewable. Lame, I know, but it seems to be doing something.

Oh, and I cut back on my Prilosec. He wouldn't comment on that as he says there is no medical studies right now to back this up.

Christine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2007, 04:28 AM   #2
    help wanted :(
    (female)

help wanted :( HB User
    Re: Got My Ferritin Results Back Today

hi christine,
    how long have you been taking the spatone and chewable? has it made any difference to how you feel?

Old 06-09-2007, 12:30 PM   #3
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by help wanted :( View Post
    hi christine,
    how long have you been taking the spatone and chewable? has it made any difference to how you feel?

I started the Spatone (1 packet) back in late November. That one packet corrected my anemia; however, my ferritin was at 5. I continued to take the one packet of Spatone from January through April, when I had another test. Anemia was still gone (although my numbers were in the very low-normal range) and my ferritin was still at 5. So, I determined that one packet of Spatone was not enough. So in mid-April, I increased to 2 packets per day, plus added in a Flintstone's Chewable with iron. I waited approximately 7 weeks and had my blood retested (this past Thursday). So, I guess I would say a total of 7 weeks on the regimen. I don't think that's too shabby. I am going to try to work on taking more iron but I have to be careful as it can upset my stomach. I would like this ferritin to go up.

Now the million dollar question...do I feel better? Hmmmm...not really. I certainly feel better than I did back in the October-December timeframe. When I started the Spatone I did feel more energetic. But it has sort of levelled off.

The only thing I've really noticed is that I need more frequent hair cuts. I never really lost any hair during all this (as others report) but in the last 2-3 months, my hair is just growing so fast I feel like I've been at the salon TOO many times!

Old 06-09-2007, 01:30 PM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Christine--Good for you with your ferritin! I know how hard that is to get your numbers up.

I was wondering what kind of iron is it "Spatone packets" that you said you take? Is it an RX? I have never heard of it. But I don't know much about the different kinds of iron either. I get the GI upset really bad and I'm looking for another kind to try before I get injections or something else. I don't know anymore. Do you have that problem and is the Spatone gentle or what ???

FLFLOWERGIRL

Last edited by FLFLOWERGIRL; 06-09-2007 at 01:32 PM.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:58 PM   #5
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

spatone Iron. I get it through a company called Sea-Bands. I think there are other ways to get it--just don't go through the UK sites as you will pay a lot.

Spatone is a liquid iron that is really just spring water. It is from a natural spring in Wales that happens to be very rich in iron. There is only 5 mg of iron in each packet. Not a lot, but it is supposedly highly absorbed because of whatever form it is. It has never given me a day of problem--even when I take two packets. Apparently, this is a very popular form of iron in Europe and many pregnant women use it to stave off anemia.

If I were you, I'd give it a try but realize that you are probably going to need at least two packets per day. Or you can do as I do and use it as a supplement with something else.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-09-2007 at 03:05 PM. Reason: do not post search instructions to find websites - it's considered the same and you will be banned

Old 06-09-2007, 05:15 PM   #6
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
    spatone Iron. I get it through a company called Sea-Bands. I think there are other ways to get it--just don't go through the UK sites as you will pay a lot.

Spatone is a liquid iron that is really just spring water. It is from a natural spring in Wales that happens to be very rich in iron. There is only 5 mg of iron in each packet. Not a lot, but it is supposedly highly absorbed because of whatever form it is. It has never given me a day of problem--even when I take two packets. Apparently, this is a very popular form of iron in Europe and many pregnant women use it to stave off anemia.

If I were you, I'd give it a try but realize that you are probably going to need at least two packets per day. Or you can do as I do and use it as a supplement with something else.
    Christine--Thank you for your reply. It sounds like something that I may try myself. Maybe if I added it to the Poly Iron 150 that I take daily it would give me the boost that I need. I'm really meant to take 2 daily but GI issues are too bad. I will see if I can get some.

Thank you and I'm so pleased that you had such success. Just not to be anemic is GREAT and when my numbers were up I took it for granted. I feel like slip and slide. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 06-12-2007, 10:38 PM   #7
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

LOL @ Flintstones chewable :P Does it at least taste nice?

My doc added a chewable organic iron tablet to the list of things he wants me taking and it's the most awful tasting thing on earth.

The iron powder i take is bad enough. It has a lemony scent and quite a sweet taste. That was the first container. The 2nd one i got hardly had any sweetness and now the 3rd container which i'm taking is WAYYYYYY too sweet. I wish the manufacturer would keep up with the consistancy of the flavour!!

At least your ferretin is responding to whatever you are taking. That is the main thing. Mine responded, but i don't know to what exactly. It took me a year to get from 8 to 29, but i don't know at which point it moved upwards and to what it responded as i didn't have repeat blood tests. Now it seems to have stopped and also dropped to 26. Guess we just have to persevere.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:38 AM   #8
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yes, the Flinstones chewable tastes good! Lots of sugar in it you know!

Old 06-14-2007, 03:50 PM   #9
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Hey Christine- we went back and forth about iron supplements recently and I wanted to let you know my recent lab results. I went from 38 ferritin( I know others here are alot lower) to 50 ferritin in approx 3 months. (Also my rbc and hemoglobin and hematocrit were bottom of range. I don't have those results yet.) Most of the past three months I took one slow fe a day. I ate alot of red meat(I don't like meat at all).Approx.a week ago I switched to one 325 mg ferrous sulfate regular release. Anyway, I think this is proof that the slow fe works.

I think I told you at the time that I liked the Slow fe because -no side effects.
    But I am hypothyroid and the slow fe shot up my tsh.Probably any iron will do it, but I think the slow is worse. You might remember we discussed whether regular release would have less of an effect. I never really got any definitive info on this slow v. regular release. My smart pharmacist speculates that regular release will have less of an effect on tsh.

The dr. wants me to continue the iron until I am at at least 70 ferritin. I think this is going to take at least half a year based on what I have done so far. It's a bummer because when my tsh went up , the endo raised the levo and now I have gone hyper and have to cut back the levo. Let's just say it is a mess I have to deal with for awhile. My venture into hyperthyroid has been hell. The amped up anxiety feeling is something I want to be over! Racing heart , unable to sleep etc.

Anyway, I wanted to let you know that the slow fe did work.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:12 AM   #10
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Hi Osteoblast, congratulations on your levels going up. At least something is working for someone. Makes me think there is hope for all of us

The thing i don't understand is that i LOVE red meat and i always cook my steaks so that they are pink in the middle with some blood in the meat juices. I make sure i eat pulses, grains, vegetables, fruits and nuts which would be higher in iron and i make my own juices from fresh fruit/veg and always make them with beetroot plus taking a high dose supplement and nothing is working. Can't wait till i begin my iron injections. I just want my energy levels back and for my hair to be the way it used to be.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:21 AM   #11
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

That is so great to hear about your ferritin. Glad to hear the Slow-FE works. I need to get in and have my TSH checked as I have put on about 12 lbs in the last 4 months (the same amount of time I've been on more iron). Last check, in April, my TSH was 0.7 which isn't bad but I should check it again to make sure it is not continuing on a downward trend.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:26 AM   #12
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

AudreyB-Your dietary habits are outrageously good.Did the dr. say why you have low ferritin levels? It looks like mine was dietary. I had an upper endoscopy to rule out absorption issues(also have osteoporosis and d deficiency).

I have been interested in getting a juicer. Years ago, I had a real clunker of a juicer. It was such a pain to clean up that it fell into disuse. Do you have a juicer machine that you like?

I hope you can get your ferritin up! It sounds like from the dietary standpoint that you are doing excellent. Have you seen a nutririonist? Not that it sounds like you need to, but I wondered if you received direction from someone in the dietary area. I am thinking of adding a naturopath to my medical team(ugh!). It seems to me that regular md's often wait till a problem gets big before addressing an issue. I would like someone that looks at well- being and prevention issues. I try to do my best, but I think I could use some help. Probably my vegetarian diet was lacking.

My hair too is an issue. It used to be lustrous. I don't know if it was menopause, hypothyroid, low ferritin or what but it's way different. If I am successful in getting the ferritin up to a higher level then I guess I'll find out whether iron has much to do with it or not.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:33 AM   #13
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Christine- Yes, I think the slow fe worked. But, as I said because of the hypo issues I am using the regular release now. I really think the slow fe shot the tsh up 1.5 to 4.3. Then levo raised, then hyper. Now dr. says take a few days off levo and return to prior dose and re-check in 4 weeks. Well, all this is getting pretty messed up and I know it's the iron. But what can I do? Anyway when it is re-tested I'll let you know what happens. The re-test of thyroid levels will then be 5 weeks into use of the regular release ferrous sulfate rather than the slow fe. It's possible that both the slow and regular release will have same effect on tsh.

Let me know whether you think your tsh was affected by your iron supplmentation. Are you going to see an endo? If so, has your endo said anything about the iron supplementation?

Old 06-15-2007, 02:39 PM   #14
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I see an endo usually two times a year and test my TSH more often than that. I am due to see my endo either this month or July. I'm just dragging my feet because I am sick of doctor's appointments.

My endo was one of the first to note that I was mildly anemic and he really just didn't care about it. Told me to take iron before he even determined what type of anemia it was. Kind of ticked me off. So, for now, he does not know about my iron supplementation as I have not informed him of me following up with my GP on the anemia. But I will give him the whole story whenever I can get in to see him.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:11 PM   #15
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

I think your dr.'s attitude about your anemia was not right. But, in my experience it's not uncommon. Good thing that you followed up with your gp.How often do you get your tsh and t4 checked? I am new to all this and my first dr. said see you in a year. I learned later that waiting a year was inadequate. If I hadn't done some reading I would have just let it go for a year.

Closed Thread