It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• How long does Iron Deficiency Anemia last?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-21-2007, 05:53 PM   #1
    gizmosmom13
    (female)

gizmosmom13 HB User
    How long does Iron Deficiency Anemia last?

I had I.V. iron 1 1/2 weeks ago and I can't seem o find the answer to this burning question, once the infusion is complete, will this be a once in a lifetime infusion or monthly,6 monthly or yearly thing? I guess my question is will I always be considered anemic and be monitored or is it corrected with the infusion? I do know that I don't absorb iron, could this be a roller coaster ride for life. I am hoping someone can help me,I feel so stupid in regards to this subject. Thanks for any knowledge or advice anyone has for me.-Gizmosmom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2007, 03:43 AM   #2
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
    Re: How long does Iron Deficiency Anemia last?

Iron deficiency anemia is not a disease in and of itself--it is a symptom of another disease or something going wrong along the lines which is causing the iron deficiency.

You say that you don't absorb iron. How do you know this? In iron deficiency anemia, the primary cause is some sort of blood loss in the body. You could be absorbing iron just fine, but just losing it took quickly through some blood loss.

Another cause is malabsorption problems like celiac disease or overuse of antacids that would block your iron from being absorbed.

Lastly, bone marrow disorders in which there is a problem with red blood cells can cause anemia (though your iron is probably fine).

An infusion or infusions, is not going to cure your anemia. It will make it better for awhile (hopefully) but until you find the cause of the iron deficiency, you are constantly going to have to be monitoring it.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:46 AM   #3
    gizmosmom13
    (female)

gizmosmom13 HB User

I had rny gastric bypass which bypassed the protion of the small intestine that absorbs iron. I guess you could say that I have a malabsorption problem. Plus my hemo doc told me I was no longer absorbing iron.I was put on oral iron supplements and my ferritin and H&H continued to drop. So IDA will most likely part of my life forever. I just want answers and it is hard to just wait and see.
    So far the infusion has not made much of a difference in how I feel but I think it is too soon to tell.
    Thank you for your information

Old 06-22-2007, 05:14 PM   #4
    Ritah
    (female)

Ritah HB User
    Post Re: How long does Iron Deficiency Anemia last?

I had RNY gastric bypass (proximal) five years ago. I started having Iron issues at about two years post-op. It took quite a while to get proper treatment.
    I was misdiagnosed with everything from depression to vertigo!
    I am now being treated by a Hematologist. I get an IV Infusion of InFeD (1,000mgs to 1,200mgs) whenever my ferritin drops below 50.
    I have learned to keep copies of my labs and watch for any changes. I guess this will be for life. It may be less often after menopause, but post-op men eventually end up needing the infusions, as we don't absorb the iron orally anymore. It takes a few weeks to feel better. HTH
    Rita

Old 06-22-2007, 08:31 PM   #5
    gizmosmom13
    (female)

gizmosmom13 HB User

When you finally got treeated how low was your ferritin level? And how long did it take to get up to 50? About how often do you get infusions? This IDA is so vauge and follows zero rules. Sorry so many questions I am new to this wholee thing. I guess I am pretty lucky because it only took my doc 4 months to send me to a hemo doc and two weeks to get a treatment plan together.I am glad I didn't have to spend 2 years or the pain of being treated for the wrong thing. Thanks for helping.-G's mom

Old 06-22-2007, 11:36 PM   #6
    Ritah
    (female)

Ritah HB User
    Post Re: How long does Iron Deficiency Anemia last?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gizmosmom13 View Post
    When you finally got treated how low was your ferritin level? And how long did it take to get up to 50? About how often do you get infusions?
    When I finally received my first infusion my ferritin was down to 12. I was sleeping 12-14 hours a day, I developed dizziness and cracks around the edges of my lips. My PCP wanted to wait until my ferritin dropped below 10, before he would order a infusion. (That is what his lab guide says is low)
    I finally told him, "I can't go on like this" He was hesitant because my Hemoglobin was 12, but I was suffering all of these symptoms. He did order the infusion that day. My ferritin went up quickly to over 200 and stayed up for a few months. Then I started with the symptoms again after about eight months or so. Again my PCP was hesistant about ordering the infusion. I developed the symptoms this time when my ferritin was at 27. He said let's wait awhile longer.
    He didn't understand how to treat me, and apparently wasn't willing to learn.
    I asked for a referral to a Hematologist My Hematologist says there's no need to suffer, I'll order the infusions before you start developing the symptoms. I spent about two years barely functioning, oh well, I'm seeing a great Doctor now. HTH

Old 07-14-2007, 02:23 PM   #7
    joann85
    (female)

joann85 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ritah View Post
    When I finally received my first infusion my ferritin was down to 12. I was sleeping 12-14 hours a day, I developed dizziness and cracks around the edges of my lips. My PCP wanted to wait until my ferritin dropped below 10, before he would order a infusion. (That is what his lab guide says is low)
    I finally told him, "I can't go on like this" He was hesitant because my Hemoglobin was 12, but I was suffering all of these symptoms. He did order the infusion that day. My ferritin went up quickly to over 200 and stayed up for a few months. Then I started with the symptoms again after about eight months or so. Again my PCP was hesistant about ordering the infusion. I developed the symptoms this time when my ferritin was at 27. He said let's wait awhile longer.
    He didn't understand how to treat me, and apparently wasn't willing to learn.
    I asked for a referral to a Hematologist My Hematologist says there's no need to suffer, I'll order the infusions before you start developing the symptoms. I spent about two years barely functioning, oh well, I'm seeing a great Doctor now. HTH

Old 07-14-2007, 02:26 PM   #8
    joann85
    (female)

joann85 HB User

I desperately need help... this is my first time on this board.. and everything i read describes how i feel.. my ferritin is 3.. i am so exhausted, low energy.. hurt after i exercise.. stomach pains.. so on
    i saw a natural m.d. and received supplements .... i've been taken them for 1 week and no change. not that expected change so fast.. i'm so tired of feeling this way... i am going to see a hematologist this week... any suggestions!!!

Old 08-12-2007, 05:57 PM   #9
    italiungrl
    (female)

italiungrl HB User

They finally figured my ferriton level was due to heavy periods between a hematologist,gasto, and a ob/gyn finally got somewhere I am having a second go round with iron infusions till my hysterectomy next month.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:43 AM   #10
    glenni
    (female)

glenni HB User

Until you have a heart attack.

Closed Thread