It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Think My Iron Is Low, but I Also Have Another Problem

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-30-2007, 08:25 PM   #1
    CandP
    Veteran
    (female)

CandP HB User
    Think My Iron Is Low, but I Also Have Another Problem

I'm 30 and pretty much all my life I've been skinny. I weigh around 115, though I've gotton to 122

The last two years I've been dealing with a situation...I'm choking on my food. I've taken an esophogram and came back normal. I was told to seek speech therapy which I'm going to go to after the july 4th holiday.

However, due to this choking scare, I feel I'm not getting enough iron. I was told by a doc to start taking iron pills around 13 years, as it occurred to me at the time that I felt weak the first day or two after my period.

Now, Im taking a pill every day just about, but there are times where I'm feeling weak and it shows to me that my iron may be low. Could you help me figure out a diet that would maximize my iron intake? With this choking scare I'm avoiding so many foods and I find myself feeling larthagic. Even some fruits get me nervous I do not know what is wrong with me. I hate feeling this way and it is making me very scared. Should I also increase my iron pill to twice a day also?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2007, 01:10 AM   #2
    were2alike
    (female)

were2alike HB User
    Re: Think My Iron Is Low, but I Also Have Another Problem

I'm not a doctor and don't know how low your iron really are but you can eat nuts, brocoli,spinach if you like beans you can make different soups with beans which is high in iron and protein.I had low iron as a kid so I know what to eat to keep my iron to a good level.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:20 AM   #3
    sparkles916
    Veteran
    (female)

sparkles916 HB User

What struck me about your post is the choking "problems" . In my case, it was caused by a combination of anxiety and enlarged thyroid. Although at the time...for 10 years, I thought I was imagining it. It turned out I was hypothyroid - causing the anxiety and choking becasue of an enlarged thyroid.

Incidentally, You can take liquid iron and avoid the whole swallowing of a pill trauma.

I remember thinking at some points before I was diagnosed, that I would have to exist on a diet of soft, baby-like food. Luckily it never came to that, but the choking sensation went on for some time.

What is your iron status? are you anemic? or just low in ferritin?

I would also look into having my thyroid evaluated. Don't know if it will pan out, but it is a starting place.

In my case, thyroid treatment aleviated alot of the anxiety and choking problem, though on occasion it happens. My doc says my thyroid is still enlarged, so maybe that is the reason, though I expect that it was larger before treatment with thyroid hormone.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:20 AM   #4
    CandP
    Veteran
    (female)

CandP HB User

The doctor assured me it was more anxiety related than anything else. I do also suffer from a speech impediment that sort is a lack of control around the area - mouth, chewing & swallowing. This is why speech therapy was encouraged.

I really feel the choking bit has started from me not fully chewing properly....I feel at times unchewed food goes down & I find it difficult to "grab" it from quickly going down. Things like pastachio nuts and chips I have no problem with since I believe it's because they crumble quite fast and are chewed quickly; as opposed to things like steak which require long chewing.

So I know, what are symptoms of thyroid? It was never brought to my attention. For instance, now that I know I have to eat this semi tough meat I feel like there is something in my throat already

Last edited by CandP; 07-01-2007 at 10:21 AM.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:03 AM   #5
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I used to think that low iron was simply low iron and that it didn't affect anything else, but have since found out that it can lead to thyroid disorders if you leave your iron issues untreated.

On the other hand, it is best to have everything checked out thoroughly to rule out any other possibilities. I do believe that i did read something regarding problems with swallowing and that it can be related to iron too. I can't recall where exactly i read it, but it was one of the symptoms and more likely from long term anemia/constant low iron.

If you have difficulty chewing meat sufficiently to enable swallowing you could look into different cuts/types of meat and the way you cook it. I find some cuts of beef to not be as appetising as others and some cuts are much more suited to be quickly cooked, leaving it a bit pink in the middle and then eating ASAP while the meat is still tender and juicey. Eat some leafy green vegetables with it, drink a glass of fresh juice to help absorb the iron too. You can cook with minced meat too. As that is already ground down it doesn't take much to chew and swallow it.

Vegetables don't have as high an iron content on their own as when eaten with red meat, this is why a lot of vegetarians have difficulty with their iron levels. You can do research on the net and there are loads of sites which tell you iron rich foods whether you are a vegetarian or not.

Closed Thread