It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Could this be caused by my Pernicious Anemia?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-07-2007, 03:42 PM   #1
    Grace 312
    (female)

Grace 312 HB User
    Could this be caused by my Pernicious Anemia?

I posted this in the foot section & would like to have it read here.........cause I would like imput from those more educated in P.A. than I am! All replies appreciated.

Periodically (about 6 time a year) I will have stong, deep pain in my left foot. (It is very difficult to describe). It actually feels like the problem is the vein or artery that runs the length of the foot on the left side. The problem only happens at night, while I am asleep and wakes me. There is nothing that I can do to make the pain subside. The next day I will feel some residual soreness.

It happened last night and was soooooooo painful. Today I finally decided to go to a clinic and speak with a medical professional. Mainly I was afraid that I had some type of blockage in that foot. I was seen by a physicans assistant and I was not impressed with her analysis. She did not conduct any test (didn't even take my blood pressure) and did not look at my foot. She told me that the pain was as a result of nerve damage from diabetes. The problem is............I don't have diabetes!!!!

She said that since both of my parents are diabetics, I am probably one too. I told her that I had a glucose tolerance test 2 or 3 years ago & was told that I do not have diabetes.

I do have hypothyroidism (since I was a teenager) and pernicious anemia (diagnosed 6 or 7 years ago). In addition for the past week or so, I have been having tingling in my left hand and numbness in the tip of my index finger on that hand. I had experience tingling sensations prior to be diagnosed with the p. anemia, but the b-12 injections fixed that & I recently (a few months ago) had my b-12 levels checked by my endochronologist. Also my "normal" body temperature is 96.8 and I sometimes breakout in rashes for no apparent reason. I am 47 years old and have never had any foot problems before & I exercise regularly by walking or using an elliptical. I am overweight by about 30 or maybe 35 pounds and have been for 7 years. Prior to that time, I was very skinny and never had to diet! Now I live on a diet and am unable to loose weight. My GP says it is merely "age"!

My foot is not swollen or discolored. I really do not have a clue as to what I should do next! I have very poor insurance with a huge deductible. Should I get re-checked for diabetes.........or does anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong with my foot?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2007, 11:15 AM   #2
    Merimac
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User
    Re: Could this be caused by my Pernicious Anemia?

Get checked for diabetes again if it has been a few years. I am not a doctor but, any time you get a nerve injury, it can be felt in all the locations that the nerve goes to. If you have diabetic neuropathy, the feet are usually the first to notice because of the distance from the central nervous system reception centers. The other thing about pernicious anemia is that it does exactly the same damage to your body that diabetes does, it is just a name for anemia that can not be easily healed due to an autoimmune component. Diabetes has an autoimmune component as well. Get your self checked out. The deductible and the worry will be negligible compared to relief of knowing what is causing the problem. There is a medication for the pain related to diabetic neuropathy but they usually save it until the pain does not get relieved by simple pain killers like tylenol.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:18 PM   #3
    Grace 312
    (female)

Grace 312 HB User
    Re: Could this be caused by my Pernicious Anemia?

Thanks for the advice Merimac!

I did check my blood sugar this morning with my Dad's testing equipment. My sugar was 72 & I had not eaten anything prior to the testing.

I never thought about pernicious anemia doing the same damage to the body as diabetes ............ no one ever expressed that to me before. Basically, I was told not to worry about it as long as I take the B-12 shots. I was also told that I inherited the condition from my paternal grandmother who had pernicious anemia (but didn't have diabetes). I do not know the long term effects of the anemia on her body because she died at the age of 49 as a result of leukemia.

I suppose I really need to do so research ............thanks again Merimac

Closed Thread