It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Anemia - Doctors conclude the cause is...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-11-2007, 07:57 AM   #1
    littlebunnyfoo
    (female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User
    Anemia - Doctors conclude the cause is...

my periods.

My endoscopy came back clear. Colonoscopy came back clear. Biopsy of small intestine (Celiac?) came back negative.

So I guess I will be on iron pills until menopause as I cannot take birth control due to my migraines with visual aura (increases stroke risk because of the visual aura).

Hair still shedding although not as much as a year ago. I can see my part where I didn't have a part before.

Wondering if injections might be better since this is probably going to be going on for quite a while...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2007, 09:10 AM   #2
    Shamrock
    (female)

Shamrock HB User
    Re: Anemia - Doctors conclude the cause is...

This happened to me as well although my hematologist feels that other medication I need to take for lupus inhibits the absorption of the iron as well. I had to have IV iron for 9 months and my iron saturation was STILL low when he let me go on to the oral pills again. It can take 6 months to a year or more to correct if the anemia is severe. I now take the oral iron three times a day and so far so good. I have an appt. in October so we shall see what he says then. If your anemai is bad then I would think about injections or IV. The iron is absorbed much more quickly that way. Good Luck!

Old 07-11-2007, 10:25 AM   #3
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

littlebunnyfoo--

You don't say your age and if you want something permanent done, but there is a procedure they can do called Novasure which is an endometrial ablation. They can "burn out" the endometerial lining. 80% of women who have this done stop having periods (you still ovulate though) and 20% have very light periods.

Just a thought if you want to stop the periods but you must be done bearing children.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:46 AM   #4
    littlebunnyfoo
    (female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User

I'm 33. My hubby has a vasectomy so we are done having kids (we have 2 girls ages 5 and 3).

That is interesting. I will have to look that up...

Old 07-11-2007, 11:09 AM   #5
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by littlebunnyfoo View Post
    I'm 33. My hubby has a vasectomy so we are done having kids (we have 2 girls ages 5 and 3).

That is interesting. I will have to look that up...
    I know many women have had it done (for heavy periods) and they LOVE it.

You do have to go to the hospital, be mildly sedated. The procedure takes about 5 minutes and then you wake up and go home. I thnk there is a period of time (about 4 weeks) were you have discharge and then that is it. My GYN was trying to talk me into it but I was only going to do it if the periods were the cause of my anemia. I don't think they are, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to stop them!

Old 07-11-2007, 03:25 PM   #6
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Littlebunnyfoo-- I also went to the GI Doc and he asked me if I had heavy periods and I said, yes.

BUT I also have acid reflux and burning in my esophagus from the Ferris Sulfate I was on 3X daily. Ended up in the ER. Note that I have taken Nexium for 7 years now and I am also Hypothyroid (Hashimotos).

I thought that I was bleeding and told him that. He said, if he were in Vegas betting he would say that it was my periods. GREAT! So he put me on another iron PolyIron 150 which I can tolerate now. I had an endo,colon,trans vag ultrasound, and nothing was found. The endoscopy was done 3 weeks after I saw him so I was wondering if something didn't heal along the way. My mom had bleeding but they didn't find the cause it had healed on it's own. I wonder if this didn't happen to me?

I went to the Hemo Doc. He also said, that it was my periods like everyone else except the GYN, she said if they are still heavy come back and see me. Another Doctor said that it will be a transfusion or an Ablation that's when I made up my mind. Well, it has been six months that I have been fighting to get to the scale of 11.5. I go up and down because they take me off and on iron due to stomach upset and iron with and without food. So I had the ablation a few weeks ago. I will find out this week if I get a period. She said, that I might bleed for the next two months then stop??????? She did find and removed 7 polyps. She thought that was why I was heavy.????

I will let you all know what my results are. I'm very excited. I see the Hemo Doc (that doesn't listen to me) in 3 more weeks. I'm on monthly visits because with food I dropped 1 point with 2 periods in 6 weeks.

I'm on 150 2x daily now on an empty stomach 1 hour before my meal. I'm now feeling better so it has to be going up now. So, I would talk to the GYN about a procedure to stop the bleeding it can't hurt too bad! FLFLOWERGIRL

Last edited by FLFLOWERGIRL; 07-11-2007 at 07:38 PM.

Closed Thread