It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• iron and b12 deficient anemia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-12-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
    myhearthurts
    (female)

myhearthurts HB User
    iron and b12 deficient anemia

I have Iron deficient and b12 deficient anemia and I was wondering what causes anemia? can you be anemic like that without any underlyning cause/ disease. my anemia just started about 1-2 years ago and is progressively getting really bad fast. my b12 deficiency got so bad that I had to have a shot every month and take supplements and it has not gone up. my doctor said its the cause of my neurological problems. my iron got so low that i can no longe donate blood and the hospital worries when I go in for procedures.

one other question. how can I prevent bruising? are there any other vitamins that will help that or anything...I bruise so easily that almost anything gives me bruises on my legs now. I have 5-7 spots on each lower leg currently.

thanks
    mel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2007, 03:36 PM   #2
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
    Re: iron and b12 deficient anemia

Quote:
    Originally Posted by myhearthurts View Post
    I have Iron deficient and b12 deficient anemia and I was wondering what causes anemia? can you be anemic like that without any underlyning cause/ disease. my anemia just started about 1-2 years ago and is progressively getting really bad fast. my b12 deficiency got so bad that I had to have a shot every month and take supplements and it has not gone up. my doctor said its the cause of my neurological problems. my iron got so low that i can no longe donate blood and the hospital worries when I go in for procedures.

one other question. how can I prevent bruising? are there any other vitamins that will help that or anything...I bruise so easily that almost anything gives me bruises on my legs now. I have 5-7 spots on each lower leg currently.

thanks
    mel

mel,

There is *always* a reason for anemia. Anemia is a symptom, it is not a disease. There are many different things that can cause it and, one by one, you have to go through the process and try to find it out. If it's iron deficiency, the first thought is ALWAYS blood loss. Once that is ruled out you move on to other things like autoimmune disorders (that destroy red blood cells) and malabsorption issues.

I know very little about b12 deficiency but my first thought is that it is mainly caused by absorption problems.

Since you are both iron deficient and B12 deficient, I'm thinking you have something that is causing you not to absorb these nutrients from your food. I think a celiac test would be in order. Then it would be really good to look at your diet.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:30 PM   #3
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

You should be checked for internal bleeding by endoscopy and colonoscopy. No it's not fun , but you need to know what is going on. And, as previous poster said get blood test for celiac disease. Good luck and let us know how you do.I am involved in this process myself right now and this is the procedure being followed.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:59 PM   #4
    myhearthurts
    (female)

myhearthurts HB User

I had an endo and colonoscopy done in 2005 and it came back ok but recently started to pass blood through my stool on occasion. I have also been throwing up alot and some blood has been in that too. My doctor thinks I have an esophageal stricture which is causing food to get stuck in my esopgaus and not get into my stomach. He is not sure exactly if it is that though. I am only 23 yrs old and dont know why I would have one so young or if thats the reason for my anemia or not. I had a tumor in my throat in 2003 so I am a little concerned about that. It was basal cell carcinoma so that kind doesnt spread and it was cut out. I am going for an endoscopy on august 1st cause my doctor is concerned about my recent wieght loss. I went from about 147 to 130/131 in about 3 months without chnaging anything. Maybe I will find something out and feel better. I will let you all know. thanks for the advice.

mel

Old 07-14-2007, 05:10 PM   #5
    rileyroe
    (female)

rileyroe HB User

Your neurological problems are not causing your B12 level to not rise. Your B12 deficiency is causing your neurological problems. The brusing is also most likely due to the B12 deficiency, as well as the weight loss and the other symptoms you mentioned. You need many injections of B12, not just a few and most of the time once a month is not enough in the beginning. How low was your B12 level? I think the best place for you to start is by asking your doctor to test you for pernicious anemia. There is a good chance that is the cause and it is a lot less expensive than having an endoscopy or a colonoscopy. There is always a reason for B12 deficiency and anemia. You need to make sure your doctor finds out what it is! There is a wonderful book called "Could It Be B12? An epidemic of Misdiagnosis." It is written by Sally Pacholok, who is a nurse and her husband who is a doctor. It has a lot of great information in it. Do a search on Pernicious Anemia and see what you think.

Last edited by rileyroe; 07-14-2007 at 05:11 PM.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:31 PM   #6
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Rileyroe is right -- Prenious anemia test is a good place to start.

Another thing not mentioned is medication-- If you are taking a PPI (Proton Pump inhibitor) like Prilosec, Nexium, Prevacid or Aciphix to reduce stomach acid for throat problem it can inhibit the absorption of vitamin B-12.
    That may be why the B 12 is not increasing with treatmen??

I wish you well---Harry.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:41 AM   #7
    myhearthurts
    (female)

myhearthurts HB User

no the doctor RXed me prevacid but I do not take it. I am waiting for them to do the surgery. I have been b12 deficient for a long time now. what is Prenious anemia? I will look into that. I am not toooo conserned with this except the bruising really scares me. I have a huge bruise on my hip just because my significant other rolled over and hit hit it during the night.. and all the bruises really hurt.
    thanks again
    mel

Old 07-16-2007, 06:13 AM   #8
    rileyroe
    (female)

rileyroe HB User

Pernicious anemia is a chronic illness caused by impaired absorption of vitamin B-12 because of a lack of intrinsic factor (IF) in gastric secretions. Intrinsic factor is made by special cells in the lining of the stomach. There is a lot of information on the internet about it. There are special tests that you can hae done to confirm pernicious anemia. They are the parietal cell antibody and intrinsic factor antibody tests.

Mandy

Old 07-16-2007, 06:24 AM   #9
    lonelymum
    (female)

lonelymum HB User

Hi. I am also B12 deficient being diagnosed with Pernicious Anaemia 2 years ago. To start with the treatment was B12 shots regularly ie once a week and then building to once a month and now I tend to need them every 6-8 weeks. I was basically deficient of B12 by the time I was diagnosed. Symptoms were pins and needles in my left hand and forearm and and then progressed to left foot also. On several occasions my arm would be like a log and I could not move it. I also bled from my gums and had terrible fatigue. I would wake for a few hours to have to return to bed for several hours even after sleeping 10 hours or so through the night. I remember being told that our system does not absorb B12 (no matter how much B12 enriched foods, vitamins etc you eat/take etc) and that it is genetic. I had an endoscopy/colonoscopy done last year as blood was found in my stools also to find that I had chronic inflammation of the stomach lining. It is a good idea (according to my doctor) to have this done as one in so many pernicious aneamia sufferers can develop stomach cancer. (Not suggesting this is your problems as it is a stretch of numbers that they quote). I have also been told that I will need to have B12 injections for the rest of my life. It is a matter of trying to gauge and sometimes I have let it go that little bit too long before having the shot and end up very tired and non functioning but it is from what I have been told nothing life threatening as it once used to be a long time ago. Take care and have some further tests. Good luck.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:39 AM   #10
    myhearthurts
    (female)

myhearthurts HB User

thanks. I get b12 shots once a month and they havent helped so maybe Ill ask if I can get them once every other week. My gums and mouth bleed alot now even if nothing touches them. I didnt know why but I guess its from the anemia...I will get more tests and thanks for the info.

mel

Old 07-16-2007, 12:22 PM   #11
    barbw
    (female)

barbw HB User

mel, there could be other reasons to check out the endoscopy, I thought I was fine as well, I had the endoscopy a couple years back. just a year later I was hospitalized with bleeding ulcers, they had developed in the year since I had the endoscopy. Good luck,
    Barb

Closed Thread