It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• I Finally Tried the Floradix

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-16-2007, 05:58 AM   #1
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
    I Finally Tried the Floradix

I can't remember who was asking me about the taste of Floradix. Maybe it was Osteoblast???

At any rate, I finally tried the stuff over the weekend. It wasn't all that horrible. Kind of like a prune juice taste with a citrus and honey flavor to it.

However, I am not going to continue it. After two doses of the stuff, my teeth had a rather "stained" look to them (which has disappeared). Also there's not a lot of iron in each dose so I feel like I'd be drinking a lot of it. I don't want to stain my teeth. After the second dose, my stomach did feel a little irritated. Probably not so much from the iron and more to do with all the other stuff in the product.

Christine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2007, 09:04 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: I Finally Tried the Floradix

Christine--Sorry that the Floradix didn't work for you. It seems we try so many things to get that Ferritin up. Congratulations on your Ferritin going up. I'm trying to get to 10 right now. The Doctor told me it can take a year to fill the storage levels.

I ordered the Spatone that you told me about. It took 3 weeks to get here because they ran out of it. Was yours a liquid form? Now that I have it, I'm not sure if I can take it along with the PolyIron 150 that I currently take 2 a day with a multi vitamin 18 of iron. Do you know if you can mix these?? I had a severe reaction to Ferris Sulfate 3 a day when I first became ill and It caused a Lupus like flair reaction. It was poison to my body and no Doctor could help me. It just had to wear off which took 3 months.

What do you think?? Thank you for you help. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 07-17-2007, 04:48 AM   #3
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yes, you can take the Spatone with the other stuff. It is really gentle and isn't a "synthetic" iron. Just occurs natually in the water. I have taken it with all sorts of things.

Just a question--did you order yours directly from the company in the UK or did you find a supplier in the states? I was wondering what the costs were for ordering overseas. I had a problem with my US supplier and will no longer use them.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Thanks for the information on Spatone, I knew you would have the answer.

I ordered from a U.S. based company in Rhode Island, as you suggested. I purchased 14 Sachets in a box which gave a couple more than other companies, 4-7 days Via USPS, $9.99 + $7.99 Shipping (ouch!) T $17.98. It is Sea Bands Spatone Iron. Does that sound like what you get? Since they were out of it at the time, I would just buy ahead there is no exp. date on the sachet. I was also able to do an online live chat with customer service to track why it didn't come on time. They were able to tell me the reason right away and when I would receive it.

Have you tried the PolyIron 150 Caps? I ask because I am unable to take most forms of iron and I can take that on an empty stomach now. I highly recommend it. It is safer than regular Ferris Sulfate products that act as free radicals. That is the reason that it was made. Thanks again, FLFLOWERGIRL

Last edited by FLFLOWERGIRL; 07-17-2007 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Added info.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:06 AM   #5
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I will tell you that I quit buying the Spatone from SeaBands. I had started noticing "debris" in some of my sachets. I wrote the company in the UK and they were very alarmed. Turns out there is an expiration date on the water, SeaBands is putting a "sticker" over it as the FDA says it is okay. Spatone doesn't want anyone using it after two years. I was ticked off.

To boot, the Spatone company has severed ties with all US distributors, which is why the US distributors are selling "old" stuff. SeaBand is refunding my money for the last shipment and Spatone is sending me a new supply, for free, from the UK, with instructions on how to place future orders. I hope it's not going to be too expensive.

I'm still really mad over all this.

As for the PolyIron, would you mind listing the ingredients to me off your vial? I would like to know the inactive ingredients because I have developed an allergy to one of the commonly used ones and can no longer take a lot of the OTC stuff anymore.

Thanks.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:40 PM   #6
    AngieNYC
    (female)

AngieNYC HB User

Christine,
    are you mxing the floradix with some juice? When I used it I mixed it with a small cup of juice, so there was no teeth staining or stomach irritation. In the end the Floradix didnt help tho, my anemia was too severe and I'm getting weekly IV iron now. No matter what I did I my body wouldnt absorb iron supplements.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:47 PM   #7
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngieNYC View Post
    Christine,
    are you mxing the floradix with some juice? When I used it I mixed it with a small cup of juice, so there was no teeth staining or stomach irritation. In the end the Floradix didnt help tho, my anemia was too severe and I'm getting weekly IV iron now. No matter what I did I my body wouldnt absorb iron supplements.

No, I didn't mix it with juice.

You know, I probably shouldn't have even bought the Floradix. I have a real "aversion" to herbs and herbal supplements unless there are studies behind them. It bugged me that all these herbs were in Floradix. Who knows what they might interfere with. Out of desperation (Spatone troubles) I tried the Floradix. I just didn't like the idea of the herbs so I didn't even bother with trying to mask it with the juice. I suppose that would work well enough though. I also read that you could sip the Floradix throug a straw to prevent the staining.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:28 PM   #8
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Maybe that is why it took so long for mine to get here??? It did say that there was no exp. date. I'm going to wait until my next CBC / Ferritin to try out the Spatone on it's own. I want to make sure my numbers are climbing first.

The PolyIron 150 capsule are a RX however, It is also sold OTC and is the same. It's cheaper for me to use my insurance co/pay. My GI Doc gave it to me because I was so ill. It is a Polysaccharide Iron Complex, PIC. It says standard Brownish-Orange Capsule, Side 1: CPC 1465. No other information is listed it comes in a zip-lock bag and blister pack. But the Pharmacy will tell you. The last time that I was on it with food 2X daily my HGB went from 8.5to 12.9 in 8 weeks. I think that's great! I'm now going for more absorption and taking it on an empty stomach and it feels fine. Much better than w/food. I have been doing this for 2 1/2 wks and feel better already. On the 31st I get a new CBC, I can't wait to see my numbers. I hope that you can try this. FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread