It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• So... how did your anemia start?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-18-2007, 07:22 AM   #1
    Cuddle Core
    (female)

Cuddle Core HB User
    So... how did your anemia start?

I'm just curious to know how quickly Anemia can hit you. Mostly because I've got a suspicion that I may just have it...

I haven't felt quite right for six weeks now; I wasn't worried at first, but it's continued to get worse. Fatigue, weakness, pale skin, lightheaded-ness and shortness of breath; all of them have been getting a little worse by the day.

Now... as soon as I get my mother to make a doctor's appointment for me, I'll go. First of all, I'd just like to hear how Anemia started in all of you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2007, 07:34 AM   #2
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
    Re: So... how did your anemia start?

I was totally taken by surprise.

I was at the dermatologist for a skin rash. He decided to run a lot of blood work to determine if I had lupus or some other problem. The only thing that showed up was anemia--which he didn't even tell me about. I only saw it when I picked up the paperwork 2 weeks later.

I have no idea how long I've had it. I only know that over the past 10 years or so, my hematocrit and hemoglobin have very gradually declined on routine blood tests. Back in 1995 I had a value of 41, then 39, then 38 for a long time, then I was at 34.

I have been tired for years and have made complaints about it but I was always ignored. About 2 years ago, I noticed that I would get out of breath easily walking up a hill or my heart would race. I was not truly anemic then but I suppose it was starting.

I've never had the paleness and lightheadness I don't think.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:15 AM   #3
    aloneinjax
    (female)

aloneinjax HB User
    Cool Re: So... how did your anemia start?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
    I was totally taken by surprise.

I was at the dermatologist for a skin rash. He decided to run a lot of blood work to determine if I had lupus or some other problem. The only thing that showed up was anemia--which he didn't even tell me about. I only saw it when I picked up the paperwork 2 weeks later.

I have no idea how long I've had it. I only know that over the past 10 years or so, my hematocrit and hemoglobin have very gradually declined on routine blood tests. Back in 1995 I had a value of 41, then 39, then 38 for a long time, then I was at 34.

I have been tired for years and have made complaints about it but I was always ignored. About 2 years ago, I noticed that I would get out of breath easily walking up a hill or my heart would race. I was not truly anemic then but I suppose it was starting.

I've never had the paleness and lightheadness I don't think.
    I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis back in 2003. Yes, I am lots of meds but I am doing pretty well. I noticed I had been very tired, more so but didn't think anything of it and mentioned it to my neuro when I went to see him. He did blood tests and I get a call that I had a B12 and Folic Acid deficiency. Like you, I was shocked and surprised. I also had to go in and get a B12 shot. I am still tired, yesterday slept on and off. Of course, my MS is very heat sensitive and we were in the triple digits yesterday. However, I have a question. I have been sick to my stomach, barely wanting to eat because I feel sick right away, since starting Folbee. It is B12 and Folic Acid combined. Could this be making me sick to my stomach? I am talking about going to bed with a rolling stomach and waking up with one. I have not even been thinking about food because it just make ill to even smell it. Or...could something else be going on? Thank you in advance.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:04 AM   #4
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

Supplements are quite notorious for causing gastrointestinal upsets. If you have a sensitive GI system, even WORSE!!

I can hardly take any OTC multivitamins for the problems they cause me intestinally. If this stomach issue is new for you as well as the Folbee, then I think you've found your culprit.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:31 PM   #5
    brittany10
    (female)

brittany10 HB User

Ive had mine ever since i was born. Me and my sister are identical twins and the doctors told my mom how we got it.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:01 AM   #6
    shefab
    (female)

shefab HB User

Hi, I just found this board. I have malabsorption after having had 70% of my small intestine removed due to ischemic small bowel. I have had trouble finding info and forums through the gastro message boards on chronic anemia, so I am glad to find this one. Does anyone here take IV iron infusions? I am struggling to keep my iron saturations up with oral Niferex. I am currently at 5% (normal I think is 20-50%).

So the bowel resection is how my anemia started. I had an emergency hysterectomy at the same time and looking back I think it probably saved me. I can't imagine still having periods with an iron saturation of only 5%!

Old 07-21-2007, 11:21 AM   #7
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

I started to eat ice (pica). I've never even put much ice in my drinks before. I had crushed ice all the time even took it to the bath and driving. My daughter finally told me that I was out of control. I also thought that it was strange. I did this for about 6 months, I looked it up on the Internet. Information said, eating ice is a sign of anemia. I still didn't really believe it. I thought anemia was just something like getting a cold. I never realized.

I knew I was having Labs done by my Endo so I "waited" to tell him at my apt. I also learned from the Internet that I need to ask for a Ferritin test. So my Doc had no problems doing this for me. Then 3 days later the Doctor called me at home one morning and said it's not an emergency but I need to return his call. He said, I had a 2 Ferritn and 8.5 Hgb., and that I need to see my PCP. I only had on faint spell before this when I was cleaning my bathroom one day. Other than that I had no symptoms and felt fine. My Hemo said, that I had been like this for a very long time that is why I didn't notice.

I wish that I would have done something sooner. Don't put off seeing a doctor. FLFLOWERGIRL

Last edited by FLFLOWERGIRL; 07-21-2007 at 02:16 PM.

Old 07-21-2007, 12:11 PM   #8
    GotIron?
    (male)

GotIron? HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shefab View Post
    Hi, I just found this board. I have malabsorption after having had 70% of my small intestine removed due to ischemic small bowel. I have had trouble finding info and forums through the gastro message boards on chronic anemia, so I am glad to find this one. Does anyone here take IV iron infusions? I am struggling to keep my iron saturations up with oral Niferex. I am currently at 5% (normal I think is 20-50%).

So the bowel resection is how my anemia started. I had an emergency hysterectomy at the same time and looking back I think it probably saved me. I can't imagine still having periods with an iron saturation of only 5%!
    I am currently on my third session of Ferrlicit infusions as a result of long term anemia due to small bowel bleeding. Each session consists of 8 infusions spread out over a 4 week period, 2 infusions a week. The infusion takes roughly one and a half to three hours depending on if the patient has any need for pre injections such as benedryl for allergic reactions. The nurses can also change the push so it takes a bit longer. I struggled with my first 4 until i found out that i was indeed allergic to the drug. I experienced shortness of breath, dizziness, itchy-rashy skin, and sore joints. After that i was given Tylenol and a bag of something that I was told is the equivelent of Benedryl. The benedryl does make me extremely loopy and eventually knocks me out cold for the remainder of the infusion but the side effects are rather minimal after that. Tight back, slight irritablility, so my wife tells me, and a slight change in sleep pattern. I have always driven myself home afterwards but i don't recommend it if you do get the benedryl because you are going to be out of it. If anyone else out there has experience with the drug Ferrlicit, I would love to hear from you. All in all it does get my raise my hgb and allows me to build healthy red blood cells so i can't complain.

Last edited by GotIron?; 07-21-2007 at 12:14 PM.

Old 07-21-2007, 03:25 PM   #9
    shefab
    (female)

shefab HB User

So you feel better? That's good to hear. I am getting nervous about doing the infusion mainly because I am a 'veinless wonder' and have had to have a central line the last two times i was in the hospital. Do you just get a regular IV?

Old 07-27-2007, 01:35 PM   #10
    GotIron?
    (male)

GotIron? HB User

It is a regular IV in either the forearm or back of the hand.If you are prescribed Ferrlicit, you will most likely go a couple of times a week and they can leave the IV in you so you don't have to get pricked as much.

How exactly was your ischemic bowel diagnosed? I have gone through just about every test imaginable besides a double-balloon enteroscopy which I will have Aug 7th and my doctor can't seem to find the source of my bleeding? Were you Anemic before your surgery?

Last edited by GotIron?; 07-27-2007 at 01:39 PM.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:59 PM   #11
    shefab
    (female)

shefab HB User

I have had about a dozen small bowel obstructions over the last 15-20 years and seven resections. I always get an NG tube for a few days first to see if it will resolve, and if it does not I go to surgery. I don't have Crohns or any of the usual culpits, just sections of bowel that die off for no reason. Today I only have about 4 feet left so I hope I never have another obstruction! My diet is pretty limited and I take most meds in liquid form.

I seem to recall being only mildly anemic pre surgeries. The anemia I have now will be lifelong because of malabsorption/short bowel syndrome. I am still able to work full shifts and just grateful to be alive.

Closed Thread