It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Newly Anemic

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-24-2007, 02:34 PM   #1
    anne77
    (female)

anne77 HB User
    Newly Anemic

Hello all, I am new here and have just been diagnosed with anemia. i am female and 30 years old.
    My levels are: Hemoglobin 10 and Ferritin 4
    I have all the typical symptoms of iron deficency anemia: tiredness, chest pain, palpatations and rapid heart rate, weakness, dizziness, tingling, headache and brain fog, slow healing etc
    My anemia is possibley due to my vegetarian diet, heavy periods, IBS and habitual use of nsaids for migriane.
    My GP believes that my anemia has been long term and is responsible for some of my other health problems of recent years. He says that treating my anemia should improve if not cure my Mirgaine, and that the problems I have had with my weight should improve and that I should begin to find weightloss easier once my iron levels are brought up.
    I understand that Headaches can be a sign of anemia so I can see the logic in that treating it should help with my mirgaine, has anyone else experiance of this?
    However with the weight issue I am not so sure because I always thought that weightloss was symptomatic of anemia and not weight gain. My GP says not so and that he suspects that my very low energy levels due to anemia have prompted me to over eat to compensate and at the same time left me to fatigued for exercise. I do actually exercise but while most people find exercise invigorating I find that I feel exhasted and sore for days after and often very lightheaded and dizzy after working out.
    Another thing is during exercise when I am working out moderately to hard I experiance angina type chest pain. I was refered to a cardiologist and my heart tested normal. I did a stress/exercise test but they only ever asked me to walk on a treadmill so I never got close to the more moderate intensity I needed to recreate the chest pain. I told them this and they dismissed my concerns saying it would have showed up at that level. That was about 18 months ago and I still get the same pain if I try to exercise to a higher intensity. I wonder now if the anemia could be causing this as well as the dizziness after exercise?
    I am also due to have my thyroid checked and am having my blood sugar levels monitored. I'm sorry this is a bit of a ramble, I just has so many questions at the moment so any help anyone could give with the above queries would be wonderful.

Thanks for reading!

Anne x

Last edited by anne77; 07-24-2007 at 02:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2007, 05:07 PM   #2
    IamUnique
    (female)

IamUnique HB User
    Re: Newly Anemic

Wow - good luck to you.

I have trouble with B12 but what I understand is that alot of the symptoms are similar. I did notice the IBS portion and thought I would give you something to ponder.

During the time the doctors were looking for what was killing me they also found that I have celiac (glutten intolerance) I have had IBS horribly since 12 years old and became anemic recently (not due to ceilac) Since you are a veggi I am sure you put alot of grains in your meals you might watch to see if you also get bloating nausea and a host of other symptoms. If the answer is yes try cutting out wheat, barley and rye from your meals for about 2 weeks and see if your IBS gets better.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:47 PM   #3
    Mooch10
    (female)

Mooch10 HB User

Hi I'm basically the opposite, I have too much iron. My anemia is rare, CDA Type II Anemia. My hemoglobin is usually between a 7.5 and a 9.0. I take procrit shots twice a week. I had this anemia all my life but it hasn't effected me until my 30's. I have the same symptoms. I am always tired!!!! Do you have a hemotologist because he can answer more questions than a regular Doctor. I'm also going to check my thyroid from weight gain and my sister has thyroid problems. My dizziness is due to my hemoglobin dropping and sometimes I need a blood transfusion. I go every 3 months to check blood levels. Sometimes if I feel dizzy, really tired, constantly cranky and hot I will go to my hemotologist just to check my levels. Find a hemotologist!!!!

Old 07-25-2007, 04:07 AM   #4
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

Anne,

I have most of the symptoms that you have listed. I am not a "headache" person; however, when my anemia was at its worst, I was getting these horrible, "icepick-in-my-eye" headaches that were debilitating. As I have started using iron, they have abated to a degree although I still get them from time to time in a milder form.

As for your chest pain, I'm just not sure. It could easily be from the anemia since when you are working hard your heart is straining for oxygen.

I have the same feelings after exercise that you do. Sometimes it will just poop me out for DAYS after 30 minutes on the treadmill.

I also had major NSAIDS use due to period cramps and clotting. I was directed to use Motrin heavily during these times and I did for years. When I had an upper endoscopy, there was bleeding found in my stomach. They don't think this *caused* the iron depletion, but it certainly did not help.

As for the weight issue--during the whole diagnosis phase, I was having trouble even keeping my weight up. Admittedly though, during that time, I was under severe stress. My dog was killed, I was undergoing followup for my thyroid cancer, and the fact that I had unexplained anemia scared the crap out of me.

Once all my tests were completed, I have rapidly put on 10 lbs and am now trying to make sure that the iron is not interfering with my Synthroid.

Bottom line: Overall I think your doctor is spot on with what he is telling you.

Closed Thread