It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Is is possible to have normal iron levels and low ferritin and

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-27-2007, 04:54 AM   #1
    flowersx2
    (female)

flowersx2 HB User
    Is is possible to have normal iron levels and low ferritin and

and be considered iron deficient? All of my iron levels are within range (and in the middle of the range) but my ferritin is on the very bottom.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2007, 07:29 AM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: Is is possible to have normal iron levels and low ferritin and

Your iron stores which is (Ferritin) are depleted under 10 for most labs. That makes you iron depleted resulting in a low ferritin. What your body doesn't use goes into storage. If you continue to draw from this without replacing enough it then goes down over a period of time. It is the last number to go up and can take up to 1 yr to fill up.

Were you anemic? Do you know why your ferritin is low?
    FLFLOWERGIRL

Last edited by FLFLOWERGIRL; 07-27-2007 at 11:00 AM.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:35 AM   #3
    flowersx2
    (female)

flowersx2 HB User

I'm assuming it's from going off the pill after my second child was born. Many years ago (lol) before I went on the pill I had to take iron supplements because my cycle was so bad and now they are much much worse. I had been to several doctor's thinking I had a thyroid issue. I was experiencing hair loss, extreme fatigue, breathlessness, weight gain, muscle cramps etc. It was continuing to get worse over the past 3 years. Every time I had my thyroid checked the numbers came back fine and finally had a doc check my ferritin which was at the bottom of the range.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:42 AM   #4
    lizzy76
    Veteran
    (female)

lizzy76 HB User

From what you're saying all of your numbers are in range, just at the low end of the range. So technically that does not make iron deficiant... You are in the range and just fine. Out of range iron levels = iron deficient. Normal iron levels = not iron deficient. You mentioned your ferriten is at the low end of the range so it wouldn't hurt to take iron supplements each day to boost it up a bit.

Since you labs came back normal I would keep pursuing other reasons as to why you're feeling so crappy.

Last edited by lizzy76; 07-27-2007 at 10:42 AM.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:49 AM   #5
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Thank goodness for Ferritin tests! Yes, I have had that very thing happen to me but my HGB went down to 8.5 before I caught it. I got sick 6 months ago and they all told me I must take care of the blood loss. Which I found hard to believe it was my periods. They have been heavy all my life. I finally had the Endometrial Ablation in June. I was told that you can still have heavy periods for two months then get better or stop. I was lucky mine stopped. Every time my blood count would rise my period would come. I felt like that's all I was doing was having periods. Then I became afraid to have one. I would get so weak from them. Finally, I was told it would be a transfusion or ablation so I chose the ablation. I'm so glad that I did because I was checked out by my GYN and said all was fine on ultrasound. When she did the ablation found 7 polyps. She said this was the cause of my heavy bleeding. No, I disagree it was the cause of my hemorrhaging that I thought was normal for me. So we didn't know that until SX. This has worked well for me.

I get my ferritin and cbc on Tuesday. I pray that my numbers have started to respond better to supplements.

You need to get your ferritin between 50-70 mostly 70 and up to stop the hair loss and all the other fun symptoms. Good luck!
    FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 07-27-2007, 11:02 AM   #6
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lizzy-- you were right, I meant to say "depleted" iron stores not deficient. OOPS!

Old 07-27-2007, 12:09 PM   #7
    flowersx2
    (female)

flowersx2 HB User

FLFLOWERGIRL,

I am looking at have the ablation this fall. My gyn in TX (I'm now in GA) told me to have it done 4 years ago. How was it and how was recovery? It's outpatient right?

Old 07-27-2007, 12:52 PM   #8
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I complained years ago but was not told about this procedure. Just offered me the pill which I didn't want because of family history. I should have done something many years ago but really was ignorant to all this. Up until the last two years my CBC was normal. Who knows what my Ferritin really was. It was never checked.

The ablation was the balloon procedure where they heat it up and burn out the layer. I had palpitations after the SX. I can't take pain meds because I have a sensitive stomach. They told me that the mild cramping would be about 6 hrs. and then it would just go away. Well, my cramping was a little worse I suppose because of the polyps being removed. After about 6 hours I had to break down and take 2 advil. My heart just kept on racing. It wasn't anything unbearable but it was not a piece of cake. I finally went to sleep woke up at 3:00am and there was no pain just as they said, it just went away. I had mild bleeding afterwards for 2 days with clear discharge after a
    2-3 days. They want schedule right after a period so that the lining is thinned out for best results. I went in 2 days after mine. I missed my first period so I guess they are gone for now. At least until the lining builds up again. It is different for everyone.

My friend had been put on the pill to stop her periods before SX. Then she bled a lot more than I did. They even ended up putting her back on the pill to stop the bleeding. Now she found out that she will bleed again up to 10 days due to the pill. We had SX a day apart and she is still going through this, since 6/20. So, you see how different it can be. She took pain meds after and didn't have much cramping the day of SX. FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread