It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Slo Fe Causing Anal Pressure/Pain?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-27-2007, 02:44 PM   #1
    busymommy
    Inactive
    (female)

busymommy HB Userbusymommy HB Userbusymommy HB User
    Question Slo Fe Causing Anal Pressure/Pain?

Coincidentally, after beginning to take Slo Fe for one week, not only did I experience slight diarrhea (opposite of what was expected…constipation), but I started to experience this pressure/pain in the anal/rectal region. Weird but I was wondering if this could be because of the Slo Fe? I know it causes gastric issues, but this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2007, 03:11 PM   #2
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
    Re: Slo Fe Causing Anal Pressure/Pain?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by busymommy View Post
    Coincidentally, after beginning to take Slo Fe for one week, not only did I experience slight diarrhea (opposite of what was expected…constipation), but I started to experience this pressure/pain in the anal/rectal region. Weird but I was wondering if this could be because of the Slo Fe? I know it causes gastric issues, but this?

How often did you have the diarrhea? I have IBS and repeated diarrhea episodes will give me this exact feeling.

There is probably something in the binding ingredients (rather than the iron) that is causing this side effect for you. Iron is notorius for being constipating. If you are having an "opposite" reaction, it is most like the stuff that is making the Slow-FE slow!

Old 07-27-2007, 05:26 PM   #3
    busymommy
    Inactive
    (female)

busymommy HB Userbusymommy HB Userbusymommy HB User

I should have said more BM's than usual...two per day instead of one, but this pain down there is not usual. Geez...what next?

Old 07-29-2007, 01:59 PM   #4
    Merimac
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User

Anemia can cause Gastric upset and spasms if it is severe. The peripheral nerve endings in the area of the spine that make the bowels know what to do can be numbed out by a low blood count or low B-12 count and when you start to get the treatment you need you may have reaction spasms. The main thing to do is to contact your doctor if it is severe. Also going from one to two bowel movements per day could just be a slight increase in metabolism due to the iron and unless inconvenient is not a bad thing.

Closed Thread