It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Anemia Message Board

  • Long term Anemia

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 08-09-2007, 04:08 PM   #1
    glenni
    Member
    (female)
     
    glenni's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2007
    Location: usa
    Posts: 74
    glenni HB User
    Long term Anemia

    What is the worst thing that could happen?

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 08-09-2007, 08:44 PM   #2
    Shamrock
    Member
    (female)
     
    Shamrock's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2001
    Location: Massachusetts
    Posts: 94
    Shamrock HB User
    Re: Long term Anemia

    I was told by my hematologist that if the anemia is severe with very low hemoglobin in the 5's or 6's range that you can have a risk of congestive heart failure because the heart is taxed due to lack of oxygen. This is of course if the anemia is untreated.

     
    Old 08-10-2007, 11:55 AM   #3
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    Harry's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2000
    Location: Charleston
    Posts: 5,520
    Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Re: Long term Anemia

    glenni,

    Long term anemia is basically as you know --a low iron level in your body.

    Iron is important in the production of hemoglobin and myoglobin (the form of hemoglobin in muscle tissure) and oxygenation of red blood cells. It is essential for many enzymes in the body and required for a healthy immune system.

    All this really means is lack of iron can result in a pretty poor miserable daily life --- like extreme fatigue, difficult swallowing, digestive disorders, slow mental reaction, obesity, fragile bones, muscle weakness including the heart-- shortness of breath. All of your body's organs needs oxygen to function --- lack it will produce many problems. A poor immune system will result in you being susceptible to many illnesses, disorders and ailments.

    Harry

     
    Old 08-11-2007, 08:50 AM   #4
    help wanted :(
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    help wanted :('s Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2007
    Location: uk
    Posts: 275
    help wanted :( HB User
    Re: Long term Anemia

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    glenni,

    Long term anemia is basically as you know --a low iron level in your body.

    Iron is important in the production of hemoglobin and myoglobin (the form of hemoglobin in muscle tissure) and oxygenation of red blood cells. It is essential for many enzymes in the body and required for a healthy immune system.

    All this really means is lack of iron can result in a pretty poor miserable daily life --- like extreme fatigue, difficult swallowing, digestive disorders, slow mental reaction, obesity, fragile bones, muscle weakness including the heart-- shortness of breath. All of your body's organs needs oxygen to function --- lack it will produce many problems. A poor immune system will result in you being susceptible to many illnesses, disorders and ailments.

    Harry
    do you know what sort of digestive problems it can cause?

     
    Old 08-11-2007, 02:08 PM   #5
    icecruncher
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    icecruncher's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2007
    Location: great britain
    Posts: 4
    icecruncher HB User
    Unhappy Re: Long term Anemia

    I have had a low ferritin level for nearly a year now and am stuggling to get my levels up. Whats really concerning me is that one of my newest side effects is difficulty swallowing-anybody else heard of this? Ive done a bit of research and apparently iron deficiency can be the cause and its called plummer vinson syndrome. I would really like any feedback from anybody who knows about this symdrome or is suffering from it. I havent been to the doctor yet but have had this problem for about 4 weeks. Its not like a sore throat its located more on one side of my windpipe and very painful. Thanks for reading.

     
    Old 09-04-2007, 04:52 AM   #6
    glenni
    Member
    (female)
     
    glenni's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2007
    Location: usa
    Posts: 74
    glenni HB User
    Re: Long term Anemia

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icecruncher View Post
    I have had a low ferritin level for nearly a year now and am stuggling to get my levels up. Whats really concerning me is that one of my newest side effects is difficulty swallowing-anybody else heard of this? Ive done a bit of research and apparently iron deficiency can be the cause and its called plummer vinson syndrome. I would really like any feedback from anybody who knows about this symdrome or is suffering from it. I havent been to the doctor yet but have had this problem for about 4 weeks. Its not like a sore throat its located more on one side of my windpipe and very painful. Thanks for reading.
    No, I have no problem swallowing. I had a blood test three years ago that said I was borderline anemic. I couldn't take supplements or eat food with iron because of severe symptoms and chest pains. I also get tremendous pressure in my legs when I eat other vitamins (certain ones). Now I sleep 12 hours a day and have even more chest pains. I'm not sure if I can start eating iron rich foods though.

    Thank you for your replies.

    Last edited by glenni; 09-21-2007 at 09:29 AM.

     
    Old 09-04-2007, 11:09 AM   #7
    notorious b
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    notorious b's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2003
    Location: Austin, TX
    Posts: 145
    notorious b HB User
    Re: Long term Anemia

    Well, what would you consider "long term"? I've been dealing with low ferritin since January, which I would assume is not long term, but how long can you have low ferritin before suffering some of the extreme side effects?

    My story - January: Ferrin was 3, March: 5, June: 4.

    I'm going back in 3 weeks to get tested again, but I don't know if the results will be much better.

     
    Old 09-06-2007, 04:47 AM   #8
    glenni
    Member
    (female)
     
    glenni's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2007
    Location: usa
    Posts: 74
    glenni HB User
    Re: Long term Anemia

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by notorious b View Post
    Well, what would you consider "long term"? I've been dealing with low ferritin since January, which I would assume is not long term, but how long can you have low ferritin before suffering some of the extreme side effects?

    My story - January: Ferrin was 3, March: 5, June: 4.

    I'm going back in 3 weeks to get tested again, but I don't know if the results will be much better.
    I was referring to 3 years+, but I do not have any numbers (iron levels) for you.

     
    Old 09-06-2007, 06:33 AM   #9
    lemieux1973
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    lemieux1973's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2007
    Location: United States
    Posts: 5
    lemieux1973 HB User
    Re: Long term Anemia

    ICECRUNCHER!!

    Yeah, I know what you are talking about. I have it as well and it makes it especially hard to swallow your pills or eat anything dry. Have you seen a GI
    doc? If not, go see one. You might have a hiatal hernia as well
    D

    Last edited by lemieux1973; 09-06-2007 at 06:34 AM.

     
    Old 09-06-2007, 07:38 AM   #10
    glenni
    Member
    (female)
     
    glenni's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2007
    Location: usa
    Posts: 74
    glenni HB User
    Re: Long term Anemia

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    glenni,

    Long term anemia is basically as you know --a low iron level in your body.

    Iron is important in the production of hemoglobin and myoglobin (the form of hemoglobin in muscle tissure) and oxygenation of red blood cells. It is essential for many enzymes in the body and required for a healthy immune system.

    All this really means is lack of iron can result in a pretty poor miserable daily life --- like extreme fatigue, difficult swallowing, digestive disorders, slow mental reaction, obesity, fragile bones, muscle weakness including the heart-- shortness of breath. All of your body's organs needs oxygen to function --- lack it will produce many problems. A poor immune system will result in you being susceptible to many illnesses, disorders and ailments.

    Harry
    Thanks, Harry. This is exactly what I was asking.

     
    Old 09-06-2007, 05:59 PM   #11
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Audrey-B's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2003
    Location: Australia
    Posts: 3,968
    Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
    Re: Long term Anemia

    I believe mine had occured over roughly a 6 yr period. The dr i was seeing at the time didn't seem to care about ferretin levels or anything much off my blood tests. He kept telling me everything was fine. I think he believe that if anything and everything was "within range" then you were ok. Sheesh, i could be a dr if that is the only knowledge required to read test results!!

    In april 2006 i went to a new dr for something totally unrelated and on the blood test it came up as an 8 for my ferretin. The way this dr reacted i thought she was going to tell me i had cancer or something.

    It wasn't until i visited a Trichologist (hair/scalp specialist) regarding my constant hair shedding over the last 6yrs and after he checked my old test results and ran some new ones he determine the hair shedding was due to constant low ferretin.

    Just by looking at me he asked whether i had always had such large eyes. I thought he was referring to my actually eyes as i did have large eyes, but he was referring to the outer and inner eye area. Apparently the eye area can swell and eyes can even look as though they are protruding outwards, rather than just sitting within the socket. For a few years i had felt as though my eyes were swollen and they would feel tired and i would put it down to looking at a computer most of the day. I was to find out that this was related to the thyroid. When i went later to get iron injections, the nurse at the clinic asked me also whether i had a thyroid condition without seeing any results.

    Now that i've had my course of iron injections my eyes no longer feel swollen, i dont get a burning feeling in my eyes when i close them and i no longer feel that severe lack of motivation and tiredness that i used to feel. Definitely have more get up and go than i can remember having before.

    So i suppose i could say that my low iron levels over 6yrs caused the usual tiredness, lack of motivation, hair thinning uniformly all over (there is constant regrowth, but doesnt last the distance), thyroid related problems, burning/swollen feeling around eyes.

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Methotrexate vs plaquenil side effects long term and short term mysteria Arthritis 4 11-17-2009 11:25 AM
    Short and Long Term Effects of Anemia ana63 Anemia 1 04-06-2009 11:57 AM
    How long did the results of your Iron IV last? hannahhannah57 Anemia 1 10-13-2008 05:24 PM
    Intro/Frustration/Long (sorry) ajillity Anemia 7 06-06-2008 04:48 AM
    A long story but real!! patty62 Thyroid Disorders 12 07-11-2007 09:47 AM
    How long ???? Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia lpears123 Blood and Blood Vessel 112 12-23-2005 09:17 PM
    Any health effects with long term use of Nexium? Lady50 Acid Reflux / GERD 56 05-22-2005 06:40 AM
    Any Long-Term Effects From Anemia robste Anemia 2 12-11-2003 06:07 AM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:15 PM.





    © 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!