It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Does anyone have low white blood cell levels too? (along with anemia)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-29-2007, 09:55 PM   #1
    chandrar
    (female)

chandrar HB User
    Does anyone have low white blood cell levels too? (along with anemia)

Hi,

My doctor has been following my blood work for a few months, based on symptoms I was having that were suspicious (hair loss, lightheadness, fatigue, ice cravings -the fatigue was manifesting into frustration, short temper and moodiness with my kids). I am taking 325 mg supplement every night, with Vitamin C and B complex. I am feeling somewhat better, a little more energy, but still not totally myself yet.

He is sending me to a hemotologist because he is stumped as to why my WBC is lowered as well. here are my latest #'s that are out of the normal range:

WBC 3.5 (4.2-10.8 reference)
    HGB 11.7 (12.0-16.0)
    RDW 17.8 (11.5-14.5)
    MPV: 6.9 (7.4-10.4)

My Ferritin came up from a 4 in June to a 15 after a month of iron supplementation

Can anyone help me interpret this while I wait a month to get in with the hemo dr.?

I am also having achiness in my arms and legs after I exercise, but I am running and lifting weights, which I am very happy I am able to do!

I had pneumonia in the spring, and I think he thinks this is leftover rebound from being ill. I am 34 years old and otherwise in great health, so this is all really confusing to me.

TIA!

Chandra

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2007, 04:08 AM   #2
    miyu
    Veteran
    (female)

miyu HB Usermiyu HB User
    Re: Does anyone have low white blood cell levels too? (along with anemia)

no post, so I thougth I would mkae one.

the only thing I can think of is trying a diet change, or some dtox. if you are run down, so your immunesystem will be.

and it really sounds like you are lacking vitiamins. and that is what is causeing the pain in the body, as well as well.

do you ever get Restless leg at night? that would be a CLEAR sign it is viti's and minerals.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:46 AM   #3
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

This same thing happened to my friend. They think that the lowered WBC is due to an infection that she might have had. The Hematologist was not worried about it at this point, but watching.

In addition to your labs, did your doctor run a B-12 and Folate test on you? They didn't do this for my friend in the beginning, she saw another, they ran these and she was IDA and B-12 at the same time. This is common. Hope you had this test.

At least your Ferritin is responding to supplements and on the rise, that is good. What WERE your numbers when you were initially tested, it gives a better picture? Anemia is defined by RBC,(Hgb,Hct) being under values. What do you mean by MPV, I don't know?

I would not think that weight lifting and running, such extreme demand on the body will help you right now. Moderation is best, you need to give yourself time to heal. Good luck! FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 08-30-2007, 03:05 PM   #4
    lizzy76
    Veteran
    (female)

lizzy76 HB User

I hope you are starting to feel better. Your numbers really do not look that bad at all. Your hgb is just barely out of range and the ranges differ from lab to lab and if you were being tested by the lab my doc uses you would actually be considered in range for your hgb.

As far as the white blood cells go, they fluctuate daily and yours are not that far out of range at all. While I was dealing with anemia my white blood cells would come back low at times as well but my doctor was not too concerned about it. So many things can affect wbc and as long as you are not below 3 or way above the range you are basically ok. I wouldn't worry about things...

Old 08-30-2007, 10:32 PM   #5
    chandrar
    (female)

chandrar HB User

Thanks for the replies!

They did not do a B12 test on me.

The WBC came up from my tests in June, I believe it has gone from 2.9 to 3.3 to 3.5 on the most recent one, which is better but still low over a period of a couple of months.

The HGB went down, but only slightly, from 11.9 to 11.7, my dr. said that is not a significant change, he just doesn't know why it's low still.

From what I have red, the MPV is the size of the platlets, so while my # of them is normal (258) the size is small. I have no idea what, if anything, this means.

My HCT is normal - 34.1 (range is 34-45).

The RDW has something (I think) to do with the consistency of the size of the cells, the high number means that they are less uniform....?

Do you think it is too taxing on my body to work out heavily? I kind of wondered if this is why I am having these troubles, that I am pushing too hard. it's just hard to accept that I have to scale back, I feel like I should just be able to push through it and I will feel better eventually. I was working out on the day that I went to the doctor and he found the pneumonia, I knew I was too winded, but I was lifting weights and doing cardio pretty intensely. I have a hard time just taking it easy exercitse wise, but maybe I need to.

Well, thanks again for helping me out!

Chandra

Old 08-30-2007, 10:35 PM   #6
    chandrar
    (female)

chandrar HB User

One more thing, I am a vegetarian and have been my whole life. i have always eaten a lot of eggs (we raised chickens at one point and ate eggs every day!) as well as dairy and cheese (I know there is no iron there, though). just wondering if this could be the reason why this is happening, although it's not been a recent change.

Could working out and building muscle while being a vegetarian result in anemia?

Old 08-31-2007, 12:25 PM   #7
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Hello--From going back over your post I would recommend getting that B-12 test. Taking a good Multi-Vit along with your iron supplements. You need lots of rest, not lots of exercise. However, I would continue a program to some extent. Runners and Vegs. frequently become anemic. This could be part of your problem of not feeling well and anemia. Plus if you do this it is much much harder for your body to heal. This takes time. And the WBC is probably from your illness, just keep an eye on it. The Hematologist will know.
    I also take my iron in the morning it helps to have more energy throughout the day. If you don't use it all up through exercise, LOL.Good luck. FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread