It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Ferrous Fumarate or Gluconate

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-02-2007, 03:48 PM   #1
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User
    Ferrous Fumarate or Gluconate

Hi folks- Back in March the doc wanted to get my ferritin level up. It was at 38 not so low as some here for sure. Anyway between slow fe and regular release I moved up to 47. But I don't want to eat meat or eat fortifed cereals- so I am thinking maybe I should first get the ferritin retested. I haven't taken ferrous sulfate for about 6wks. now. If I am going lower I am thinking of a low 18mg dose. I have read that ferrous gluconate is more easily tolerated. But I recall reading here either ferrous gluconate or ferrous fumarate was bothering people. Any opinions out there on the gluconate or fumarate??
    I did have an endoscopy- no prob. I am going to have my colonoscopy this fall YUCK!!!!I don't want to drink the fleet's prep- others here have said it is hideous. My doc did not offer osmo prep that some wrote about here as being ok. I think the fleets would make me gag and vomit it up from what I have read here. Maybe that's another thread. Anyway I will ask the doc about osmo prep and might even consider another doc if he won't allow it.I still think the moderately low ferritin is dietary but I guess I need this checked out. I am 54 and am told it's a good idea anyway at my age.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2007, 04:47 AM   #2
    Nyxie63
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User
    Re: Ferrous Fumarate or Gluconate

Dunno about the gluconate, but I'm currently taking ferrous bisglycinate, so-called "easy iron". Like the ferrous succinate I was taking, it still causes gastro symptoms so I'm looking for something else too.

I keep forgetting to call the dr and asking about the OsmoPrep. I'm leaving for a show tomorrow morning and will be getting the endoscopy and colonoscopy on the 12th, 3 days after I get back. Ack! Really need to get on this. Will let you know how it goes.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:26 AM   #3
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

I am taking Ferrous Fumerate in the form of a Flinstone's Vitamin. Each Flintstone's vitamin has 18 mg of Ferrous Fumerate in it, so two a day is giving me 36 mg. I doesn't bother my stomach AT ALL and I have an extremely sensitive stomach. So give it a try!!!

As for the colonoscopy--any doctor that is still solely using Fleet's is in the dark ages. Not thinking of patient comfort. That stuff is NASTY.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:12 AM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Osteoblast--I have ~read~heme, meat source, Ferrous types, of iron, are far more effectively absorbed.

Ferrous Gluconate and Ferrous Fumerate were rated as good choices but Ferrous Fumarate had the highest absorbent rate, 3X that of F-Sulfate.

I take a prenatal vitamin and get 28 mg of Ferrous Fumerate, this is in 2 pills a day, if I separate them I don't feel it. If I take two together, it bothers me. I would also give the Ferrous Fumerate a try.

I finally got my Ferritin to #20 as of last week! I'm so pleased. I went from
    9-20 in 4 weeks, I guess because my Hgb is normal now. I also take Poly Iron 150 X2. I hope I don't rust!

Everything that you said about the Fleet Prep is CORRECT! Especially if you are sensitive. Good luck with your iron. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 09-03-2007, 01:46 PM   #5
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Thanks for the responses
    Nyxie-I will let you know about the gluconate or fumarate. No decision yet on which one.
    Good luck with your colonoscopy , let us know how it goes. I am hoping that you tell me you had no problem- both for you and to give me a bit of courage.I feel like I weaseled out of my scheduled colonoscopy out of fear, although I was really down with the flu or something. This scares me alot! I'll be sure to check back after the 12th to see how you did. Again, good luck!!!!!

Christine--that's funny about the flintstones vits. I am glad to hear you are having no problem with the fumarate and 36 mg a day. All that I am thinking about is the 18 so that is good to hear.
    Interesting what you say about a doc solely using fleet's is in dark ages. I didn't like him so much either. Could you ever like a doc who would do a colonoscopy? I wonder??? But, I guess some would be worse than others. It wouldn't take much for me to want to go to another doc. So, I need to check on what this one would allow. The doc who did my endoscopy was ok , I had no discomfort at all. If he would allow the osmo prep then I think I would go back there. I just know I will go into a big gag reflex thing with drinking the yucky stuff.
    Was it the osmo prep that you took? Have you tried the various preps??

FLFlowergirl-Congrats on getting your ferritin to move from9 to 20 in 4 wks that is quite a bit.Are you pregrant or just taking the prenatals out of choice?
    What is polyiron? I haven't heard of that. Were you taking the polyiron and the fumerate at the same time to get the results that you did, I am not clear on that from what you wrote.
    Ok so you too say that fleet's is the height of disgusting. Are you too saying the osmo prep is the way to go??
    I appreciate the help on this board!

Old 09-03-2007, 04:21 PM   #6
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteo--let me tell you, I LOVE my colonoscopy doctor (gastroenterologist). He is just the sweetest guy and he reads me so well--knows I have lots of anxiety and really tries to spend a lot of time with me.

He uses three different types of preps--two of them are the liquid--either Go-Lytely or Tri-Lytely. Then he uses OsmoPrep. He recommends OsmoPrep for people like me who have acid reflux or who get nauseous with lots of liquids. He also says that about 85% of his patients use OsmoPrep now. There are some people who have extremely high blood pressure who cannot use it. My co-worker also used this doctor and he used the OsmoPrep. He did have to quit taking his Blood Pressure meds for three days though but that was no big deal. Apparently taking all that stuff can give you an electrolyte imbalance if you take BP meds.

Personally, I think the OsmoPrep is the way to go. I have not tried the other though. A good friend of mine had colon cancer a few years ago (at age 45!!). She has to have a yearly colonscopy and has done every prep out there (including the Fleets which she vomited). She tried the OsmoPrep on her last colonoscopy and LOVES it know and won't ever do the others. So, to me, she is my expert opinion!

Old 09-04-2007, 02:14 AM   #7
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

After nearly having to quit taking my iron supplement due to extreme side effects, my doctor then got me taking organic iron tablets along with the powdered supplement i was originally taking and this new addition stopped my upset stomach and irritable bowel symptoms. I must ask him again why the organic tablets are better over the nonorganic, apart from the obvious reasons!! In the end my ferretin levels where not moving up anyway, but was good to discover something which kept my stomach settled.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:41 AM   #8
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

osteoblast--
    Q.: Are you pregrant or just taking the prenatals out of choice?

A.: No, not preg. my sister had GB SX and my cousin, they insist that I take these. My Hematologist said to get on a good vitamin with my iron supplements.

Q.: What is polyiron? I haven't heard of that.

A.: PolyIron 150 is a (polysaccharide iron complex) This is the generic name, PIC. My GI doc gave it to me 150 X2. You also (don't) have to take C with it. The Ferrous Sulfate made me burn up to my throat. This doesn't give any S/E other than a little IBS IF I eat TOO much veg at one meal. I have learned to balance meals with carbs to avoid this problem. Very easy to take, it really works. I think all high doses of iron cause problems to some extent. Mine is a RX but it is also OTC, under Generic name or Nu Iron 150 or just ask for it.

Q.: Were you taking the polyiron and the fumerate at the same time to get the results that you did, I am not clear on that from what you wrote.

A.: Yes, I AM on BOTH. Have only been on PerNats for 2 mo's. Before that I was on a Mulit-Vit (cheap) 1 mo. not alot of good stuff in it. I noticed a great difference with prenats. At first they bothered me, I took 2 at a time then and had to seperate the dose. One at a time feels fine X2 daily.

I believe that I got these results because I was finally able to get my Hgb up to the chart. I took 1X and my blood would drop weekly. When I was able to take Poly iron 2X a day on an empty stomach, my Hgb would climb 2 points each month. Then it finally started going to storage. I don't think it had much to do with the vitamin. It helps to build healthy blood cells I was told. It may have helped I really couldn't tell on this one since it is my first time for my Ferritin to go up. Also, I must add that I had an Ablation in June. BUT I think it is the amount of iron because in the beginning I took 2X and it went up 2 points per mo. with periods!

Q.: Ok so you too say that fleet's is the height of disgusting. Are you too saying the osmo prep is the way to go??

A.: I threw up half the second day. I would give ANYTHING else a try before Fleet Prep. I would try the OSMO Prep. if possible.
    Good Luck! FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 09-04-2007, 03:39 PM   #9
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Flowergirl -Thank you so much for all the great information. I really appreciate it. Based on everything that has been said here , I called the gastroenterologist today and his nurse is checking if the osmo prep will be ok.
    If it's not , maybe I find another gastro to do the colonoscopy.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:16 PM   #10
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Christine- so glad you really like your gastroenterologist. Thank you for all the great info regarding preps. Just to understand correctly what I should ask for-- could you clarify about the osmoprep. Did you mean to say I just ask for the osmo prep or does it need to be used along with one of the others you mentioned the go lytely or the tri lytely. I am not on any bp meds although I am pretty stressed out about all the medical stuff I have gone through this past year.

Now that I am getting such great information on the prep and feeling like I could approach this whole ordeal, could I ask 2 more questions???
    First, once you have taken the osmoprep, is the night before and morning sheer hell? Does it feel like you are going to die? I know this sounds dramatic , but I am quite worried about it .

Second, when you go in for the procedure is it really embarrassing when they start to prep you?

I had an endoscopy and it was definitely no big deal. But the colonoscopy is scaring me. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:04 AM   #11
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Osteoblast--I understand your concerns. Believe me, I was freaked out too!

For the OsmoPrep, this is all you take. Generally, you will start at 5:00 p.m. on the evening prior to the test.

You will swallow 4 tablets with 8 oz of Gatorade. At 5:15 you will swallow 4 tablets with 8 oz of Gatorade. You will do the same at 5:30, 5:45, and 6:00 p.m. This totals 20 tablets and 40 oz of Gatorade. My doctor had me drink one can of Ginger Ale after the finish of the 20 tablets. My friend's doctor didn't make her do that though.

That's all you do for that evening. By 5:45 p.m., I had a small urge to "go" and a little bit of stuff happened. I had to use the bathroom every 20 minutes until about 11:00 p.m. and then it slacked off to about every 45 minutes to an hour so I did get to doze off here and there. I did get very thirsty in the middle of the night and drank a lot of water. The pills will make you thirsty.

I had NO cramping at all. None. Just a mild urge to get in the bathroom. My friends who have used Fleets and some of the liquid preps say that they had hard cramps for a period of time. The three of us that have used OsmoPrep had no cramping. I think it is very gentle.

Depending on you time of your test, depends when you start the tablets in the morning. I had to start at 5:00 a.m. for an 8:30 procedure. I had to take three more doses of the 4 pills (total of 12 pills in the morning). You will get some slight "urges" after that. These last pills just clean out whatever might be left.

I had no problem making it to the hospital for my test. It was even 30 minutes away and in the middle of a snowstorm (so my 30 minute ride took 45 mins). Of course, I had to "go" when I got there, but no big deal.

As for getting ready for the test, they started my drugs when I got in the testing room. When they felt I was going under, my doctor asked me to turn on my side. He then told me he was lifting my robe and then I remember not much else. Really no worse than a GYN appointment. You will be "out" before you can get embarrassed.

One tip--buy some Tucks, Charmin Wipes (they are flushable) and very good toilet paper. Use the Tucks and Wipes from the very beginning or you will be raw. Even with all that, I was somewhat irritated the next morning.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:19 AM   #12
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

ChristineVA- I cannot thank you enough for giving me the complete minute by minute on the procedure.It sure will be easier to approach with the experience that you shared. I've got to find a way to print out your response. My dh will help.
    It was an incredible relief to hear how it was for you. I dreaded so much about the fleet's and it appears rightly so.
    Well, from what you say the osmoprep should allow me to avoid the gagging and vomiting as well as cramping.
    Your detail really helps , so I kind of know how the night before and morning go. And, the advice regarding tucks and charmin wipes is great.
    Did you get this kind of detailed info from your doc before your procedure??
    Christine- did everything turn out ok for you? Did the procedure identify why you have a problem with anemia?
    You really helped me approach something alot easier, your comments take a huge amount of fear and dread out of the picture. And, allow me to call and finally get the date scheduled. It looks like my time to arrive at the clinic is 7:50am and we have a drive of about an hour. Perhaps we can talk more detail on timing once it is settled. I don't want to have an unfortunate incident in the car on the interstate. Yikes! By the time I leave home I have got to be complete with it all , if that is possible.I hope so.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:32 AM   #13
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Did you get this kind of detailed info from your doc before your procedure??

No, I didn't get it from him, but I have so many friends that have done the colonoscopy many times and they were full of tips that I paid attention to.

Christine- did everything turn out ok for you? Did the procedure identify why you have a problem with anemia?

Well, my colon was fine. They found one small, non-cancerous polyp which was removed. The better story was my upper endoscopy which was done at the same time. They found gastritis, fresh bleeding, and stomach polyps. My GI insists, though, that the stomach bleeding was not the *cause* of my anemia, but probably didn't help it at all. He chalked the stomach bleeding up to too much NSAIDS use. There is no other reason for it. I have no ulcers and no H. Pylori.

You really helped me approach something alot easier, your comments take a huge amount of fear and dread out of the picture. And, allow me to call and finally get the date scheduled. It looks like my time to arrive at the clinic is 7:50am and we have a drive of about an hour. Perhaps we can talk more detail on timing once it is settled. I don't want to have an unfortunate incident in the car on the interstate. Yikes! By the time I leave home I have got to be complete with it all , if that is possible.I hope so.

Glad I could help. Anything to make it easier on someone else. You will be fine getting to the hospital. Just to calm my nerves, I did take a bucket with me. And some toilet paper. But I didn't need it. I did have some minor "pressure" during the drive, but honestly, it was NOTHING. My friend also has about a 45-60 minute drive to her procedure and she's never had an accident. I think the docs have it all down to a science.

Oh, and as for printing/saving what I've wrote, just highlight the text with your cursor/mouse, then right click and a window will pop up. Click on "copy." Once you do that, it will be stored. Then go and open Word (or whatever Word Processing program you use) and put your cursor on the blank page. Right click your mouse again and then click on copy. All the text you highlighted should copy into the page.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:40 AM   #14
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Christine-Thanks once again for giving me the courage to go forward with the colonoscopy. I am still waiting for the call back from the docs nurse to let me know if he will say the osmo prep is ok. The nurse thought it would be ok. She said two other patients recently did the osmo prep. Now that is not alot. I live in the greater Seattle area, and this is one of the top gastroenterologists. Isn't that strange that osmo prep is just not used much here, compared to your area?
    So now that you have kindly given me the story from the first pill to the moment where the doc says "I will now lift your gown", would you pick up the narrative from that moment and finish perhaps the next day?? That would help. I am wondering do you hurt, are you groggy, do you have the urge right after the procedure? How is the drive home--are you dizzy , woozy, possibly going to get sick to your stomach, have to make a quick exit off the interstate for a bathroom? When you get home, do you feel you need to go to bed? Are you super hungry? Are you still having the urges that day and into the next? When do your bathroom habits resume their normal routine? I know of course these are your experiences and mine could vary , but having this picture is of more help than you can imagine. I am glad to hear that you too were freaked out about the upcoming colonoscopy,because that puts us in the same state of mind. Although as I have said, you have really reduced my anxiety .
    I wish the docs would give such a description as you provided. I think more people who need to have the procedure would then go forward.

Were you able to heal your stomach lining by discontinuing the NSAIDs? Do you think the NSAIDs are just nasty and should not be used?
    Because of the one noncancerous polyp you had removed during the colonoscopy, did the doc say you have to re do a colonoscopy soon?
    I hope that you are doing OK. Christine, did you get your ferritin up to a level that you are happy with? What are you taking now for your supplement?
    What is your understanding of a good ferritin level?

Old 09-06-2007, 10:15 AM   #15
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

So now that you have kindly given me the story from the first pill to the moment where the doc says "I will now lift your gown", would you pick up the narrative from that moment and finish perhaps the next day??

I'm not sure I should tell this part of story. It is not good, but you asked... Please remember that I am my doctor's most "unique" patient. My experience, according to him, has never happened in all his years of practice.

First off, I think I said that I had gone to have my colonoscopy during a snowstorm. You see, I had done my entire prep and then the facility where I was to have the colonoscopy called me at 5:00 a.m. and cancelled my procedure. I was LIVID. I called my doctor THAT early in the morning. He called me right back and had me moved to another hospital he works at that was open. When I got there, they were understaffed. Also, this particular hospital does not use an anesthesiologist but used "doctor administrated" sedation. So instead of having regular, good anesthesia, I was given Demerol and Versed. I was supposed to have Propofol and Versed at the other place. The nurses couldn't get the IV in me and I got really nervous. When they took me in the room and drugged me, I would not go "under". I was drowsy and happy and I didn't care, but I did not go under. I woke up several times during my colonoscopy (but I didn't care). I don't remember any of the upper GI so the drugs must have finally kicked in.

When I awoke I was very drugged. My doctor came and told me that he's never had to use that much Demerol on a patient and that during my procedure my heart rate was in the 160s. They have tried to push it off as anxiety but I'm not buying it as I felt perfectly relaxed. I think I had a reaction to the Demerol.

Anyway, shortly after I got very sick and vomited in the recovery area. They were still trying to get me to leave. They sent me home with a plastic bag and I did vomit in the car.

When I got home I could not eat and still vomited a few times that night.

It took me DAYS to get better but it was the drugs. Please don't let this scare you off. It is a very rare experience and my doctor told me he would never use Demerol on me again.

I did not hurt anywhere and I no longer had the urge to go to the bathroom. It was totally gone. When I got home I went right to bed as most people do. Most people go to bed for 3-4 hours, I stayed there for a day or so because of the drugs.

When do your bathroom habits resume their normal routine?

I think it was about a week before things seemed "normal." I did go, it just didn't seem the normal consistancy. It did not hurt or anything.

Were you able to heal your stomach lining by discontinuing the NSAIDs? Do you think the NSAIDs are just nasty and should not be used?

Truly, I don't know if my stomach is healed. My GI didn't think it was necessary to do a recheck. I have discontinued NSAIDS. I was taking Motrin a few times a month for headaches and then during the menstrual cycle (lots). I had not taken Motrin for 6 weeks prior to the upper GI and the doctor was perplexed by the blood, but he could come up with no other explanation for it.

Because of the one noncancerous polyp you had removed during the colonoscopy, did the doc say you have to re do a colonoscopy soon?

Nope, it was the totally benign type and I don't have to go back for 10 years. There are other benign polyps that are more suspicious--if you have one of those they will have you come back in 2-3 years.

I hope that you are doing OK. Christine, did you get your ferritin up to a level that you are happy with? What are you taking now for your supplement?
    What is your understanding of a good ferritin level
    ?

I last had a ferritin done in June and it was at 12 (up from 5). I had been using Spatone and Flinstones vitamins. I am no longer using the Spatone but just Flintstones. Because I am on a low dose of iron, my doctor wanted me to wait until November for a recheck. He didn't feel it would come up much if I went back too soon. So, I really don't know where I stand these days!

Closed Thread