It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• chronic anemia and iron infusions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-08-2007, 02:08 PM   #1
    kitty5518
    (female)

kitty5518 HB User
    chronic anemia and iron infusions

I have been reading some of the comments today on anemia and iron infusions and can't believe what I seeing. I hope everyone who has severe anemia is seeing a hematologist/oncologist. I have had iron dextran, which takes at least five hours to infuse. They should give a test dose to you the first time and wait an hour before giving the full dosage. They will probably give you benedryl and saline first before test dosage. Most often they will give you a steriod with iron dextran. I have never had a real bad reaction to the iron dextran but the steriods did make me have red face and chest for about twenty four hours. Due to the fact that I was having treatments quite often I ask the doctor if I could have Venofer. Yes, was the answer and so for several years I have been having Venofer. No side effects, takes about half an hour to get. I am now getting five weeks of Venofer. They give me 200 mg of Venofer each week. To all who read this I hope it helps as I am a new member of the message board. kitty5518

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2007, 04:00 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: chronic anemia and iron infusions

Hello Kitty5518-- Welcome to the boards! Glad to read that you are getting the iron that you need. I'm one of those that didn't end of with the IV and I think, considering my overall health at the time, that my body couldn't have handled it. I am grateful that there are such treatments if needed. We are fortunate to have such resources. The majority of doctors want you to get iron through supplements first, if at all possible. It IS a really hard way to go and even harder for others. Sometimes I just wish I could go fill up my storage and just get it over with. I'm too scared if you want to know the truth. At this point my doctor a Hematologist wouldn't give it to me anyway. My Ferritin is now a 20 and I'm going up as fast as I can get there.

Sorry to hear that you have to deal with this as a chronic problem. FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread