It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Symptoms of Loww ferritin????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-14-2007, 04:06 AM   #1
    jasmin_a
    (female)

jasmin_a HB User
    Question Symptoms of Loww ferritin????

what are the symptoms and causes of low ferritin?
    Looking for answers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2007, 10:14 AM   #2
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User
    Re: Symptoms of Loww ferritin????

I think for such a big general question, you just might do better searching on the net for low ferritin. You should find alot of info there. The effects are felt throughout the body and may include mental confusion, weakness,poor hair quality, etc.Also causes are various and may include poor diet, internal bleeding etc.

Last edited by osteoblast; 09-14-2007 at 10:16 AM.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:58 PM   #3
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

You do need to do a specific search on this one. It's too vast and complicated. I think that it is really hard to distinguish the difference between anemia and low ferritin symptoms. I know for me my symptoms are RLS and hair shedding badly at lowest ferritin point and still have fatigue after exercise of any kind. Happy searching. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 09-15-2007, 06:14 PM   #4
    Merimac
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasmin_a View Post
    what are the symptoms and causes of low ferritin?
    Looking for answers.
    There are no physical symptoms of low ferritin. However low ferritin can lead to anemia and those general symptoms are fatigue, cold skin, pale for your normal skin color, black under eyes like makeup almost, cravings for starch or non-food items, difficulty in balance, loss of appetite generally. There are more but the ones I quoted seem to be universal to anemia.

Old 09-16-2007, 05:21 AM   #5
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Merimac View Post
    There are no physical symptoms of low ferritin. However low ferritin can lead to anemia and those general symptoms are fatigue, cold skin, pale for your normal skin color, black under eyes like makeup almost, cravings for starch or non-food items, difficulty in balance, loss of appetite generally. There are more but the ones I quoted seem to be universal to anemia.
    There is some information out there that indicates that very low ferritin (without anemia present) can cause symptoms. But is is variable and not yet widely accept by the medical community in the U.S. Of the material that I have read, it seems that countries like the U.K., Australia, etc. are more open to the suggestions that iron deficiency without anemia (low ferritin) can impact general well-being. I think there were studies done to show that female athletes did not perform as well with a low ferritin.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:30 AM   #6
    Nyxie63
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

I have low ferritin, but have never been anemic. I've noticed, since taking iron supplements, I have more energy, concentration has increased somewhat, and I feel better overall. Added bonus, no weekly headaches. This was particularly severe during my periods and I haven't had the usual hormonal headaches since starting the iron supplements.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:19 AM   #7
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

My body is NOT the same with a low Ferritin, and I DO feel SYMPTOMS. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 09-16-2007, 12:14 PM   #8
    lindsalou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lindsalou HB User

I suffer from the same syptoms when my ferritin is low (when it drops to about 2) as i do when i actually become classed as 'anaemic', when my hb drops. My heamatologist puts me on infusions when my ferritin is very low, regardless of my hb levels. All countries must differ, but here in the uk it is widely recognised that low ferritin does cause symtoms, my hair fell out just because of low ferritin, i wasnt anaemic at that time!
    Anyone who doesnt suffer the effects of low ferritin are lucky in my opinion.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:38 PM   #9
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I too wasn't classed as actually being anemic as everything was ok on my blood test apart from the ferretin which was at 8 when we caught it from dropping lower, but it was enough to cause abnormal hair shedding, tiredness, lack of motivation, feeling down/depressed more frequently, dark around the eyes, swelling/puffiness around the eyes, tired/burning eyes, i was hungry all the time though.

Having said that, i cannot say that ALL those symptoms are as a result of simply low ferretin due to the fact that people who have been low in ferretin for a lengthy period of time can end up with their thyroid progressively moving from good to bad. Thyroid can cause hair shedding as well as the tiredness, among other things.

My thyroid didnt get so bad that i needed meds but was bad enough for my doctor to want to step up my ferretin intake to restabilise my thyroid. I have been told by a few medical people who saw me and knew i had a ferretin issue whether i had a thyroid issue too as the puffyness around my eyes looked like it was thyroid related.

Since boosting my ferretin via injections all of the symptoms i have listed have either gone or lessened. My next lot of tests will show how my ferretin and thyroid are doing. If my thyroid has improved i will not know whether the symptoms were solely related to the ferretin or ferretin/thyroid combined. This is why you can't simply focus on low ferretin without your doctor running tests for other things which can cause similar symptoms.

If your low ferretin isn't as a result of something obvious like extremely heavy periods or diet related then it's advisable to find out why this is happening.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:51 AM   #10
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Audrey-B View Post
    dark around the eyes, swelling/puffiness around the eyes, tired/burning eyes,
    Audrey--I too have this look and I know that it is the typical "Hypo" look. But, what I don't understand about it is, I am being treated with synthroid and my number is within range 3.? Before I was treated I didn't look like this at a 6-9. Now I am treated and watch the numbers closely due to my iron intake. So, is this really thyroid or Ferritin? Does anyone else look like this with only a low Ferritin? Or is it left over from my anemia? You were not anemic though. I've asked the doctors and they say I don't know why. My Hematologist said that it was just a shadow, OMG! I just want to stop looking ill. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I see my ~wonderful~ Endo in Oct, he is the one that tested for Ferritin and anemia. Thanks! FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 09-17-2007, 06:03 AM   #11
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FLFLOWERGIRL View Post
    Audrey--I too have this look and I know that it is the typical "Hypo" look. But, what I don't understand about it is, I am being treated with synthroid and my number is within range 3.? Before I was treated I didn't look like this at a 6-9. Now I am treated and watch the numbers closely due to my iron intake. So, is this really thyroid or Ferritin? Does anyone else look like this with only a low Ferritin? Or is it left over from my anemia? You were not anemic though. I've asked the doctors and they say I don't know why. My Hematologist said that it was just a shadow, OMG! I just want to stop looking ill. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I see my ~wonderful~ Endo in Oct, he is the one that tested for Ferritin and anemia. Thanks! FLFLOWERGIRL
    I don't know what to think about it. For the last 10 years, my TSH has been all over the place. It's been as low as 0.06 and as high as 130! I only get the facial swelling when my TSH goes into the upper 80s. That is a common side effect of severe hypothyroidism.

When my TSH is too low and I'm hyper, I get very fatigued and can get that shadowy look around my eyes. In fact, because I'm fair and now getting older (43) and my skin is thinning, my circles are more noticeable. But this is just "my" thing. My mom's got it too and has no thyroid or anemia issues.

When I had anemia I don't think I looked any different than I did with or without low ferritin.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:24 AM   #12
    Nyxie63
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

FLFLOWERGIRL - Your TSH is at 3? That's still too high. When on thyroid meds, most folks feel better when their TSH is closer to 1 and, if dealing with an autoimmune thyroid disorder, should be closer to 0 for antibody suppression.

Problem is, ferritin is necessary for conversion from T4 to T3, which is the active thyroid hormone. Its entirely possible that you're not converting properly or are underdosed. Until your iron levels are optimized, ask your dr/endo about supplementation with a T3 med like Cytomel. Also make sure that your FreeT3 is tested, along with TSH and FreeT4.

Last edited by Nyxie63; 09-17-2007 at 07:32 AM. Reason: I really should read what I type before sending it... sheesh!

Old 09-17-2007, 01:28 PM   #13
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Nyxie-I am glad that you wrote your post about ferritin and thyroid. I am hypo with hashimoto's. What you said about when you have autoimmune thyroid issue that the tsh should be close to 0 to suppress the antibodies is something I have not heard or read before, but you do have my interest. Can you tell me where you have read this, or did you hear this from your doc or others??It seems my docs have wanted me to be around 1.5 or so. Also what you said about the ferritin is important, and this happened in my case that when I got the ferritin up the t4 and t3 numbers looked their best . I was diagnosed about a year ago.It's been a journey!

Old 09-17-2007, 05:48 PM   #14
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thank you ladies!

I was DX'ed in 2/05 w/Hashi's and we are still trying to get the right dose. I am most likely undermedicated. The doc had just raised my synthroid to 0.075mg, 3 days a wk.when I became anemic and started with heart paps sooooooooo bad. I thought it was the meds, I called and told my doctor I wanted to back down to 0.05mg because my heart was too fast. At the time I really thought that it was the meds, I now know that it wasn't. They went away with the anemia. But my eyes are black in the corners and this is new for me. Like you Christine, I am fair and I have always had rings underneath the eyes and thin skin. You also said somewhere that your hair didn't fall out and mine was really bad when I had 2 Ferritin, it's much, much better at 20. Maybe it's just an individualized thing like symptoms of anemia? I have never been hyper that I know of and the highest I have ever been is 9.02. So, I don't know either.

Nyxie, I know what you are saying about the TSH numbers. I just thought that it didn't make a difference because the old 5 range, thought that at 3 I would be the new high. I never gave it much thought. Don't like to take meds. Maybe this is why I get a leg rash for up to 9 months at a time, itchy! Even that is gone now. My last Free T-4 was 1.16 range 0.93-1.70 and my TSH, 3rd generation 3.160 range 0.270-4.200, Thyroxine T-4 10.9 range 4.5-12.0. I have no clue what those mean. I've only watched the TSH, never understood the other, I let the doc do that. This doesn't sound like me either, I might add. I just thought it was no big deal. I even have a popular autoimmune disease book, if you know what I mean. Does it look like my numbers are messed up from the low Ferritin? My next apt is Oct. 4th. I already hate getting older, this is just no fun.

Osteo--I've always heard that it was a 1 when people feel their best. my doctor always asks how I feel and not just lab results. I hope he is doing me justice. Please let me know what you all think of my numbers, I can take it.
    I never realized that Ferritin had anything to do with this. Thanks for your replies. Glad to hear your numbers are better than mine. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 09-18-2007, 03:15 AM   #15
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I too am confused as to whether the 'dark eye' issue is thyroid or anemia/low iron as both illnesses share a lot of the same symptoms. The fact that my eyes where puffy is what caught the attention of a few medical people as people with thyroid issues can have puffy or bulging or combination of both type eyes. What bothered me was that before i began the iron injections i got so bad that my entire eyeballs actualy hurt and if i touched around my upper eye lids my eyeballs felt swollen and often i would get that burning eye sensation when i closed my lids. I got to the point i wanted to simply take my eyeballs out and sit them in a cool glass of water!!

Now after the injections i still have slightly puffy eyes and darkish circles, but not as bad as before the injections. I will be 41 in Dec so do know that part of it is likely age related.

FLFLOWERS, you said that you take Synthroid but that your hair shedding is improving. I was just curious as i was doing a bit of research and read that some people who are on Synthroid end up with hair loss due to this medication as it's a side effect for some people or some long term users and that some users feel better on a drug which is a combination of T3 and T4, instead of just T4 which i think it said Synthroid was. It is odd that a certain drug is supposed to make you feel better and even help a symptom such as hair loss but an actual side effect of the medication can cause hair loss in some people.

I also read that taking evening primrose oil was of benefit for people who had hypothyroidism as the symptoms are similar to people who lack essential fatty acids in their system. The evening primprose oil is supposed to help with the hair loss symptom in particular. I thought it couldn't do much harm to add EPO so am adding that to my daily diet and we'll see whether there is any difference in perhaps 3 months or so. I have come across people on the Healthboard who highly recommend taking supplements with Omega 3's and 6's, saying it has helped their skin, hair and nails to no end.

Closed Thread