It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Blood tests back, Ferritin up, Iron DOWN???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-17-2007, 08:28 PM   #1
    Dan1978
    (male)

Dan1978 HB User
    Blood tests back, Ferritin up, Iron DOWN???

I was diagnosed as iron deficient about a year ago and have been on supplementation on and off since (mainly on). I recently took another blood test in a non fasting state to see what my blood work looked like and while i was pleased to see my ferritin levels finally going up, my iron levels and transferrin saturation seemed quite low. Also my haemoglobin and RBC count seem much lower. I thought these figures should be higher while i am taking iron supplementation.

Can anybody help and explain to me why most of my values are lower when i would expect them to be higher due to supplementation. (Also, during my last blood test i was still taking supps, so i don't know if this affected the values)

Before starting iron supplementation almost a year ago.

Iron 13 (9-27)
    Transferrin 2.5 (1.8-3.7)
    Transferrin Saturation 20 (10-55)
    Ferritin 29 (30-400)

Haemoglobin 152(130-175)
    RBC 5.30 (4.0-6.5)
    PCV 0.46 (0.40-0.54)
    MCV 85.8 (80-100)
    MCH 28.7 (26-34)
    MCHC 335 (300-360)
    RDW 12.1% (11.5-14.5)

Platelets 330 (150-450)

Taken recently during iron supplementation.

Iron 5 (9-27)
    Transferrin 2.3 (1.8-3.7)
    Transferrin Saturation 8 (10-55)
    Ferritin 61 (30-400)

Haemoglobin 139(130-175)
    RBC 4.96 (4.0-6.5)
    PCV 0.42 (0.40-0.54)
    MCV 83.6 (80-100)
    MCH 28.1 (26-34)
    MCHC 336 (300-360)
    RDW 12.8% (11.5-14.5)

Platelets 413 (150-450)

Last edited by Dan1978; 09-17-2007 at 08:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2007, 04:53 AM   #2
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
    Re: Blood tests back, Ferritin up, Iron DOWN???

That is curious. First off, I do know that the iron tests (not ferritin) are not as reliable/stable as the ferritin. But your saturation level is way down.

The only other thing I know is that any type of inflammatory and/or autoimmune disorder such as lupus or arthritis can give a false "good" reading on ferritin. The disorder will cause the ferritin level to be high as it reacts to the disorder, when in fact, you are still anemic. I've read that when a doctor sees a normal ferritin in the face of what appears to be an iron deficiency anemia it means that the anemia is not caused by an iron shortage problem but most likely caused by the disease/disorder the patient is suffering from.

For instance, my doctor has a form a rheumatoid arthritis that causes destruction of his red blood cells. First glance, it looks like an iron deficiency anemia, but it is not.

It is probably best to see a hematologist at this point; however, you are not really anemic at this point so they might not pay much attention.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:38 AM   #3
    Dan1978
    (male)

Dan1978 HB User

Thanks for the input Christine, i really hope its not due to an autoimmune condition. I too, found it strange that my ferritin levels were up (most likely due to supps), but my iron was down. I figured i shouldn't worry about the iron too much because i hear that levels fluccuate several times a day. What concerned me more was the transferrin saturation, even though i'm not sure what it is, i figured it must be low due too taking many iron supps during the day of my blood test. My RBC count and Haemoglobin have also dropped which is a worry.

Another thing that makes the readings even more strange is that during the last blood test i was 2 months into a cycle of testosterone (for bodybuilding purposes), this meant that i had greatly elevated testosterone levels. What is interesting is that high levels of testosterone should increase RBC production, but in my case the opposite seemed to be happening.

I still feel anemic symptoms, some days worse than others, but it is still there, i'm constantly in a lightheaded, hazy dream-like state. It seems to be worse in the morning, as strange as it sounds, reading shortly after i wake up seems to trigger it. When i don't read in the morning, the symptoms throughout the day are not as bad, but are still there.

I workout heavily 5 days a week, which has been going on for the last 2years and this is probably not helping my case. The cause however of my initial iron depletion seemed to be from a case of gingivitis and ever since having dental surgery the blood loss has more than halved and since then my ferritin levels have gone up. This seemed to indicate to me that it was the main cause of my iron problems.

Well, i think i'm gonna take a week off training, as i have not in almost a year. Hopefully this makes me feel a little better. Thanks again Christine for your help and if you, or anyone else has anymore input it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:13 AM   #4
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dan,

Your transferrin saturation is almost like a mirror of the ferritin. While the other numbers are volatile, the saturation percentage is almost like a ferritin reading. It is how much of the transferrin protein that is saturated with iron. In your case, it's not a lot. So, if your ferritin is high, your transferring sat. should be high. If they are opposite, you believe that the the transferring saturation is a true number and that the ferritin is being "falsely" elevated by some other factor. Could be your testosterone that is giving you a false raise on the ferritin. Or it could be that you have "anemia of chronic disease" that is causing an elevated ferritin. This type of elevation is a false positive and does not indicate a true reading on your stores. If your transferrin saturation is low, then you are truly low on iron.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:14 PM   #5
    Dan1978
    (male)

Dan1978 HB User

Thank you so much Christine for that explanation. Looking at my prior blood tests they seem to point in the direction of "anemia of chronic disease". Apparently you can have this condition as well as iron deficiency, and it seems i may have had the double whammy at one point. Are there any further tests i could do to hopefuly rule out me having this contidion?

Old 09-19-2007, 04:39 AM   #6
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dan1978 View Post
    Thank you so much Christine for that explanation. Looking at my prior blood tests they seem to point in the direction of "anemia of chronic disease". Apparently you can have this condition as well as iron deficiency, and it seems i may have had the double whammy at one point. Are there any further tests i could do to hopefuly rule out me having this contidion?

Well, I'm not sure, but when a doctor is presented with a possible "false" reading on the ferritin but iron deficiency anemia on every other test, you have to start looking at the autoimmune disorders. I believe the first steps are to do a C-Reactive Protein test (this will show an active infection or inflammation--it is elevated in lupus and rheumatoid arthritis). The sedimentation rate test used to be the one that was used, and can still be useful, but apparently is not as accurate as the CRP. Then you should have metabolic panels run that would check your kidney and liver function and all the other metabolic processes as these types of chronic diseases affect those rates. Depending on what comes of them, the doctor can then get more specific (i.e., running lupus test, celiac test, arthritis, etc).

Old 09-23-2007, 08:07 PM   #7
    Dan1978
    (male)

Dan1978 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
    Well, I'm not sure, but when a doctor is presented with a possible "false" reading on the ferritin but iron deficiency anemia on every other test, you have to start looking at the autoimmune disorders. I believe the first steps are to do a C-Reactive Protein test (this will show an active infection or inflammation--it is elevated in lupus and rheumatoid arthritis). The sedimentation rate test used to be the one that was used, and can still be useful, but apparently is not as accurate as the CRP. Then you should have metabolic panels run that would check your kidney and liver function and all the other metabolic processes as these types of chronic diseases affect those rates. Depending on what comes of them, the doctor can then get more specific (i.e., running lupus test, celiac test, arthritis, etc).
    Thanks again Christine, well i went for another blood test and the results are great... except the symptoms remain.

Iron 21 (9-27)
    Transferrin 2.6 (1.8-3.7)
    Transferrin Saturation 32 (10-55)
    Ferritin 54 (30-400)

Antinuclear Ab (ANA) NEGATIVE

Extractable Nuclear Antigens (ENA) NEGATIVE

ESR 6 mm (1-20)

C-Reactive Protein 3 mg/L (0-5)

Rheumatoid Factor 6 IU/mL (RR < 14)

So i suppose this clears me of any autoimmune conditions? Would these tests also clear me of say a chronic infection?

It's all pretty confusing for me at the moment as the blood tests results look good yet i still feel crap.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:25 AM   #8
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dan1978 View Post
    Thanks again Christine, well i went for another blood test and the results are great... except the symptoms remain.

Iron 21 (9-27)
    Transferrin 2.6 (1.8-3.7)
    Transferrin Saturation 32 (10-55)
    Ferritin 54 (30-400)

Antinuclear Ab (ANA) NEGATIVE

Extractable Nuclear Antigens (ENA) NEGATIVE

ESR 6 mm (1-20)

C-Reactive Protein 3 mg/L (0-5)

Rheumatoid Factor 6 IU/mL (RR < 14)

So i suppose this clears me of any autoimmune conditions? Would these tests also clear me of say a chronic infection?

It's all pretty confusing for me at the moment as the blood tests results look good yet i still feel crap.

Your numbers do look pretty good. An ESR and CRP would probably be elevated if you had a chronic infection. But a CBC checking your white blood counts would probably need to be done also.

Your ferritin, of 54, is low for a man and that could possibly give you your symptoms, but getting a doctor in the U.S. to buy that is probably slim.

I hate to say it but sometimes when you have crappy symptoms, there's just no explanation for them. I've been feeling poorly for many years and up until recently my labs were perfect. It's very frustrating.

Closed Thread