It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Just Got My B12 Lab Results Back Today, Could My Results Be Causing My Symptoms?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-12-2007, 12:38 PM   #16
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User
    Re: Just Got My B12 Lab Results Back Today, Could My Results Be Causing My Symptoms?

Tifferzz-Glad to hear that the pieces of the puzzle are coming together for you! You have really done a great job being the proactive health consumer. Excellent work!!!! I like the way that you got right into the hematologist when your family doc didn't move it along. I hope the hematologist works together with you to resolve your issues and that soon you are up and moving around like you used to.
    I know that Christine chimed in about her sublingual b 12 from the health food store that comes in a dropper. I am taking a product that is a b complex incl. b12 that also comes from the health food store that is a tablet that dissolves under the tongue so I guess there are different types of sublingual. It seems to be working for me , my b12 was at the top of the range last time I was tested. I am moving out from the usual md situation, I have an appt. with a naturopath coming up and understand that she is supposed to be one of the best in the large metro area in which I live. Her specialty is women's health issues and I am really looking forward to learning what she will recommend on lab tests and supplementation. I have found that the mds are just not that interested in advising about supplementation until you get in the deficient category. And, also there are some supplements that are known to be helpful for all that they just don't mention. I guess what I am missing is a doctor with a wellness, preventitve orientation. That is what I am looking for. One book that I found helpful in this area was The Real Age Makeover by Dr. Michael Roizen. I have also seen him on Oprah, sometimes with Dr. Oz and also on the public television station. As you are so proactive with your health , you may want to check out his book at the library or book store , it is interesting.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2007, 01:26 PM   #17
    Isis498
    Veteran
    (female)

Isis498 HB User
    Re: Just Got My B12 Lab Results Back Today, Could My Results Be Causing My Symptoms?

It really IS best to be on top of things like this, especially when some Drs. don't seem to be. Or when they kinda overlook things. Another thing; it is of more significance when a low B-12 shows up in a younger person like this, and the cause needs to be found. Unless you've been a strict Vegan or Vegetarian for quite a few years, had intestinal surgery, taking some sort of medicine that would cause it, maybe a few other reasons, it is not really normal for a younger person's B-12 to get very low.

Pernicious Anemia isn't that common in younger people, but it does happen.

It's best to find out why you have it; not just blindly treat it and go about your business.

Oh, and I reread my first post; my B-12 level was NOT 464 a year ago, it was 517. And has now, 6 months later fallen to 162. Thats a big drop for that short of a time. I think I need to mention that to my Dr., as I haven't had a chance yet.

No, I don't think the shots sting, it's just a quick jab like any other injection.

Last edited by Isis498; 10-12-2007 at 01:28 PM.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:02 PM   #18
    meeganone43
    (female)

meeganone43 HB User

would you all PLEASE tell me what all your symtems were and wereyour numbers all REAl low? mine is low normal and the neouroligist is checking it for the 3rd time have seen that low normal can cause the same symtems . thanks

Old 10-12-2007, 03:16 PM   #19
    Tifferzz
    (female)

Tifferzz HB User

Hi there again Isis and osteoblast. Yeap osteoblast, I was determined to figure out what is wrong with me. I mean I knew it wasn't normal to go how I was ... to how I am now. I was tired of Doctors saying it could be this, it could be that and not test me. I was tired of Doctors not figuring it out. I mean it is their job to figure out what is wrong with us. I think if it wasn't for this message board and me being determined .... who knows where I would be right now. I would probably be a little guinea pig, just sitting here with no energy, listening to what doctors tell me. Telling me ohhhh, your levels are fine. Or oh I don't go by that on a lab report, I go by this. I was also thinking I was just getting old. I am 34 but I was like thinking to myself .... maybe this is what it feels like to get old?? This message board has helped me a lot and I learned sooooooo much from a lot of people here, so thank you all. I don't post all of the time, but I do read different sections of this board just about every day. Good luck with your up-coming appointment osteoblast!! It sounds like you will be going to an awesome place!! I will definitely keep in mind the supplements after my initial appointment with the Hematologist. I just don't want to take anything yet .... because I am not sure what tests he will do. I don't want to alter any tests that he may have planned and I want to make sure nothing else is causing my low ferritin levels and low B12. And ohhhhhhh I love Dr.Oz!!!!! He is awesome!! I will definitely check out that book that you mentioned, thank you!!

Isis, yeah I am curious to see why my B12 is low. I am not a vegetarian and I never have been. I eat meats and eggs and I LOVE dairy!! So, yeah I am curious to figure out why. The only other medication I am on is Percocet. I am on that for my lower back problems. I have had back problemes for yearsssss. I need an anterior/posterior spinal fusion. I don't want that right now, so I am on percocet until I decide to do the surgery. That is how I originally found this board a few years ago. I would always post in the back problems section. I was on Birth Control Pills until the end of August 2007. I am not on B.C. anymore and am just on percocet for my back. I am glad that the B12 shots don't hurt much. I was worried .... I was reading that they sting and stuff, and I was wondering to myself .... how much do they sting?? LOL. Wow your B12 is REALLY low too!! Do they know the cause of your low B12??

Old 10-12-2007, 03:31 PM   #20
    Tifferzz
    (female)

Tifferzz HB User

Hi meeganone43, I will list all of my symptoms that I have been having for about a year now, I hope this helps you. What kind of symptoms are you having? How low are your lab numbers?

My symptoms have been:

1. Always VERY tired and fatigued with NO Energy!!

2. Brown patches on my face and around my lips.

3. My arms and legs fall asleep VERY easily. Then occasionally my hands and feet will kind of tingle. It almost feels like they are about to fall asleep, but they don't. It's just like the initial tingle of them about to fall asleep, but then don't fully go asleep.

4. I get lightheaded, where I feel like I am going to faint.

5. I have lost 30 pounds since November/December 2006.

6. I bruise easily, I always have a black and blue mark on me somewhere.

7. I get irritated VERY easily now a days.

8. Vaginal Dryness

9. Loss of sex drive

10. Sometimes I get to where my brain cannot think and I forget simple things, my brain used to work VERY well, maybe too well LOL, but not anymore it doesn't!!

11. I am always either hot or cold ... always!! Especially cold hands and feet. During the whole summer, I pretty much had my robe on in the house. If I turned up the thermostat, then I would get really hot, and have to turn it back down. I wake up in the middle of the night sweaty (not every night but it does happen a few times a week).

12. Sometimes I get out of breath and my heart beats really fast just from walking up my steps in my house. It doesn't happen every single time. I never know when it is going to happen, it just happens.

13. I have sporadic bouts of high blood pressure.

14. My hair is thinning BIG TIME and falling out!

15. For the past 2 months or so, my eyes have been doing this weird moving thing. Like both eyes will move side to side really fast for like maybe 2 seconds maybe 3 seconds, but they move back and forth really, really fast and at the same time and I can't stop it. Like it will happen for those couple of seconds, then it will go away.

That is all of the symptoms that I have been having over the past year.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:40 PM   #21
    meeganone43
    (female)

meeganone43 HB User

laying at night feels like ther are tinybugsbitingme have acuallygot out of bed and searched . not so much pins and needles in my legs but like sparks going off in them , tired , white patches on upper arms hot or cold , sweating although this statred a year ago they balme it onn menapause , i was 42 then, dizziness fuzzy thinking i don't know what my number is wish i did.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:49 PM   #22
    OWL77
    (female)

OWL77 HB User

Tifferzz,

I agree with Isis498. It’s better to start with injections and then perhaps in the future try another method. When I finished my first full week of loading doses, I broke out in ugly, painful acne along my hairline. I asked my doctor if I could switch to sublinguals. She agreed (I’m the first patient she’s had with B12 deficiency), and I quickly went down hill fast. I felt so awful that I was afraid I’d totally messed things up. I quickly went back to injections of cyano B12. By the way, I’ve read that it’s the hydroxy B12 (used in the UK and other places) that stings, not cyano (used in US). My husband injects me in the arm, and the only time it stings is if he accidentally hits a blood vessel, but it’s no big deal at all. I’ve been on injections for three months. I’m supposed to be getting them once a month, but it’s been a struggle to make it to one week without what I call a “relapse.” So I still take shots once or twice every week. My recovery has been completely up and down with the downs being horrible and discouraging. In the past, when I read about other people feeling better, I never thought it could happen for me. But honestly, in the last couple of weeks, I’m finally beginning to have moments of optimism. I told my husband that he must tell me constantly that I’m going to get better; it helps!
    I was at 329 when I began treatment; “normal,” but I was very, very sick. I felt like I was dying. New symptoms popped up all the time, and many of them caused anxiety. Even when I got up to 1200, my symptoms continued. I still have symptoms, but they don’t last as long and most are milder than they used to be. I’m tired 24/7, so I’m thinking that’s the last thing that will go away. The fatigue is not debilitating like it used to be, though. I can actually ignore it and forget about it until someone brings it up.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-20-2015 at 03:14 PM.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:49 PM   #23
    Tifferzz
    (female)

Tifferzz HB User

Hi meeganone43, have your doctors done any tests on you at all? If so, you could ask them for copies of all lab tests that they have done on you, that way you could see the reports and numbers on your own. That is what I started doing. They actually thought I had a Thyroid problem, They thought I was anemic (but my regular blood work, called a CBC, came back normal), they also thought I may be going through pre-menopause. I am still wondering if part of my problem could be that (the premonopause). That may explain my high FSH and low testosterone maybe??

Please tell us if you know what kinds of tests your doctors have done on you.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:03 PM   #24
    Tifferzz
    (female)

Tifferzz HB User

Hi olwynUFO Yeah .... that is what I am going to do. I am sure the Hematologist will want to do the shots on me at first. At least from what I have been reading lately ... that is what he should do, so we'll see what he says at my appointment. I hope I am not getting all excited here, and I go there and he turns out like some of these other doctors!! I will be sooooo mad. Although, from how the office staff was on the phone the other day ..... I don't think they will be like other doctors. I mean they scheduled the appointment for me without my family doctor calling them, after I gave them my lab numbers. So that was good! I just hope and pray that they are good and will listen to me and help me figure it out and get me on the right track.

Also it is soooooooooo good to hear about the "cyano". I am afraid of the sting LOL. I am a wuss when it comes to that stuff!! Wow, that is interesting about the acne .... I wonder why the B12 caused that? Is that a side affect of the shots? Eeeekkk ..... give my hubby a needle?? That is scarey, ha ha ha. He may try to get me back for being so irritable lately LOL. I have been reading that it can take awhile to feel better and not be so tired after giving your body the B12 it needs. I think I am thinking "oh, I will get the shots, in a week I will be back to myself". I better stop thinking that way! I am glad that things are looking better for you olwynUFO!! I am glad that the symptoms don't last long now and also glad the fatigue is starting to get a little better for you. I hope it continues to do so

Have they figured out why your B12 was low? Did you have anything else that was low or high? Like low ferritin or anything like that?

Old 10-12-2007, 05:36 PM   #25
    alaska_free
    (female)

alaska_free HB User

Hi Isi8,

I do subcutaneous injections for the B12. It goes about an inch below the skin in the fatty part of the stomach (or whats left of it). It gets absorb into the blood stream within a couple hours. From what I have been told and researched, it is common to get them this way.

Alaska

Old 10-12-2007, 05:46 PM   #26
    OWL77
    (female)

OWL77 HB User

The only other thing that tested low for me was B6, so I'm taking a B-complex vitamin every day. My ferritin was 89 (10-232ng/mL), considered normal. I take Flintstone chewables; I read about them on this board. I've been a vegetarian for ten years and a vegan for three, and I never bothered taking vitamins before this. I've reintroduced dairy into my diet, but I'm afraid to eat meat besides fish. I used to eat lots of soy, but I've given that up since I've read how it can wreak havoc on your thyroid.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-20-2015 at 03:13 PM.

Old 10-12-2007, 05:47 PM   #27
    alaska_free
    (female)

alaska_free HB User

Tifferzz,

The shots really don't hurt much. Thanks to the B-12 deficiency, part of my stomach is numb. So I don't really feel it. My dr has me use a very tiny-insulin needle. I am using the cyano and get no stingy at all. Just a tiny pitch and that's it.

I am actually having problems with my family dr. He refuses to believe the B-12 test that my neurologist ordered is correct. The same test that showed 155. The funny thing is that I got a call this afternoon from the neurologist office at a major medical hospital asking me to come in early for a follow up appointment to go over all the test. It took me almost 3 months to get in for a new patient but only a week for follow up. Makes me wonder if they know something that I don't. I can live with the B-12 deficiency, if we manage it correctly.

This is the first week that I have made it through with just one shot. Last week was pretty hairy going from 1 a day for 7 days to 1 a week. I relapse last Friday and it was scary.

alaska

Old 10-12-2007, 05:57 PM   #28
    alaska_free
    (female)

alaska_free HB User

Hi Meegan,

Alot of my symptoms started about 7-8 months ago. The symptoms progressed quickly during the last 3-4 months. Here are the symptoms

1. Weight loss. Lost about 20-25 lbs in the last year. It is hard to gain weight.

2. Nausea and no interest in eating

3. Neuropathy that started in the right foot, moved to left. Then moved to the knees, shoulder, and hands.

4. Weakness in the hands and some in the feet

5. Hair falling out

6. Dizziness and occasionally will pass out. Found myself on the floor several times.

7. Always tired but blammed it on grad school.

8. Heart always racing/beating fast.

9. High blood pressure

10. Bruise easily and extremely heavy periods.

11. In the past couple months, vision is weird. Some twitching and blurry vision.

My B-12 level in April was around 315. Now, in September it dropped to 155. The symptoms progressed around May-June.

alaska

Old 10-24-2007, 01:54 PM   #29
    CTweet
    (female)

CTweet HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Just Got My B12 Lab Results Back Today, Could My Results Be Causing My Symptoms?

Alaska Free

Are you in Anchorage? I just got word today that my B12 lab was 112. You have mentioned a few docs and was hoping for a good/bad report!

I learned about low b12 from a show one night. Mystery Diagnosis. I have been on several pain medications for almost 6 weeks following a cholecystectomy that only made my problems WORSE! I am in chronic pain, chronic fatique and chornic gastric issues. Even with the chronic fatique the pain pills keep me up most the night hence catching mystery dianosis ha ha

I am happy to read this thread and see that I think we were definetely on the right track. This is the first and only time you will hear me state "God bless TV"

Unfortunately I have never had a b12 level before so I don't really know what is "normal" for me or not.

Last edited by CTweet; 10-24-2007 at 01:56 PM.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:33 AM   #30
    Isis498
    Veteran
    (female)

Isis498 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CTweet View Post
    Alaska Free

Are you in Anchorage? I just got word today that my B12 lab was 112. You have mentioned a few docs and was hoping for a good/bad report!

I learned about low b12 from a show one night. Mystery Diagnosis. I have been on several pain medications for almost 6 weeks following a cholecystectomy that only made my problems WORSE! I am in chronic pain, chronic fatique and chornic gastric issues. Even with the chronic fatique the pain pills keep me up most the night hence catching mystery dianosis ha ha

I am happy to read this thread and see that I think we were definetely on the right track. This is the first and only time you will hear me state "God bless TV"

Unfortunately I have never had a b12 level before so I don't really know what is "normal" for me or not.
    Hey, not Alaska here, but I can tell you that "Normal" for ANYONE is definitely not close to 112!

I imagine on your report it will state your lab range would be somewhere around 220-850 -ish as normal ranges. You are at the bottom of the barrel. An average normal person who is healthy would be around 1,000 or so.

I would always get paper copies of any lab work I have done if I were you and keep them, if you don't already, so you can refer back to them in the future. I do. Just ask for them, they are required by law to give you copies, or of any of your medical records for that matter.

I hope you are on, ( or will be quickly since you only heard about this today) shots to get yours up by now.

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Closed Thread