It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Iron Deficient Anemia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-17-2007, 05:25 PM   #1
    bikerbabe
    (female)

bikerbabe HB User
    Iron Deficient Anemia

Hello,

I have iron deficient anemia. In the last year and a half I've had at least 15 blood transfusions and maybe half that many iron infusions. They still don't know what's causing it. I've had all the scopes, CT scans and blood work. I've had something called double balloon entroscopy. The last word isn't correct, but I can't remember it right. I had it Aug. 1st. I'm scheduled to have another next month on the 7th. The reason being.. I had another bleed so they're thinking the doctor missed a spot. What it does is go into the small intestine with an accordion effect. Drawing the intestine up and looking at it to see if there's bleeding. If there is, the doc cauterizes it as he goes. Apparently it's a fairly new test as there's only one doc in Dallas that does it. I have to drive an hour to his hospital. The bone marrow test has been suggested also but not all of my docs ( and I have a bunch ) agree on it.

Question... Does anyone know how many transfusions is too many?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: Iron Deficient Anemia

bikerbabe--Any transfusion OR infusion is RISKY business. Your question how many is too many, is a good question. I am no expert but I do know that you can have too much iron build up in your body and this causes problems. Blood transfusions are also a risk if your body has a reaction to it. I'm sure you already know all this. I THINK that Iron Overload is the main problem.

It sounds like you know that your bleed is in the intestines. I can't believe that it has gone on so long and they haven't found it yet. The procedure that your describing sounds very new, good for you to have such technology available. I hope they find your problem and I wish you luck with your next visit. Keep us posted and ask your doctor the question, how many are too many. FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread