It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• False high ferritin test questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-05-2007, 07:50 PM   #1
    auxano
    (female)

auxano HB User
    False high ferritin test questions

Has anyone had a false high test back?
    I have been to the Dr after getting a 90 ferritin level when 5 months ago it was only 11.

She suggested I re test in a few weeks time as I think I may have a yeast infection and also had a funny tummy 10 days ago. So she wonders if I have some sort of inflammation and this may have elevated my reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2007, 09:12 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: False high ferritin test questions

I have never had a false Ferritin test but I've had a CBC and CMP that came back totally messed up. The doctor that read the result said that my liver enzymes were elevated and asked if I had Hep C. My GI doctor said that my blood was misshandled. I did see the MA drop the vial on the floor, but I didn't know that would mess it up. GI doc did a retest 2 weeks later or so and it came back normal.

Your doctor wants to retest you so she must think there might be a mistake/reason and it does happen. Keep us posted. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 11-06-2007, 11:12 AM   #3
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User
    Re: False high ferritin test questions

Auxano-Yesterday when I read your lab info , I thought it was strange- such a jump in ferritin. I thought perhaps something to do with menstrual cycle, or I had thought perhaps some internal bleeding previously that had stopped. Some big change OR a lab error. I don't have much knowledge in this area at all though. I just had a somewhat low ferritin 37 and it took so long to move it up. So, when compared to my experience your quick increase to a level that seems so where we would all like to be PLUS some additional 20 points or so seemed like there is/was more to this story. A re-test soon sounds great. Do you have the option of using another lab when you get the re-test?

Closed Thread